Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'll be in canyonlands in a couple weeks for a family trip, and was thinking the white rim trail looks like a fun day or two. Having never done it, I don't know if my (wife's) truck is up for the task. It's an '07 nismo CC 4x4. Stock with the exception of a small lift up front (just a hair higher than the rear) and new dynapro atm tires. No rock sliders, stock underbody protection. For those with experience on the white rim trail...will I make it? I'll have 2 young kids with me so I'd like to make sure I won't be getting in over my head. Thanks!

·
Registered
6,578 Posts
Doubt you will have any issue. It is just long.
The White Rim Trail | Expedition Portal
It is listed as a "ROAD". Just bring some basic recovery gear. And extra camping supplies (water/food).
I think that is road is popular enough that if you do run into trouble there will be plenty of people to help you out

One question however is how young are you kids and do they like to 4 wheel. I just came back from a 4 wheeling trip with my two sons ages 2 and 6. THey love it, but didn;t always. At age 1 they use to cry if the roads go too bumpy. I never take them on hard trails.

·
Registered
2011 Nissan Frontier MT sv
763 Posts
Lathrop canyon is a great day trip- a lot of scenery and low impact roads for the truck. :smile:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't purposefully take 4-wheeling trails but there have been a few times I've found myself on one while doing some exploring. My girls are 4 and 6, and my 6 year old was very nervous and scared both times. Wednesday night my wife and I decided to just do it, so we applied for a permit to stay a night at murphy hogback. There's currently an impass near mineral bottom so we may not get to do the whole thing.

I'll look into lathrop canyon as well. I'm most excited about getting to ride slickrock. Can't wait!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Made it to Lathrop, and out to the campsite at Murphy Hogback. Almost didn't go due to a flash flood watch, but decided to give it a shot after talking to a ranger. Big storm that night, and seeing a truck that tumbled off the side of the descent caused me to use a bit of extra caution, and we went back the way we came. They had just finished repairing an impassable section near the upheaval dome due to flooding, which added to my doubts about continuing in that direction. Awesome trip though. I was really loving the hill descent function after seeing the truck that tumbled off. Here's a photo from the campsite:

Also, likely due to the weather, there was nobody else at murphy hogback. It seemed like we had the whole desert to ourselves. Found some mountain lion tracks in the morning.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts