Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm always interested in rear axle issues, and I've done a little research but am far and away not knowledgeable enough in the differences in the C200k and the M226. Which rear axle is a little easier to work on. So far it looks like the C200k is not only cheaper for various parts (i.e. ABS sensors) but it also doesn't require you to cut off the rear wheel bearing when you need to replace an axle seal (unlike the M226). Past this, I was wondering if everything else was roughly the same in terms of cost/time to do work on the rear ends? Wheel bearings both need to be pressed on/off, and any internal diff work seems to be about the same. Do both axles slide right out of the axle tubes once unbolted, or is the M226 a C clips style?

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
what?

some wrong info in here but i dont care, just get or keep the axle that works how you want it.
im sure you will spend a lot more time driving on the axle than working on it.

·
Premium Member
12,051 Posts
before i can you would need to say what you want to do.

some parts are cheaper yes, but others are more expensive and better for a reason.
the race for the bearing needs cut off on the m226 too, or a extra crazy setup to press it off.

the abs sensors are more expensive on the m226 yes, but if you only plan on needing the one set? its likely not going to save you any money over what you gain.

are you going to the grocery store or baja?

·
Registered
5,190 Posts
Do both axles slide right out of the axle tubes once unbolted, or is the M226 a C clips style?
No, it doesn't use a c-clip. You do need a slide hammer to pull the axles.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
before i can you would need to say what you want to do.

some parts are cheaper yes, but others are more expensive and better for a reason.
the race for the bearing needs cut off on the m226 too, or a extra crazy setup to press it off.

the abs sensors are more expensive on the m226 yes, but if you only plan on needing the one set? its likely not going to save you any money over what you gain.

are you going to the grocery store or baja?

Both good points.

I suppose I should clarify. I'm interested in making a cheaper c200k work in a titan swap from a 4cyl frontier with the 4.08 gearing or the open 3.36 c200k. I would possibly pair it with an ARB (not doable for the 4.08 that i've heard of since it needs a massive ring gear spacer to work) or the lokka possibility in the future if that ever takes off. With a junkyard purchase of an M226 I do get a locker, but no gearing out of the box and they seem to be double to triple the price in my region. Junkyards also tend to cut the wires which means new abs wires. For what it would cost to potentially get a used M226 with new abs wires, the 4 spider gears, etc I could potentially have the rear 4.08 c200k and a front re geared m205 for the same price. I'm just playing devils advocate and trying to see how a c200k setup would work in this application. Unusual and potentially not worth it, sure. But I'm always down for trying. And which is why I'm interested in what axle would be worth chasing.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts