Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I bought a Nissan Frontier 2004, 3.3 V6 non supercharged. I’ve noticed that there’s a fair amount of white fumes coming from the exhaust and a pretty strong smell of gas.

The other day I started it up and it was running really rough, not like it was misfiring but just skipping a beat. No check engine lights or anything on the dash. I drove it for a bit, turned it off, left it for 30mins and when I started it back up it was fine, still runs smooth now. I replaced the air filter, replaced the spark plugs, poured some fuel injector cleaner in the gas tank but it’s still emitting white fumes with a strong smell of gas.

My coolant level was down by the min mark so topped that up. My first thought was HG, but there’s no bubbles in the coolant/radiator, I did a block test and no exhaust fumes are escaping into the cooling system (fluid remained blue). There’s no white milky residue in the oil cap, no signs of it being the HG other than the white exhaust fumes.

i do live on a cold climate so would expect there to be white exhaust fumes on start up until the engine warmed up but even after it’s up to temp the fumes remain. The truck doesn’t overheat or anything either. I’m stumped at what it could be, open to suggestions. Please help!

·
Registered
407 Posts
A strong smell of gasoline means you either got a leak somewhere around the gas tank - vapor escaping, OR your Oxygen sensor(s) / Engine Coolant temperature sensor has gone bad. If you have a OBD II scanner that can read live data. connect it to the OBD II port & check the readings on your Oxygen Sensors along with your Short Term & Long Term Fuel Ratio values. Download a free copy of the Nissan Factory Service Manual from this website & check to make sure everything is reporting within tolerance. IF not, replace the faulty sensor. Also make sure to check all your vacuum lines to make sure there are no leaking lines.

See attached link for the Factory Service Manual.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts