Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've noticed an increasing amount of white dust being blown out of my vents lately. I drive an '09 Frontier with only 3k miles on it, and ever since I've owned it I've noticed my interior slowly accumulating more and more white dust. I thought that maybe it was just the air system clearing itself being new, but now I am starting to wonder. I especially notice it blowing out after the car has say awhile and I crank the AC when starting the truck. Does anyone have a guess as to what this could be? I've read about this occuring in other vehicles (Lexus) and haven't been encouraged by the outcome. Any help/opinions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
Did you get the truck at a police auction? J/K

Check n' see if there's a cabin filter element installed... it's right behind the glove box.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
anthrax......call homeland security......

kidding man, but im stumped

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
I've read about this occuring in other vehicles (Lexus) and haven't been encouraged by the outcome. Any help/opinions/ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Can you post a picture?
If it is the same I wouldn't worry about. Just take it in to the dealer. What outcome are you talking about?

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Did you get the truck at a police auction? J/K

Check n' see if there's a cabin filter element installed... it's right behind the glove box.
You do not have the microfilter installed else the white powder would not get blown in.

Install a filter but be careful; the retaining structure for the filter is el cheapo plastic and can break easily.

·
Premium Member
1,939 Posts
its brand new almost i wouldnt put the filter in yourself its all about the waranty just take it to the dealer

·
Registered
246 Posts
Mine did this today... I'm wondering if my filter needs to be changed. I'll take a look at the filter later tonight.

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Mine does it too if I turn the A/C on full blast right on start up. I find it hard to imagine that the micro filter isn't there from the factory but stranger things have happened. I just chalked it up to dust accumulating in the vents beyond the filter... That and I smoke so ash blows all over hell anyways.

Does not the micro filter just filter the air being drawn in from the outside, so any dust and airborne crapolla that might accumulate down in the vents past said filter would not be caught?

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
Does it look like shredded paper or does look like dandruff?

If looks like dandruff take it to the dealer and have them check the evaporator.

Are all of you guys 09 owners?

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
Dandruff for me... The OP and myself are '09's but I don't know what Wamba's got...

·
Premium Member
9,798 Posts
No not mold. It's sound like the same problem we are having on a few new Lexus. They added a coating to the evaporator to reduce odor coming from the AC system. The coating is flaking off the evaporator and coming out the air ducks. The way Lexus has worded the TSB some dust is normal.

·
Registered
370 Posts
not really sure why you havent taken it to the dealership. 3k on rig? im pretty sure its still under warranty. if it looks like heavy smoke with chunks in it, it is probably frozen condensation from inside the ac lines. there is really nothing that can be done. but still take it to the dealership

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
No not mold. It's sound like the same problem we are having on a few new Lexus. They added a coating to the evaporator to reduce odor coming from the AC system. The coating is flaking off the evaporator and coming out the air ducks. The way Lexus has worded the TSB some dust is normal.
That sounds plausible. It's not that big a deal to me anyways. I checked last night and there's definitely a micro filter there (it looks like there's two actually.) Some dust isn't that big of an issue. A quick wipe and away it goes.

·
Registered
322 Posts
My AC has smelled like feet since I bought the truck. It has to do with mold growing on the evaporator. I get the same white stuff and just figured it was dried mold/funk. I asked the dealership to fix the feet smell and they told me they would charge me so I didn't do it.

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
My AC has smelled like feet since I bought the truck. It has to do with mold growing on the evaporator. I get the same white stuff and just figured it was dried mold/funk. I asked the dealership to fix the feet smell and they told me they would charge me so I didn't do it.
now go back and tell them to fix the white flaky sh!t....lol

1 - 20 of 39 Posts