Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be replacing my rear diff because I can hear it going also I seen that there is some options that I can pick from. My question is which one has had the better reviews? I have a 2006 SE 4x4 auto. I believe it's the C200k. So far I seen that there is a no slip powertrax diff and a ARB locking differential.

I've read that there was problems with the power trax one but that was awhile ago, I was wondering if anybody had one done recently? The ARB locking diff looks like the one to go with but has anybody had any problems with it?

Also i don't know to much about differentials but would I have to change the front diff as well? Or no?
Thanks!

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Are you talking about having your differential rebuilt and installing a locker?
You can't just install a locker and think it's going to fix it.You need to determine what is causing the noise.
If you use the truck for crawling an ARB locker is what everybody uses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes forgot to mention that, I am going to get the differential rebuilt. I don't think I'll be doing too much crawling but where I live I plow my family's driveways when in snows hard because a grader can't get in there. Also when it rains here in the country our roads turn into a big nightmare of mud.

·
Super Moderator
13,408 Posts
The ARB is a selectable locker, which would give you more control in snow and ice than an auto locker like the Powertrax would. I had an auto locker for a few winters and it was "fine" once I figured out how it worked, but on icy roads it did make the truck a little trickier to handle. For your application, my choice would be a selectable.

Most problems with ARBs seem to be in the form of air leaks from poor installation, but they are generally pretty reliable lockers.

Since you think your diff is bad anyway...is your truck a CC or a KC? If it's a CC, I *think* you have a 3.36 gear ratio...what about a junkyard M226 with an e-locker as another option? (I don't know the specifics that would be involved in such a swap, just suggesting it as something else for you to research.)

·
Registered
741 Posts
The ARB is a selectable locker, which would give you more control in snow and ice than an auto locker like the Powertrax would. I had an auto locker for a few winters and it was "fine" once I figured out how it worked, but on icy roads it did make the truck a little trickier to handle. For your application, my choice would be a selectable.

Most problems with ARBs seem to be in the form of air leaks from poor installation, but they are generally pretty reliable lockers.

Since you think your diff is bad anyway...is your truck a CC or a KC? If it's a CC, I *think* you have a 3.36 gear ratio...what about a junkyard M226 with an e-locker as another option? (I don't know the specifics that would be involved in such a swap, just suggesting it as something else for you to research.)
This would make him the third person I know of looking for a locked m226.

I swear I'm gonna start hitting junkyards across the country with a big flatbed and load up...

·
Registered
58 Posts
m226 axle or unicorn?

Add us to the list of m226 hopefuls. I've been looking for one for awhile now and I think I'd have better luck catching that unicorn. I had a local yard looking for one, they are a big yard in business forever, and they where only able to find 1. Yes, 1, with sky high miles and a price to match. By the time I would have paid for the axle and the shipping it was getting close to the price of a new one. Good luck and happy hunting. Now where did I put that unicorn trap?::grin::

·
Registered
79 Posts
If not needing a locking rear rear for heavy offroad use, a Torsen differential (active torque biasing - will direct more power to the wheel with the most grip seamlessly, better than 'slipping' differentials and uses gears, not clutches/plates that wear out) would probably be the best type to get. Torsen is what many sportscars and military HUMVEE's use.

https://youtu.be/x40WGUtdaLI

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Also i don't know to much about differentials but would I have to change the front diff as well? Or no?
Thanks!
If you put rear in with different ratio than current, you will need to change gear ratio in front.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts