Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I dipped tobacco for over 35 years and occasionally bummed cigarettes from friends.
117 days ago I had my last of any tobacco.
Vaping has worked for me to quit tobacco, although not the nicotine just yet.
I started on 18mg strength juices and now I'm down to 12mg and 6mg juices.
The plan would be to get to 0mg juices eventually.

I have more than a dozen flavors currently that I rotate, 2 of them being my "go-to" flavors that I always have on hand.

#1 go to flavor is "Vented" by Alloy Blends.
#2 go to flavor is "Blue Voodoo" by Mr. E-liquid.
(Although in reality they are probably tied for first on my list)

My equipment is a Sigelei Z-max V5 flat top telescopic VV VW, a Vamo V5 also VV and VW, miscellaneous other twist batteries not worth mentioning. My tank of choice is Kanger Pro Tank 2s (pyrex not plastic), which I have 11 currently, all with different flavors of course.

I like the chargeable/removable batteries in the Segelei and Vamo. That means you always have a fresh battery on standby. I carry the Vamo mostly to work etc. just because it was dirt cheap and if something happens to it I wouldn't be that upset. And it's the smaller of the two devices using an 18350 battery, so it fits in my pocket better.

I just started rebuilding the coils (singles) and can usually get 4 or 5 rebuilds on the same coil before the rubber grommets/gaskets start to show the wear and tear.

So anyway, was just curious how many of my CF brothers and sisters are vaping and what your experiences are with it, feel free to post here.

I'm particularly interested in finding some new juice flavors so any suggestions would be appreciated.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Congrats on ditching tobacco. I had a brief stint with "chew" that ended abruptly with a violent fit of vomiting.

I'm not into vaping, but I do chew on pens and ice. My dentist recommended I tone things down after smoothing a chipped tooth for me and I have to wear a tooth guard at night. I'm not so quite bad anymore, I used to literally chew pens and other stuff to pieces. Now our puppy has taken over that duty.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I stopped keeping track somewhere around the 1 year mark, but I've got pretty close to 4 years under my belt since I've used tobacco. I started out with a basic 510 kit and thought it was great until I discovered eGos. I experimented with a few different variations of the eGo including some with VV and for the most part I was pretty happy until about 6 months ago. I don't know what changed but all of a sudden my trusty cartos (smoktech dual coil megas) started dying way too fast so I decided it was time for something new. I had tried a friend's mech a few times and loved the simplicity of the design and the potential customization of your vape so I made the leap. I got a stainless steel Nemesis mod and a Nimbus RDA (rebuildable dripping atomizer) and jumped in with both feet. It took a little while to fine tune exactly what resistance I liked and how to properly wick my coils, but now I don't know how I ever got by with the eGos. The difference is like smoking a fully lit cigarette vs on that just barely got lit on one side. Yesterday I picked up a UD IGO W6, which is another RDA, and absolutely love it so far although it is a pain to build on. Personally I didn't start vaping to quit nicotine so I haven't worked at reducing my level, but even so, I started at 18-24mg and am now using 12mg.

I've got a pretty long list of flavors that I like but I'll just list a few in no particular order:
-Most of the LionsHead line from Madvapes.com
-French Vanilla Tobacco from Madvapes.com (this one can be hit or miss depending on the batch)
-Black and Blue Cheese (black and blueberry cheesecake) from ITCVapes.com
-DragonDew from ITCVapes.com
-Black Tea from eLiquidPlanet.com

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have an HH357 atty that I love to pieces (Hit Youtube if not familiar with it) .
Dripping is obviously not as convenient as a tank, but man the flavor and vape are so distinctively different (better).
I use the atty mostly at home.
I've been eyeballing RDAs for a while now.
That might be my next purchase in the vape world.

Also forgot to mention if you run Protank 2s, get the airflow control bases.
They make a huge difference (no matter what tank you have airflow control is vital to getting the best vape you can, from a tank at least).
Found that out when I purchased my Aspire Natilus which had airflow control standard on that tank.

I'll have to investigate some of those flavors cstone, thanks!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
I completely agree about the airflow! It is even more true on drippers. The Nimbus RDA I have just has 2 air holes which are very small. I drilled them out within a couple days and immediately saw a huge improvement, but some of my lower ohm builds still needed more air so I drilled them out even more and now I can't run higher ohm builds on that atty. That's why I got the IGO-W6. It has an adjustable airflow ring so I can choose whatever is right for my current build and flavor. It is also quad coil native and capable of up to 8 coils so I can run anything from 1-8 coils in it. Dripping with an RDA can actually be pretty convenient with the right amount of cotton in it. With my current build I can vape for around 30 minutes before refilling. A cargo/tanko/clearo setup will definitely be more convenient, but the RDA isn't bad. Luckily they are much easier to refill than most other setups so the frequent refills are more tolerable.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
Been cig free since New Year's Eve '12 thanks to vaping. Currently using the Nemesis mech mod with Tobh RDA and LOVE IT! Vaping a juice my sister makes: Coconut Margarita (much better than it sounds) at 3mg nic with 0.4 ohms of resistance.

Still got my Vamo V5 with Aerotank for backup though. Only thing I'll put through that is the juice that finally got me to quit: Mountain Oak Vapor's Nirvana. Good sh!t right there! Vaped it for 1 1/2 years everyday, although I'm still at 18mg.

I was getting about 3-4 days out of my 18650 batteries in my Vamo, but with my mech, I'm going through about 3 batteries a day. :( Still worth it IMO...

Nice thread!

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Coconut Margarita sounds good. I'm planning to try my hand at DIY juice pretty soon so I'll have to keep that one in mind. Would she possibly be willing to share her recipe?

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Yesterday I picked up a UD IGO W6, which is another RDA, and absolutely love it so far although it is a pain to build on.
I saw a quad coil 28ga Kanthal, 5/64" diameter, 8 wraps deal with the IGO-W6 on Youtube.
Was just curious what your set-up is with the IGO-W6 as far as coils go cstone.
Trying to learn about RDAs before I take the plunge.
If I knew back then what I know now, I could have saved some money by buying the good/better stuff instead of working my way up the ladder as far as vaping hardware so far.

Is your Nemesis for real or a clone cstone?
Been looking at them online.
No voltage adjustment (or VW) will be weird at first I'm sure.

Any and all information greatly appreciated. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Sorry for the novel, I think you probably already know some of this (maybe all?), but I don't like posting incomplete information on something that could be dangerous without all of the information.

I'm running dual vertical 30ga Kanthal coils at 1.2 ohms. I wrapped them 10 wraps around the mini screwdriver that came with the kit which is just bigger than 1/16" so I would guess 5/64" is pretty damn close. For wicks I strictly use cotton. I have the airflow control set to 4 holes that are 1/16". I'll snap you some pics of my setup in a few hours when I re-wick if you want. I love the vape I'm getting off the IGO, it has just the right amount of heat for me and the vapor production is nice. I definitely recommend this Atty, but not for a first RDA. It is quite difficult to build due to the 4 negative posts surrounding the center positive post. The positive post has a hole near the top which you can use a screw to clamp the positive lead and there is also a hole closer the the bottom which uses a nut to clamp the positive lead. This nut is tough to tighten because you can't really grab onto it. I had to use tweezers to tighten it. Something like the Helios that is dual horizontal coil native with adjustable airflow would be much better to get started with.

My Nemesis is a clone by EHPro. It is one of the few that does not have the logo on it. I prefer it this way since it isn't the real deal. Mine came from Madvapes because I happened to be ordering juice from them and they had a sale. The Nemesis clone made by HCigar is considered to be the best one available and actually has been shown to outperform the authentic one. The only problem I had with mine is that the button was "crunchy" when I got it. Less than 2 minutes with a polishing wheel on the dremel and some polishing compound took care of the slightly rough machining around the button internals with almost no effort. Personally I would avoid anything with uncoated brass because it can often contain lead, this is especially important for atomizers because along with the heat, lead will easily absorb into your liquid. Copper is excellent for conductivity (minimal voltage drop), but it patinas quickly so it isn't for everyone. Also it can turn your hands green from the patina if it isn't sealed with wax or clear coat. I chose stainless steel despite the lower conductivity because it is harder to scratch and I carry my mod in my pocket every day. Along with the Nemesis, I would recommend a Kayfun Nemesis Hybrid Adapter (from eBay). It replaces the Nemesis top cap and converts any 22mm atomizer to a hybrid on the Nemesis which means better conductivity and a shorter overall setup. I don't have the hybrid adapter yet, that will be my next purchase.

Going away from VV (I never had a VW device) was a little weird to me and I was apprehensive for a while, but once you understand that you can adjust the wattage of your vape based on the resistance of your coil(s) it makes a lot more sense. Definitely study "ohms law" if you aren't already familiar and it will help you understand.

Ohms law brings me into my next tip. Battery selection is much more crucial with a mech mod than it is with any regulated (VV/VW) device because there is no protection built into the device to prevent the battery from exploding. I know exploding batteries is a terrifying thought, but it is no reason to be afraid of mech mods as long as you take a few precautions:

1. Know your batteries! If you don't know the "c rating" of your battery, you should not ever put it inside of a mech. The "c-rating" is the continuous amp output that the batter is rated to safely handle. IMR chemistry batteries are the ONLY ones that should ever go into a mech because in the event that you do have a battery failure, they do so in the safest manner. Sony VCT5's are widely considered to be the best due to the high mAh rating as well as the high c-rating (30 amps), but they are currently impossible to find due to the Sony plant being shut down. If you find some for sale, they are almost definitely fakes. The purple Efest batteries are a close runner up with only a slightly lower mAh rating and c-rating. These are readily available and they are what i would recommend you look for. The red Efest batteries aren't worth it for the tiny cost savings as they have an even lower mAh rating and SIGNIFICANTLY lower c-rating which makes them unsafe at anything lower than ~1ohm.

2. Know your resistance! Always check the resistance of your build prior to firing it on your mod as a very low ohm build could potentially destroy your battery in a second or less. Even if you know your coils should produce a safe load, there could be a short you don't see. Don't toch the coils with metal while firing for the same reason. Visually inspect your coils periodically throughout the day to check for any shorts.

3. Know your battery life. For the first could days on a new build you should check your battery charge pretty frequently. Since there is no protection circuit your battery voltage is capable of dropping too low which results in the battery not being able to take a charge. Not much of a safety risk, but ruining a good battery is no fun.

4. Never carry batteries lose in your pocket! Put them in your mod or in a case. Things such as change or keys can create an electrical path which results a hot pocket and could cause an explosion next to a part of you that you don't want an explosion near...

5. Going back to ohms law, there are apps available for both Android and iOS which help to calculate resistance based on the wire gauge and coil diameter. The best feature of the apps is the wattage/amp which helps you stay safe. I use Vaper's Toolbox on Android.

6. If your mod ever gets hot anywhere other than the atomizer you need to either quickly get the battery out or quickly get the mod to a place where it won't do damage if it blows up. By quickly, I mean no more than 5-10 seconds.

7. Always lock the lock ring when the mod is not in your hand otherwise it may accidentally fire.

·
Registered
148 Posts
November 10 will mark 5 years for me. I smoked for over 40 years, and the e-cig was a miracle for me. I started with KR808D cig-alikes, and before the first year was up I'd switched to mods. I've been using REO bottom-feeders for about 4 years now, progressing from 510 and 306 atomizers and cartos, to rebuildables for the past couple of years. I started with 24mg liquid and now mix my own in the 4-6mg range, mostly unflavored these days. My builds are simple - single coil, around 1 ohm, wrap a new coil every month or so. I use organic cotton for wick (I've tried ceramic and a bunch of other stuff, but too fussy for me), and throw a new wick in every day or two.

Here's a pic of my old war-horse REO Grand - been using it every day since November of 2010. It's tough as nails:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Check out fasttech

They make a bunch of clones. I have the magma and just ordered the trident.

I ditched all my tanks and have converted over to RDA. The ability to custom tune the resistance along with being able to choose different wicking media is a tuners dream.
The big drawback in the constant dripping. However, the taste more than makes up for the inconvenience.

You can also check out Rip Trippers on youtube. He reviews a lot of different vaping products along with different builds.

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You can also check out Rip Trippers on youtube. He reviews a lot of different vaping products along with different builds.
Watched a sh!t ton of his videos already.
That guy has been there done that in the vaping world.
You want to build coils, he has a video covering it more than likely.

·
Registered
3,889 Posts
Check out fasttech

They make a bunch of clones. I have the magma and just ordered the trident.

I ditched all my tanks and have converted over to RDA. The ability to custom tune the resistance along with being able to choose different wicking media is a tuners dream.
The big drawback in the constant dripping. However, the taste more than makes up for the inconvenience.

Personally I can't recommend FastTech. I ordered a copper Nemesis clone, kayfun 3.1, switch magnets for the Nemesis, and a pair of VCT5s from them on 7/11 and was quoted 14-21 day shipping. On 8/4 it finally cleared customs (still in the Philippines). As of today it has not left the Philippines almost 2 months later. This happened due to them choosing a shipper (PhilPost) who, from what I read, basically stacks packages in their warehouse so that the newest packages are on top of the stack and then pulls packages from the top of the stack first to ship them. To add salt to the wound, FastTech customer service repeatedly attempted to talk me out of utilizing the Paypal claim process for a refund after they refused to voluntarily refund me for the package, tried to blame me for the delay saying that I must have provided a false address and that's why it hadn't left their country, and repeatedly lied to me about beginning an investigation with the shipper.

Here are the PhilPost and USPS links to track my order:
http://tnt.phlpost.gov.ph/index.asp?i=RP104667821PH
https://tools.usps.com/go/TrackConfirmAction.action?tRef=fullpage&tLc=1&text28777=&tLabels=RP104667821PH

One thing to be aware of when watching vaping videos is that the clouds they blow are almost always using unflavored straight VG with 0 nic which produces the most possible vapor and has almost no throat hit even at very low ohms so they can take much longer pulls. Your clouds will probably not be anywhere near what theirs look like.

Margarita coconut:

1-1.5ml coconut and margarita per 30ml base juice.

Simple enough.
Nice I will add that to my list of recipes I want to try. If I come up with anything good once I get started I'll definitely share the recipe here. Thank you and please tell her thank you for me as well!

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
Todd likes to suck on long tubular objects. :thefinger:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts