Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys,
So I've been hearing this whining noise coming from my truck and I usually hear it when I'm coasting or slowing down... It's hard to pinpoint exactly where its coming from, but I recorded it using my iPhone to see if anyone here knows what I'm talking about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PAk9T-6JxGM

I've searched about this issue, but I don't know if this is the same whine as people are hearing from the rear end of the truck, or maybe the belts?
Truck:
2006 Nissan Frontier NISMO CC

·
Super Moderator
12,392 Posts
I couldn't hear anything other than the ambient sounds while driving.

Clint

·
Premium Member
12,628 Posts
to me that sounded more like a grind than a whine. but who knows, you can only tell so much from a video you really cant make much out it.

but searching would bring you to find the timing chain problem. not sure about the rear ends??? most of those that break dont show any whining before detonation. they just kinda grenade themselves.
next time your driving at around 50mph on a nice flat no holes road. throw it in neutral. if you hear it then your closer to finding your problem.
or put it in park and rev up your truck to match the rpms you would be driving at. and that brings you even closer.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
next time your driving at around 50mph on a nice flat no holes road. throw it in neutral. if you hear it then your closer to finding your problem.
or put it in park and rev up your truck to match the rpms you would be driving at. and that brings you even closer.
i went out til i heard the whining sound (20 mphish) and threw it into neutral, still made the noise, rpms were near idle :/

·
Premium Member
12,628 Posts
i went out til i heard the whining sound (20 mphish) and threw it into neutral, still made the noise, rpms were near idle :/
now put it in park and rev it up and see if you hear the noise. throw open the hood too. have someone either listen or push on the pedal.

like i said from what i heard sounded like a grind rather than a whine. so something could just be caught somewhere. like a dead cat.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
are you talking about the sound at 26~ 28 seconds?

No clue what it is, but that's the only place I heard a noise out of place.

It isn't the timing chain. It almost sounds like a dragging rotor in a few places in the video.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
well i revwed the engine, didnt hear anything.... drove it around and started to hear it again, so i threw it into neutral and it kept going...

So I found a nice straight road, brought it up to speed, kept it in drive and shut the engine off....noise persisted

Tried it again, but this time in neutral and the engine off, the noise persisted still

WTF??

my friend jumped out of the car while it was making the noise and it appears to be coming from the front of the truck.

·
Super Moderator
12,392 Posts
Four wheel drive? Possibly a hub issue?

Clint

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Go to the axle section and check my thread about the carrier bearing. The carrier bearing on my driveshaft went bad and was doing exactly what you were talking about. The noise was speed related and was definitely in the driveline and not the engine.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
i second the carrier bearing, that sounds like a good place to look for the problem

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.