Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just wondering if anyone knew had trouble with getting warrenty serice because of the aftermarket modifications they had installed.

I am not doing anything out of the regular stuff... Intake, Cat back, maybe an ecu later... not much more.

·
Registered
6,057 Posts
up to how mod friendly the dealer is. some could care less, others won't touch the vehicle claiming warranty is void. I had to go to 3 different dealers before finding a mod friendly one.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
^^^^^^^^^
That cant be entirely true, I'm sure if you use Nismo stuff it doesnt void it.

zoomzoom:
Did you have specific issues with any specifice parts? for example, did they say "no" to the intake or was it the nitrous system you put in? lol

·
Premium Member
1,892 Posts
up to how mod friendly the dealer is. some could care less, others won't touch the vehicle claiming warranty is void. I had to go to 3 different dealers before finding a mod friendly one.
I lucked out and the dealer closest to me is very mod friendly. worst case is they will do the warranty work but charge me about two hours worth of labor charges "due to modifications". :noworries:

check my sig for thier web site

·
Registered
226 Posts
i was told any mod will be subject to voiding the warranty from my dealer. kinda like they can pick and choose. the tech guy said do not do a lift because they won't work on it? changing the shocks might void it depending on "what happens". tire sizes?

after the warranty is up then do whatever you want he said.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Who is mod friendly in South Florida?

Ed:machinegunner:

·
Premium Member
1,097 Posts
I'm pretty sure no mod can void the warranty unless they can prove that the specific mod caused the problem. Example: If your third brake light doesn't work they can't use your new intake as an excuse to say the truck is out of warranty. At least that's what I've always been told.

·
Premium Member
6,081 Posts
All Bs, The Only Thing That Voids The Warranty Is If "the Mod" Caused The Failure. Go Read Magnuson Moss Warranty Act. The Issue Youre Fighting Is The Tech That Gets Paid Much Less To Do Warranty Work Vs Customer Pay. Things Like Adding A Badaz In Dash Dvd/gps Heads Up Display That The Dealer Tech Isnt Gonna Know How Its Put In Or Taken Out Is Useally Gonna Get You To Pay The Cost To Remove Those Items If Say It Has To Come Out To Access Inside Dash. The Factory Isnt Gonna Pay Him The Extra Time So Your Gonna Have To. Or If You Forced Inductioned Your Truck And Blow A Piston, Dont Even Be Stupid Enough To Ask....(although You Could Bribe A Tech To Not "see" The Mods And Cover A Big Bill Like That Under Warranty) The Only Person That Determines If They Will Cover Something Under Warranty Isnt The Factory, Its The Tech Working On Your Truck! the factory doesnt see a blower on an engine that comes back blown for warranty parts return, the dealership tech does. So Get To Know 1 With Small Jobs, Oil Change Etc..send Him A Pizza 1 Day For Lunch, Beer After Work Etc...and The 1 Day if Something Happens And You Need a Returned Favor He May Just Not See A Mod And Help You Out...pr be open to you tipping him well to cover the money he's gonna lose by not pullin the mod voids warranty card(and it really did cause it) on you

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the input. I hope I never have to deal with an issue, tho...

·
Registered
6,057 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I just went through this with my dealer. In general they didn't care about my mods except the one was in their way when they were doing warranty work. They stopped in the middle of the job and told me I'd have to remove my crank pulley and return the vehicle without it if I expected them to complete my timing chain fix.

So they didn't care at all about my headers & cat-back. But, I did sped a few hours and remove CAI, unichip, IMS, TBS, etc, etc so they wouldn't see this hugely modified vehicle.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
haha, I guess it would ^^^

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
If you don't want to argue with the dealership at all, a new exhaust shouldn't void your warranty. A tuner won't void your warranty, as long as you put it back to stock tune before having the truck serviced For a suspension lift, i would probably do a spring/strut/leaf spring lift that closely resembles stock appearance. But don't raise it too high or they'll notice. I've been to 4 different dealers with my truck, and they all complained about my aftermarket cold air intake, so i would either get a NISMO cold air intake or use the stock box and switch out the air filter.

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, I have gotten serivce with my Bassani exhaust on with no issues at all. I have a drop in filter before, again no issues. I just added the Volant intake, so we will see what happens there.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
If you don't want to argue with the dealership at all, a new exhaust shouldn't void your warranty. A tuner won't void your warranty, as long as you put it back to stock tune before having the truck serviced For a suspension lift, i would probably do a spring/strut/leaf spring lift that closely resembles stock appearance. But don't raise it too high or they'll notice. I've been to 4 different dealers with my truck, and they all complained about my aftermarket cold air intake, so i would either get a NISMO cold air intake or use the stock box and switch out the air filter.
My dealership gave me hell about my intake mod. They were actually smiling about the lift and it didnt bother them very much. Never gave me any trouble over it. I actually got compliments on it alot because it looked nice.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Best thing is to talk to the dealer first before doing the mod and if they say no problem, then get it in writing. Magnusson-moss is fine, if you also have patience and legal help. Also be careful with NISMO products because the R-Tune products (such as the cold air intake and headers) have disclaimers that they are for off-highway use only and the warranty book voids any mods that are racing related. So it depends on the dealer, and they will also call Nissan North America as well.

Yeah, I have gotten serivce with my Bassani exhaust on with no issues at all. I have a drop in filter before, again no issues. I just added the Volant intake, so we will see what happens there.

when i got my timing chain and tensioners replaced under warranty, they actually removed and reinstalled my Volant without any problems. they even put back my grounding kit as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts