Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

Does anyone recognize this idler arm on a 2003 Frontier and who made it (has play in it so needs replacing) but I don't think a standard idler arm will attach to the cross steering rod

Otherwise I think will have to replace the idler pitman and the Transverse link

Any suggestions

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
It could be one of the lower stage kits SLR offered, I think they had an "Econo" kit, but i don't know for sure if that's it. Its definitely not Calmini or the kit 4x4parts.com now sells (which used to be Total Chaos.) Could possibly be a lower stage L&P Performance or it could be totally custom, also. It's just hard to find anything to compare it to because L&P and SLR's websites are long gone. Is the Pitman arm double sheer also? can you take some pictures of that?

To put it bluntly, the factory steering design on the D22 is terrible. You have what looks to be a good quality aftermarket replacement, I would NOT tear that out and go back to the OE design. Stock Idler arm bushings wear out fast and the centerlinks don't last long.

Those bushings are Bronze; The factory and OE replacements are plastic. That Idler arm you have looks like it COULD be a modified stock one. Bandit4x4.com sells replacement bronze bushings for the OE style arms and for the SLR and L&P aftermarket ones. I would start by taking it apart and verifying it is in fact the idler arm bushings causing slop. If so, contact Bandit 4x4 and see if they can help you determine which ones you need.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pittman arm

Thanks here is the Pittman that looks stronger as well and the circle is the play area in the idler arm i assume this is the bushing you can replace and i would like to keep it if possible it looks stronger

Attachments

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
Yeah, do you see those goldish colored rings in your circled area? Those are the bushings. Chances are that is where you have slop. Even Though they are bronze, they can still be worn out if they have a lot of miles on them. There is however some small chance that the shaft they ride on is also worn. I recommend you take it apart and get a look. If it is the bushings you should be able to get the OD of them and measure the shaft diameter and contact bandit4x4 to see which ones you need.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Yeah, do you see those goldish colored rings in your circled area? Those are the bushings. Chances are that is where you have slop. Even Though they are bronze, they can still be worn out if they have a lot of miles on them. There is however some small chance that the shaft they ride on is also worn. I recommend you take it apart and get a look. If it is the bushings you should be able to get the OD of them and measure the shaft diameter and contact bandit4x4 to see which ones you need.
Especially the lower one, you can see where the grease has leaked out of the lower bushing.

·
Registered
674 Posts
That's a pretty beefy looking setup, never seen anything like it before so I can't help you with replacement parts

But the weld to the right of the circled part of the picture is cracked, that looks more critical than a bushing replacement

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
That's a pretty beefy looking setup, never seen anything like it before so I can't help you with replacement parts

But the weld to the right of the circled part of the picture is cracked, that looks more critical than a bushing replacement

I didn't notice that before. But it doesn't even look like part of the steering.

·
Registered
674 Posts
I didn't notice that before. But it doesn't even look like part of the steering.
Is that not an idler arm to frame brace?

Looks like it supports the lower part of the idler arm to prevent excessive movement by making it solid to the frame

The bushing probably wore because that type of setup needs a frame brace but yours is cracked?

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
No, it looks to me like the idler arm brace attaches to the frame by one bolt. You can see it in one of the pics in the OP. Look for the stack of washers. From the pictures we have now, it doesn't look like the broken weld is related to the idler arm brace.

·
Registered
674 Posts
No, it looks to me like the idler arm brace attaches to the frame by one bolt. You can see it in one of the pics in the OP. Look for the stack of washers. From the pictures we have now, it doesn't look like the broken weld is related to the idler arm brace.
You can't see the stack of washers because the view is from behind, that weld is coming from the brace and going to a (aftermarket) plate that is probably welded to the frame

The stack of washers is directly behind the weld in the view that we have

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
You can't see the stack of washers because the view is from behind, that weld is coming from the brace and going to a (aftermarket) plate that is probably welded to the frame

The stack of washers is directly behind the weld in the view that we have

The original post has two pictures. One that shows the broken weld. And another that shows the brace and idler arm from the back side. I believe the back side view (where the broken weld is not shown) contains the only mounting bolt for the idler arm brace, which has a stack of washers on it.

Whatever plate that is that has the broken weld I don't believe is relate to the idler arm brace. Go look at his first two pictures, specifically the one that shows the idler arm and brace as if you were sitting in at the center of the truck looking at it.

I could be wrong. But that's the way I see it. Maybe we can get some more pictures.

·
Registered
674 Posts
The original post has two pictures. One that shows the broken weld. And another that shows the brace and idler arm from the back side. I believe the back side view (where the broken weld is not shown) contains the only mounting bolt for the idler arm brace, which has a stack of washers on it.

Whatever plate that is that has the broken weld I don't believe is relate to the idler arm brace. Go look at his first two pictures, specifically the one that shows the idler arm and brace as if you were sitting in at the center of the truck looking at it.

I could be wrong. But that's the way I see it. Maybe we can get some more pictures.
The picture sitting in the center of the truck where youre looking out to see the stack of washers.

The weld is directly behind that, the stack of washers is blocking it lol, but you can kind of see the aftermarket plate

Look at the other picture to reference that, the picture where you can only see the weld. The stack of washers is directly behind that plate. The weld is attached directly to the idler arm also.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
The weld isn't attached to to idler arm. It MIGHT be attached to that piece of pipe on the frame side of the brace but I can't tell for sure. Need more pictures

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
broken weld

Th broken weld is actually a shadow i think from a bad angle picture here is a better view The bottom brace bolts into where i think the Skid plate should be (welded captive nut in the frame )

I took the idler arm apart and the bushes are shot unfortunately so is the shaft so thinking that as it appears to be a modified standard one i can get a strengthened idler from some place else What do you think

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry one last think the brace is not welded to any part of the car but just bolted through a stack of washers (dont really like that )
as i say i think the cracked weld that you see is shadow from the plate that holds the body work on

Thanks for your help on this all

1 - 16 of 16 Posts