Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Me and "him" (this dude at my work who drives a... pfft... Dodge Dakota) are at a diffrence of opinions. I just took him on a ride in my truck because I want to get his $.02 on what this noise is that I hear coming from my truck.

He says that its my tires. The sound is like whoom whoom whoom (1 whoom per wheel rotation) And realy only hear it under brakeing or turning sharply. The other thing "he" said is that if I got a more aggressive tire like a BFG a/t, that the noise would be the same, or louder!
I said, you ouch yo fu(k'en mind son!!! this is A nissan, and its a 2005, not some 20 year old chevy. I think its some thing in the bearings, and am trying to get my money back from the dealer over this noise.

Please help!

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
What is this your four topic about this?

It's your f*ck tires. Live with the noise or replace them. No need to keep starting new topics about the same thing.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is this your four topic about this?

It's your f*ck tires. Live with the noise or replace them. No need to keep starting new topics about the same thing.
NO dick! I got like 10 diffrent answers. I don't know who or what to believe. AND I HAVE HAD THE SAME TIRES FOR THE LAST 4 MONTHS, AND THEY NEVER MADE NOISE BEFORE!

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Okay, since you are obviously a little pissed at the situation. Why not make this a poll with the possible suggested issues and have everyone vote on it.

I think your main contenders are going to be the wheels (possibly not symetric anymore) or they are just too agressive. It could be your rotors being slightly warped. It could also be your e-brake shoes acting weird.

If you still believe it is the bearings, then have them replaced and see if that fixes it. Just beware that you will probably have to do this on your own dime and it won't be cheap since you probably don't have the tools (like a lot of us dont) to perform this task in our driveways.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Okay, since you are obviously a little pissed at the situation. Why not make this a poll with the possible suggested issues and have everyone vote on it.

I think your main contenders are going to be the wheels (possibly not symetric anymore) or they are just too agressive. It could be your rotors being slightly warped. It could also be your e-brake shoes acting weird.

If you still believe it is the bearings, then have them replaced and see if that fixes it. Just beware that you will probably have to do this on your own dime and it won't be cheap since you probably don't have the tools (like a lot of us dont) to perform this task in our driveways.
OK, thanks. But will A/T tires give you that sound? More so the biger the tire you get? I know the biger the tire you have the more road noise, but it should be a constent drone not whoom whoom whoom. Right? If i'm wronge tell me, I'll shut up.

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
If the tires is completely symetric and there are no flaws in the tread then it will be constant. The more extreme the tire, the louder it will be at highway speed. An AT will be louder then a HT but the MT and Boggers will be the loudest. If you have a chunk missing from the tire, even a small one, that may cause your noise once per revolution louder then the rest of the rotation.

You may want to jack up the truck and rotate the tires freely and check them out for any imperfections. You may also want to rotate the tires front to back to see if the noise changes. It may be just one tires that is bogus. You can also test them tire by tire by replacing one at a time with your spare. If you go thru all 4 and nothing changes, then it isn't a tire or it is all the tires.

I guess it is time for troubleshooting.

·
Registered
293 Posts
If your truck was 20 years old I'd say it might have something to do with bearings, altho, if it was bearings, it wouldn't sound like a "whoom, whoom" but more of a growl or whine. If it was warped rotors, you probably would feel the front of the truck shimmy under braking. I'm going with your tires. You have a link to discount tires on your postings, I'd have to say that if you got cheap tires, they are probably ublems or at the vary least not good enough for a real tire shop to want to sell. (ie) out of round, or poor binding where the steel belts join.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
My tires make an similar noise to what you are describing when I'm braking. I have bfg m/ts.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
When was the last time an alignment was done?

If you run your hands around the edges of the tires on either side, is it round or does there seem to be uneven wear? I don't know if I caught the previous thread on this and you if already answered, so sorry if you have.

It sounds like it is probably an alignment issue that has caused multiple flat spots on the edge of the tires. That is my current problem, and since I am needing new tires up front and the tread is low, I can clearly see the uneven wear, it looks like a stop sign.

An aggressive AT tread like BFG KO's do make a similar noise once they get about 1/2 their tread gone. the gaps aren't as narrow and allow for more echo and "whomping" as the tread "claps" the pavement. I use to experience this all the time on my old jeep.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Also something else to put into consideration....some tires begin to make more noise the more they wear down

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
They are Michelin cross terrain. stock size and have a very road tread. But I do notice, just on the out side of the tire at the front of each trade its raised about 2mm. Is that enough to hear when driving? And I put a 2 inch lift in about 2 months ago and had it alined right away.

When was the last time an alignment was done?

If you run your hands around the edges of the tires on either side, is it round or does there seem to be uneven wear? I don't know if I caught the previous thread on this and you if already answered, so sorry if you have.

Well if I run my hands on it I can def feel the raised portion of the tread.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
They are Michelin cross terrain. stock size and have a very road tread. But I do notice, just on the out side of the tire at the front of each trade its raised about 2mm. Is that enough to hear when driving? And I put a 2 inch lift in about 2 months ago and had it alined right away.

Well if I run my hands on it I can def feel the raised portion of the tread.
Buy camber bolts from PRG and then re-align the truck. I have a 2.5" and did an alignment right after, still didn't fix anything.

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I have the same noise that you described. I have terragrapplers and they are half way through their life, plus I need an alignment... It's also possible that it could be the wheel bearings making the noise.

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Buy camber bolts from PRG and then re-align the truck. I have a 2.5" and did an alignment right after, still didn't fix anything.
Do you have the camber bolts and it still did nothing?

Maybe it's your windows.
LOL! Yeah, good one!

I have the same noise that you described. I have terragrapplers and they are half way through their life, plus I need an alignment... It's also possible that it could be the wheel bearings making the noise.
Did you put a lift in and not aline? How did your alinement go out?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts