Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many miles with it? Thoughts? I've read through a few older threads but have not heard much about them recently. Interested to hear how it feels with some mileage on it.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
I have somewhere around 40-50K on mine.

Some people like them and some people don't. I like mine. Shifts feel crisper, smoother and more car-like. But there a little extra noise (from both the transmission and the shifter itself) and the gates feel narrower (6th gear was a challenge at first and I still miss it on occasion).

I don't ever recommend it one way or the other because I think it's very much personal preference.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Some people like them and some people don't. I like mine. Shifts feel crisper, smoother and more car-like. But there a little extra noise (from both the transmission and the shifter itself) and the gates feel narrower (6th gear was a challenge at first and I still miss it on occasion).

I don't ever recommend it one way or the other because I think it's very much personal preference.
Thanks for the input, With that many miles on it is there any slop?

·
Premium Member
1,765 Posts

A month late, but this. All of that.

60k+ on mine. Solid as the day I put it in. Makes the same noise it did then too. Wouldn't go back to stock even if I could.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
Sounds fun! I see $329 @PRG. How was the install?

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
How was the install?

Easy, aside from the fact that I somehow managed to slice my hand open. I spent as much time cleaning up blood as I did installing the shifter.

^If you are wondering whether the intent of that last sentence was to emphasize the extent of blood loss or the relative ease of the project, it could go either way. :)

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
752 Posts
The occasional shift from 5 to 6 at highway speed can be frustrating. The gates are close and easy to miss during an quick maneuver. It could very well be user error. It maybe even gear oil, yeah that's it.

·
Premium Member
6,057 Posts
This mod is really moving up my wanna-do list.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
The occasional shift from 5 to 6 at highway speed can be frustrating. The gates are close and easy to miss during an quick maneuver. It could very well be user error. It maybe even gear oil, yeah that's it.

I was thinking about this earlier today when I drove my 6-speed Subaru to work, came home at lunch and switched vehicles, started driving the Frontier, and almost immediately missed 6th because I forgot which vehicle I was driving for a second.

The problem with 6th gear and the short throw shifter is that the gate is pretty narrow anyway, and the short throw leaves you a lot less room for error. The shifter has to come STRAIGHT BACK or you'll miss.

I have found that if I rotate my hand out 90 degrees when I move the shifter into 6th gear, I am significantly more consistent and I virtually never miss.

If you think it's totally ridiculous to have to do this in order to drive, you might not be a good candidate for the short throw shifter...hahaha.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
If you just want to take out some of the rubbery feel get someone with a welder to weld the rubber flex part of the shaft solid. Doesn't change the throws except taking out the rubbery flex.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I don't quite get how 6th gear could be that hard to get into. I just got my Frontier and this is one of the first mods besides a tonneau cover that I would really like to do. Are yall trying to shift directly in a straight line from 5th to 6th instead of 2 staging it from 5th to neutral & neutral to 6th? I'm use to a really tight 6-speed racing shifter with long lever. The total maximum throw of it is less than 6cm, but its an extremely precise throw with ZERO slop ANYWHERE within its movement.

Is the PRG short shifter like that, or is there even a small hint of slop anywhere? If it wiggles even 0.5mm total in neutral or in each gear that would be considered slop, but not something I would ever hold against it. Just looking to reduce the throw and get a more direct and precise feel in the shifter - don't expect it to compete with a German racing unit for sportscars.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I was thinking about this earlier today when I drove my 6-speed Subaru to work, came home at lunch and switched vehicles, started driving the Frontier, and almost immediately missed 6th because I forgot which vehicle I was driving for a second.

The problem with 6th gear and the short throw shifter is that the gate is pretty narrow anyway, and the short throw leaves you a lot less room for error. The shifter has to come STRAIGHT BACK or you'll miss.

I have found that if I rotate my hand out 90 degrees when I move the shifter into 6th gear, I am significantly more consistent and I virtually never miss.

If you think it's totally ridiculous to have to do this in order to drive, you might not be a good candidate for the short throw shifter...hahaha.

Not a problem, I already do the same thing with the stock shifter. Still haven't ordered the PRG FX, it's a lot of money for a Canadian.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I love mine, and I never have problems going from 5th to 6th in fact I don't have any problems going into any of the forward gears. Every now and then if I don't push down hard enough on the shifter to go into reverse it won't go in but as long as I pushed down all the way it always goes into reverse. And as far as noise, I don't have any odd or unusual noise either.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
I love mine, and I never have problems going from 5th to 6th in fact I don't have any problems going into any of the forward gears. Every now and then if I don't push down hard enough on the shifter to go into reverse it won't go in but as long as I pushed down all the way it always goes into reverse. And as far as noise, I don't have any odd or unusual noise either.
What type of transmission fluid are you running, just out of curiosity?

So almost three months ago I stated that the PRG shifter felt the same as the day I installed it, and then about a month ago I mentioned that I missed 6th gear once and attributed it to the fact that I was still getting used to my new car.

Missing 6th gear has continued to be an issue. This past weekend, I took a 500+ mile road trip...and I found myself missing it a lot. Maybe one out of every 3 shifts. :-/ I haven't had this much trouble with the short throw shifter since installing it several years ago. I am also now having a little more trouble getting the shifter into reverse than I have in the past. When I jiggle the shifter, it seems like it has a little more play than I remember, but I'm not entirely sure.

At this point, I can't figure out if it's psychological (2.5 month old "new" car still? or maybe this thread was in the back of my mind?) or if it actually is harder to get into 6th than before (but why? old fluid? old transmission? worn shifter?). Since I'm comfortable driving my truck, I actually suspect it's the latter.

I've been contemplating whether to changing the transmission fluid (less than 2 years old) or tossing the stock shifter back in should be my next step. (If I take the short throw out and inspect it, will there be obvious visual signs if it is causing my latest set of problems?)

Just figured I'd mention it since the thread got bumped and I think full disclosure is a good thing.

·
Premium Member
5,731 Posts
What type of transmission fluid are you running, just out of curiosity?

So almost three months ago I stated that the PRG shifter felt the same as the day I installed it, and then about a month ago I mentioned that I missed 6th gear once and attributed it to the fact that I was still getting used to my new car.

Missing 6th gear has continued to be an issue. This past weekend, I took a 500+ mile road trip...and I found myself missing it a lot. Maybe one out of every 3 shifts. :-/ I haven't had this much trouble with the short throw shifter since installing it several years ago. I am also now having a little more trouble getting the shifter into reverse than I have in the past. When I jiggle the shifter, it seems like it has a little more play than I remember, but I'm not entirely sure.

At this point, I can't figure out if it's psychological (2.5 month old "new" car still? or maybe this thread was in the back of my mind?) or if it actually is harder to get into 6th than before (but why? old fluid? old transmission? worn shifter?). Since I'm comfortable driving my truck, I actually suspect it's the latter.

I've been contemplating whether to changing the transmission fluid (less than 2 years old) or tossing the stock shifter back in should be my next step. (If I take the short throw out and inspect it, will there be obvious visual signs if it is causing my latest set of problems?)

Just figured I'd mention it since the thread got bumped and I think full disclosure is a good thing.
I know he can be hard to get a hold of, but I'd talk to Greg before taking anything apart. He is probably going to know what you need to be looking for.

With that said, as a thought, back in the day I had a 1st gen Dodge Neon that I put poly bushings on the shifter ($30 kit that replaced all the worn rubber bushings) and I found while it made the shifter more precise, the adjustment of the shifter became more critical and 5th and reverse would be difficult to grab if you didn't adjust it just right. So, the PRG shifter may be similar due to not having rubber bushings.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Junior NV I am running Amsoil, I'm wondering what Greg (PRG)would have to say about this problem.

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I will contact Greg and post up what he says. I'm sure those of you considering this product would like to know whether this has a solution or if it's a long term durability issue.
I would really like to know! Keep us posted.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts