Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
Hope this is the right place for this, sorry if not. I just recently did the first oil change on my Frontier at 5k miles (purchased with just under that on it). Everything went fine, but then I noticed some drips below. I think most of them came from stuff stuck up under the skid plate, but a small bit was leaking from the seal of the oil filter. I noticed the Nissan filter I took off had a bit more of a "rounded" o-ring, where the filter I put on was more flat. I tried swapping the filter out, and I'm going to check it again today.

Has anyone run into this? Should I just stick with the OEM filter? The filter I got was the Fram Ultra, I don't think its a "fault" of the filter necessarily, but maybe the seal just isn't perfect for our application?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've never had an issue. Did you wipe the sealing surface clean and then lube the gasket on the new filter with oil? Filter tightened properly by hand?
Yep, Yep, and Yep! I was surprised too as I've never had an issue on any vehicle before. I thought maybe it was just the seal on the filter I first used, but I put another on and I'm pretty sure it was already coming through a bit. Its right at the bottom of the seal, where the oil would come out of the cooler with the filter off. I've never used a filter wrench to tighten a filter, but maybe that would help?

I plan on checking it again when I get home today, that will be about 100 miles since the second filter so I can see if its still happening.

Also from reading old threads here... people weren't kidding those metal edges on the plates will mess you up!

·
Registered
485 Posts
I would go ahead and do what we should never do. Put a filter wrench on it and give it another 1/4 turn or so. I doubt it makes any difference what company has their name on the filter. The only one I have ever had that leaked was a Bosch and they have a good reputation, but I usually use Wix or Honda filters (filters for the new generation of Honda's is exactly the same as Nissan).

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would go ahead and do what we should never do. Put a filter wrench on it and give it another 1/4 turn or so. I doubt it makes any difference what company has their name on the filter. The only one I have ever had that leaked was a Bosch and they have a good reputation, but I usually use Wix or Honda filters (filters for the new generation of Honda's is exactly the same as Nissan).
Yea I only mention the brand to say that the gasket seemed "flatter" than the Nissan one I took off. However this flat seal is what I'm use to seeing. I just wasn't sure if the face of the oil cooler needed this more round style gasket for a proper seal. But if you guys haven't seen an issue I'm not sure.

·
Registered
485 Posts
Nope, never tighten with the tool. I've seen more than one punctured filter that way.

Next time the filter is off, I would take a look at the sealing surface and make sure there is no damage on it.
Good idea, check the filter gasket when it is removed also before installing.

Most of us do not torque oil filters with a torque wrench, but the value is 156 in lbs according to the 2012 Frontier service manual page LU25.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
Cant say that i have ever had one leak. Im only 30 so thats 15 years of oil changes and i have not seen everything. But if there was a small defect in the seal or a piece of grit that was missed on the mating surface it could cause it. I would never use a wrench to tighten. Pull it if your worried and replace, they are only $5 or so.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well, as a quick update... The filter seal looks good! When I took the other one off the seal looked fine, but i made sure to wipe the mounting surface better this time, maybe there was something there. Thats problem 1 down... Thanks for the help guys.

My second problem is that I keep seeing oil down there, to the left of the skid plate. I'm having a hell of a time figuring out if its just residual from changing the filter, like it got in the frame and ran out, or if its coming from somewhere I can't see. I tried to clean everything as best I could with brake cleaner, but it comes back after awhile. Am I just being paranoid?

Link to area - http://i.imgur.com/v9SkrLP.jpg . Its the bit of the frame to the left of the skid plate. Has anyone else noticed oil showing up there shortly after a change?

·
Registered
348 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I know your question was about which filter seals best.... But could your issue be a leaky o-ring behind the oil cooler? I have had mine replaced twice.
I thought that at first from seeing others that had the issue, but mine looks dry/clean there.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts