Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have titan 18"s and I need new tires. I don't off-road, I consider my truck a sport truck, but I do like the look of meaty tires...

I was going to get terra grappler's but the size I want is on backorder... ;(
I'm either going to run 265/70/18 (I'm running that now but I rub and dont want to cut plastic) 275/65/18 (.5 inch smaller diam, .5 inch bigger width) or 285/60/18 (1 inch smaller diam, 1 inch bigger width)

So I'm looking at Falken Ziex TZ04's and/or Kumho Ecsta STX KL12 and/or Kumho KL78

http://www.falkentire.com/Tires/Light-Truck-SUV/Ziex-S-TZ04-6
Kumho Ecsta STX KL12
Kumho Road Venture AT KL78

Which would you guys choose and why?
Looks are very important to me along with traction in the rain...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
I've always enjoyed the look of a lo pro BFG AT, and its a heck of tire, but then again, I'm biased :)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've always enjoyed the look of a lo pro BFG AT, and its a heck of tire, but then again, I'm biased :)
Lol you in no way helped answer my question. Those are way too much money compared to my choices...

·
Registered
2,502 Posts
Terribly sorry for that then, understandable. The kuhmos and the ecstas look sportier, and I would think that a lower profile would look better as opposed to the monsters you have now. Go with one of those in the 285's.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I have always been fond of Falken and had good luck with them so that is what I would go with but I've never used Kumho.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I say go with the lower profile tire too. It makes it look like more of a sport truck. I have 265/60R18 Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G052 tires on mine. I like the way they look and ride.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
x2 BFG ATs...

but I would say kumho... the name is fun to say... and they make the tires that make colored smoke when you do burn out.. and they got the ones the smell good... so yeah they got that going for them..

·
Premium Member
3,550 Posts

·
Registered
315 Posts
Question: Are Titan alloys plug & play? I thought I read someplace on here they don't just swap without modding something. Also did you have to lift your truck to make them work?

In regards to your question I would go with a lo-profile BFG All Terrain, they are worth every penny. I've got them on my stock '08 and honestly wouldn't run any other tire.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I say go with the lower profile tire too. It makes it look like more of a sport truck. I have 265/60R18 Yokohama Geolandar H/T-S G052 tires on mine. I like the way they look and ride.

no low pro tires on that truck, bleah. keep it somewhat beefy. love the look of that truck with those titan wheels, nice work.

·
Registered
146 Posts
go with the kumo road venture m/t i had them on before this set and i loved them i put a little over 50,000 miles on them

and they where great in the rain

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all the opinions guys and comments (novakane).

I ended up ordering the 285/60/18 Falken's TZ04. I'll have them installed tmrw.

Honestly, I wanted/wish I could slap a pair of Nitto's on the 18's with the same size I have right now, but I also I wanted a wider tire.

When I went wider but kept the same diameter prices got high for me.

The Nitto's were 180+ a tire, plus $30 shipping charge.
The Falken's in 285/60 were 112 a tire no shipping.

I drive the truck to and from campus mainly, so its stupid, economically, to pay $200+ for a small difference in looks.

The Falken's should sweet though. By the reviews, they are a pretty good tire. Their 1 inch wider then what I have on right now and .75 inch smaller in diameter. Got the best of both worlds. In between of a low profile and a beefy tire and a tire which is very wide and made to handle.

Also the Kumho's were about $15 more a tire. My tire guy said that although he think's Kumho's are a better tire, its not worth the price difference.

I'll post up pictures as soon as possible.

Oh ya, I plan on giving the current worn tires a good roast before I change them out. There might be a video in the near future ;)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Alright got the Falken's slapped on. 285/60/18

They look pretty tight imo. I am a bit disappointed that I lost some of the beefy chunky look, and I lost 1/2 inch in ride height, but for the price and performance who can complain...

Review of the tire:
Handling is AMAZING... At least compared the the Wranglers that were on the truck before. They are also very smooth. Steering feels lighter and easier to redirect the truck (maybe due to lighter tire/wider?). The tires definitely react quicker. My truck feels "fast" again acceleration and braking wise. (Mainly due to the 1" Diameter reduction)

I can't give too good of a review as I haven't driven but 10 miles, but so far I would already recommend them for a sport truck. I feel like I can keep up with sports cars now. And for $112 a tire... Awesome!

Here's LOTS of Pics (wish truck wasn't so dirty...):

Should I make a dedicated thread for the Falken's?

1 - 14 of 14 Posts