Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on purchasing a set of PIAA 510's to install in the factory bumper location.

I am looking for purchasing the Driving Lights and I am looking for something to supplement the existing low beams in terms of increased brightness and hopefully increased distance.

There are 3 kinds in the 510 series, the standard, the SMR and the ATP. Is there one that you would particularly recommend over the others, or one you would avoid?

Initially the SMR's looked good because of the clear lens but I read somewhere that it was more of a spotlight/focused which doesn't sound like it would work as well for what I am looking for.

Thoughts?
Chris

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,482 Posts
not sure of those models, but i do know this: the PIAA wiring harness is really short - so be prepared to extend it several feet. also, they use a weird relay/switch combo that does not work with aftermarket switches all that well, you will need to replace their relay and check the wiring if you want to use another switch.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. That's good to know actually as I was hoping to track down a switch that would fit directly in the open space next to the cargo light switch. Looks like I may have to just modify the cover and get the PIAA switch to fit there which shouldn't look too bad (hopefully).

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,482 Posts
Thanks. That's good to know actually as I was hoping to track down a switch that would fit directly in the open space next to the cargo light switch. Looks like I may have to just modify the cover and get the PIAA switch to fit there which shouldn't look too bad (hopefully).
you can use a simple toggle no problem, but if you want a switch that lights up you will need to do the new relay/wiring. i have a toggle in there, and drilled a whole in the blank switch cover next to the power mirror switch

·
Registered
279 Posts
I did the same when I installed my fog lamps. I used a small drill bit to "cut" the opening in the blank next to the power mirrors. It turned out really factory looking if I do say so myself. And if I remember right, I had to lengthen the wiring harness as well which I then ran through the factory grommet into the cabin.

·
Registered
885 Posts
I have the 510s in SMRs. They are a focused beam pattern.

The standard driving lights have a 30° pattern which means they'll let you see further than the ATP lights (which have a 40° pattern)... but they don't light up the sides as well.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I just put a set of Lightforce 170's on the front of mine adn didnt want to drill a hole for their tiny little toggle switch so I did some research.

OTRATTW
These will fit right in the dash blank, no cutting required. Thev even look factory.

This is the specific switch I ordered.
OTRATTW

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies. Still not sure which ones I will get but I am leaning towards the ATPs.

EricBirk - those switches look great, exactly what I was looking for.

So I have to admit that I haven't done a fog light install before so I have to ask. Looking at the PIAA install instruction manual (http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/install/510.pdf) it calls for running a wire to a switched power.

1) If I wanted to purely control the lights from the PIAA switch I could simply run the switched power wire to the + battery terminal, correct?
2) If I wanted some security from battery drainage in case I forgot to turn the PIAA switch off, I could wire it to the parking lights (which would essentially mean that as soon as I turned off the parking lights then the PIAA's would turn off regardless of whether I left the PIAA switch on). Is that also correct? If yes, where can I tap to the parking lights?

·
Registered
5,343 Posts
Here are a couple pics of some 510's someone else did.

Attachments

·
Registered
252 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies. Still not sure which ones I will get but I am leaning towards the ATPs.

EricBirk - those switches look great, exactly what I was looking for.

So I have to admit that I haven't done a fog light install before so I have to ask. Looking at the PIAA install instruction manual (http://www.piaa.com/Lamps/install/510.pdf) it calls for running a wire to a switched power.

1) If I wanted to purely control the lights from the PIAA switch I could simply run the switched power wire to the + battery terminal, correct?
2) If I wanted some security from battery drainage in case I forgot to turn the PIAA switch off, I could wire it to the parking lights (which would essentially mean that as soon as I turned off the parking lights then the PIAA's would turn off regardless of whether I left the PIAA switch on). Is that also correct? If yes, where can I tap to the parking lights?
Yeah a few other guys here have some pics of them mounted, just search OTRATTW. They look wicked when mounted.

I would wire it up exactly the way that it shows on pg 5 of that pdf. Run the switched power to a wire that only sees power when the truck is on. That way you cant kill anything accidentally, and you will be able to switch it anytime.

My Lightforce 170's said to tie into the high beam switch, I didnt do that either... :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.