Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've decided either between the fox 2.0 coilovers or the nisstec. Anyone have any recommendations before I pull the trigger? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
6,666 Posts
Keep in mind Fox 2.0's for our trucks max out at 2" lift up front, 1" lift in the rear.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep in mind Fox 2.0's for our trucks max out at 2" lift up front, 1" lift in the rear.
I do remember seeing that bow that I think about it. That's about what I was looking for. I'll have to look into things again a little and take this into consideration. I wasn't planning on running fox in the back. Was going to run bilstein adjustables in the back.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Friend bought Fox shocks for his Ford diesel. They started leaking. They said they are tuneable and rebuildable. The cost to do it was more than they were worth.
He replaced them with a set of Bilsteins.
I run Fox shocks on my truck and felt bad that I recommended them.
These are the lower end of Fox shocks.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
812 Posts
The coilovers you linked aren't quite comparable to the Fox coilovers. Those Nisstec coils are a Bilstein 5100, with a threaded spring perch. I had them previously and they were fine. If you try to adjust them, though, you will add a ton of preload because there's not a lot of room for adjustment. If you want to go a little higher end, I'd take a look at the Nisstec MK-84s. Those Bils will be perfectly fine, but know they're not truly an adjustable coilover.

Edit: if you do order the Bils, order directly from Nisstec, they're $749.99. You can also find a 5% discount code if you search on here or The NewX.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The coilovers you linked aren't quite comparable to the Fox coilovers. Those Nisstec coils are a Bilstein 5100, with a threaded spring perch. I had them previously and they were fine. If you try to adjust them, though, you will add a ton of preload because there's not a lot of room for adjustment. If you want to go a little higher end, I'd take a look at the Nisstec MK-84s. Those Bils will be perfectly fine, but know they're not truly an adjustable coilover.

I was looking on nisstec website rite now and was actually starting to lean more towards the radflo. Thanks for the opinions. Exactly what I was looking for.

·
Registered
2015 Xterra Pro4X
812 Posts
I was looking on nisstec website rite now and was actually starting to lean more towards the radflo. Thanks for the opinions. Exactly what I was looking for.
See my edit about the discount code, it's easy to find and will save you some $$$.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
If you can handle the price upgrade I'd recommend the Radflos. They work great for the most part, though they can be a bit more maintenance if you live in the salt belt. Can't beat the functionality or the customer service from the crew at Radflo. Glenn and the crew there are top notch. I'm in there a LOT ; )
It's a true adjustable, rebuildable coilover with full customizability (is that a word?) from valving to spring rate.
Available from Nisstec, PRG and direct from Radflo.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you can handle the price upgrade I'd recommend the Radflos. They work great for the most part, though they can be a bit more maintenance if you live in the salt belt. Can't beat the functionality or the customer service from the crew at Radflo. Glenna and the crew there are top notch. I'm in there a LOT ; )
It's a true adjustable, rebuildable coilover with full customizability (is that a word?) from valving to spring rate.
Available from Nisstec, PRG and direct from Radflo.
I saw the radflo come with 600# springs.... on the nissrec website. am I able to ask them to put heavier springs or am I stuck with this till I need a rebuild? Looking for 650# since im having a bumper built

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
13,804 Posts
I am no fan of Radflos, not at all. Either I got a lemon set or they just hate Canada, but those things were in and out many times breaking down. The last time they blew up within a month after a $500 rebuild and I was told tough luck. They are sitting in Fox boxes in my garage now.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am no fan of Radflos, not at all. Either I got a lemon set or they just hate Canada, but those things were in and out many times breaking down. The last time they blew up within a month after a $500 rebuild and I was told tough luck. They are sitting in Fox boxes in my garage now.
How do you like the fox?

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
I saw the radflo come with 600# springs.... on the nissrec website. am I able to ask them to put heavier springs or am I stuck with this till I need a rebuild? Looking for 650# since im having a bumper built
Yes, request the 650# springs if you're going to run a plate bumper, especially if you'll be adding a winch to it. I run 700s on mine.

Figured you'd chime in on this. Still no idea why you've had so much trouble with yours. Maybe it's the cold? I've had at least 4 different sets and never had an issue until I took them to someone other than Radflo to rebuild. There are apparently some fundamental differences between them and some of the other big name brands with regards to the valve stacks. I live in the SW where it's dry and dusty, not much exposure to cold and snow other than the few ski trips I take a year and not much time in the wet.

·
Registered
934 Posts
I read and re-read a lot of peoples build threads here on clubfrontier and thenewx before I spent any serious money on suspension.
I would friendly suggest doing the same or at least call Nisstec or PRG on the phone and talk to them...Nisstec is more than happy to spend time on the telephone with you to answer questions or give you some advice...PRG Greg too if you catch him by the phone.

If I where you I would at least get some extended length coilovers and some upper control arms to have more travel and or Titan swap.

If you are spending close to $1000.00 dollars on regular length coilsovers and no upper control arms you are going to get some coil bucket contact ..your stock upper control arm is going to hit your coilbucket.

Here are options...not partial to Nisstec ...just posting links from there site.

A. a simple spacer lift and add-a-leaf
NissTec 2" Lift Kit ('05+ Frontier) - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits

B. Extended length coilovers , UCA's and add-a-leaf
1) Radflo
3" Radflo Nisstec Extended Travel Kit (05+ Frontier) - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits
2) MK84
*SALE* 3" Nisstec MK84 Extended goneMOAB Edition(05+ Fronti - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits

C. Titan swap
*SALE* 3" Nisstec MK84 Extended goneMOAB Edition(05+ Fronti - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits

D. Titan swap on a budget.
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/...lovers-t-swap-perfect-budget-coilover-205082/

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
If you can handle the price upgrade I'd recommend Kings. But that's just me.
I agree. King, Fox, Bilstein shocks (upper end) , are the best shocks you can buy. But putting high end shocks on a stock suspension with 5" of travel is a waste of money.
I have Bilstein 7100 reservoir shocks on my Dodge (going to Kings soon) but at least it has 11"-12" of travel.

·
Premium Member
5,729 Posts
Yes ,they are probably fine. What shocks dominate off road racing? The three I mentioned.
Putting high end shocks on stock suspensions is like " worthless as tits on a mule".
My Bilsteins are fine, just ugly as heck after 13 years on the truck.
I am going to Kings since I get a decent discount.

·
Premium Member
7,856 Posts
If you can handle the price upgrade I'd recommend Kings. But that's just me.
Agree, but that's a BIG price upgrade. Figure close to twice that of the Bils, Fox's and RFs. Much easier to find someone locally who can service them though.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts