Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like your opinion on which tonneau to get. I would like to get a tonneau that:

1. Won't require me to remove the bed rail cap.
2. Allow me to use my sliding bed extender.
3. Have somekind of locking device.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
There have been many discussions on this forum covering this very topic, and there are as many different tonneaus installed as there are types available!

I suggest doing a search for tonneau and see what pops up! Chances are, you'll find all the information you ever wanted to know and then some!

Being as you didn't indicate whether or not it had to be a hard or soft tonneau, I have the Trifecta by extang and am very happy with it. It's light weight, easy to install, fully removable by one person, mounts on top of the bed caps, allows full use of the track system, and locks by virtue of the locking tailgate! :wink:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
05_NISMO_4X4 said:
There have been many discussions on this forum covering this very topic, and there are as many different tonneaus installed as there are types available!

I suggest doing a search for tonneau and see what pops up! Chances are, you'll find all the information you ever wanted to know and then some!

Being as you didn't indicate whether or not it had to be a hard or soft tonneau, I have the Trifecta by extang and am very happy with it. It's light weight, easy to install, fully removable by one person, mounts on top of the bed caps, allows full use of the track system, and locks by virtue of the locking tailgate! :wink:
I want soft tonneau. So far I have 2 tonneau to look at:
1. Trifecta by extang
2. Truxedo Truxport

Anyone had Truxedo Truxport installed on your truck?

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
Sacto2004 said:
Hi,

I would like your opinion on which tonneau to get. I would like to get a tonneau that:

1. Won't require me to remove the bed rail cap.
2. Allow me to use my sliding bed extender.
3. Have somekind of locking device.

Thanks in advance.
i sold many different covers at the truck accessory store i used to work at. my personal favorites are the Lorado (by the makers of the access cover) and the low pro truxedo. the lorado is also a low profile cover. we sold them for the exact same price, 380 with free install. the one i have is the lorado, and it is my personal favorite. i think it looks better, i like the way it opens better, and the warrenty is better. check out both of the company's web sites to see how they open. we had a few warrenty issues with the truxedo when i sold them. the velco that was attached to the cover was letting loose. we sent 3 of them in to get worked on, 2 came back with a bill for s&h and fixing it because they said the customer was abusing it (which was BS because i knew one of the guys that had trouble and he said it was just letting loose). the other one they fixed free of charge, but still had to pay S&H. i can only think of one time we had to repair a lorado. same problem, velco coming loose. we sent it in and get a NEW one back. no charge, no shipping, no nothing. so those are just a few reasons i prefer the Lorado. you can check out how mine looks on my web page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2346479 . this is Lorado's site http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C11/ .

·
Registered
9 Posts
I just installed a Truxedo LP cover that I purchased at Autoanything. It clamps to the inside edge of the bed. You can not open it with out opening the tailgate. Looks great and is an easy install.
I don't have the bed extender, so I am not sure about that for you.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I'm pretty set on getting the Lorado after seeing the pics. I did get a quote from the stealership though and was very impressed. For the Nissan soft tonneau they quoted me $300 whereas the Lorado is $380. I think the Lorado would be a better cover, but does anyone have experience w/ the Nissan one?

·
Registered
226 Posts
bwarren228 said:
I'm pretty set on getting the Lorado after seeing the pics. I did get a quote from the stealership though and was very impressed. For the Nissan soft tonneau they quoted me $300 whereas the Lorado is $380. I think the Lorado would be a better cover, but does anyone have experience w/ the Nissan one?
I've got the Nissan tonneau on my 06'. I'm pretty happy with it. The rails clamp on over the bed caps. The cover zippers on and has 4 snaps at each corner. I lke being able to unsnap any corner and sliding the zipper back for bed access since I have the bed divider and like toput stuff up by the cab.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
twr said:
bwarren228 said:
I've got the Nissan tonneau on my 06'. I'm pretty happy with it. The rails clamp on over the bed caps. The cover zippers on and has 4 snaps at each corner. I lke being able to unsnap any corner and sliding the zipper back for bed access since I have the bed divider and like toput stuff up by the cab.

can you adjust the tension of the nissan cover??

·
Registered
3,964 Posts
livin_loud said:
... can you adjust the tension of the nissan cover??
Not by much. After zipping it, you can tug on the tonneau's edges to pull it taut and then press down the velcro. It stays fairly tight, but it's not like a drum skin. It is fully compatible with the bed extender in that the bed extender can slide the entire length of the bed and not hit any tonneau hardware. You do have to remove a rib to flop the extender, but the ribs are held in place with easy out pins that are a cinch to use. Plus, it's easy to roll up when you need to use the bed.

From what I read months back, I don't think other covers are fully compatible with the bed extender without narrowing the extender and/or buying an extra kit and/or stacking washers on the bed extender knobs. I may well be wrong; there's a lot of conflicting information posted out there. I didn't want to risk dissapointment, so bought the Nissan soft cover.

·
Registered
189 Posts
livin_loud said:
i sold many different covers at the truck accessory store i used to work at. my personal favorites are the Lorado (by the makers of the access cover) and the low pro truxedo. the lorado is also a low profile cover. we sold them for the exact same price, 380 with free install. the one i have is the lorado, and it is my personal favorite. i think it looks better, i like the way it opens better, and the warrenty is better. check out both of the company's web sites to see how they open. we had a few warrenty issues with the truxedo when i sold them. the velco that was attached to the cover was letting loose. we sent 3 of them in to get worked on, 2 came back with a bill for s&h and fixing it because they said the customer was abusing it (which was BS because i knew one of the guys that had trouble and he said it was just letting loose). the other one they fixed free of charge, but still had to pay S&H. i can only think of one time we had to repair a lorado. same problem, velco coming loose. we sent it in and get a NEW one back. no charge, no shipping, no nothing. so those are just a few reasons i prefer the Lorado. you can check out how mine looks on my web page http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2346479 . this is Lorado's site http://www.agricover.com/index.php/products/category/C11/ .
I think you sold me on the Lorado. I found this site with a review and pics:

http://www.4x4review.com/news/agricover-lorado.asp

Here is the pic of it on a truck just like mine:

Looks like the best price is $357 shipped from:

http://www.truckcustomizers.com/products/-BM-RM-VM/K5AGI00.1.html?cart

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
that is an excellent price. when i was in the accessory business we sold them for 380 installed. well, the install is a walk in the park, so it was pretty much a "free" install. the suggested retail in our books was like 480. it was crazy. so that is a great price. i wouldnt pass it up if that is the cover you are intending on getting.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
one more thing i forgot to mention..... if you do any driving on dirt or gravel roads, you may want to purchase a product called "trail seal". it is made by agri-cover, the same company that makes the access and lorado. it is pretty much a big roll of weather striping with double sided tape on it. you put it around your tail gate to seal up the gaps. if you have had a cover on a truck before im sure you know why. if not, it is because it will suck dust in BAD. your whole bed will be a sand dune!!! and if you live where it snows, it will suck powder snow in as well. i had it happen to my while driving down the interstate with my ranger. there was a freakkkkin snow drift in my bed!!!! but, if you dont plan on driving in any of those conditions, i wouldnt even bother. we sold it for 25 bucks.....im sure you can find something similar on the net for cheaper.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I ordered and installed the Truxedo Truxsport. It took about 30 mins and it's great. AND It doesn't interfere with the bed extender.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Another vote for the Access Roll Up Lorado. I have the sliding bed extender. Inorder for the tono cover and the bed extender to work together, I had to have a device that moves the bed extender over a bit on both sides. The tubes of the bed extender teloscopically colapse. This way the extender cleared the metal lip of the tono cover's track rail.

2006nismo

·
Registered
2 Posts
Tonneau Cover

I, too went with the Extang RT cover. It still allows me to use the Utilitrack system and locks with the tailgate. It is, by far the best one I found for the Frontier, and much cheaper than one of the hard covers.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts