Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where did you guys run your amp wires?

I would like to place them such that they are completely hidden/ buried.

Pics would be great.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
12,703 Posts
Where is the amp being mounted in your truck?

I have a crew cab and my amp is under the driver's seat.
I then routed my 4ga power lead over to and under the door sill plate.
Ran it forward to behind the kick panel and out through the firewall using the big rubber grommet under the steering column.

Ground wire was grounded right under the seat to BARE metal.

Sorry, no pics, it's all hidden.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I am prob going to put the amp under the seat also.

Did you cut into the carpet to run the power for the amp?

·
Registered
364 Posts
Keep the power wire on the same side as the battery.

Don't run the RCA's with the power wire to avoid line/signal noise.

Make ground off amp as short as possible (less than 18" ).

For me - Power wire went down the passenger side. RCA's under the middle console. Amp is grounded on the floor behind the seats.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
Keep the power wire on the same side as the battery.

Don't run the RCA's with the power wire to avoid line/signal noise.

Make ground off amp as short as possible (less than 18" ).

For me - Power wire went down the passenger side. RCA's under the middle console. Amp is grounded on the floor behind the seats.
no need to separate the wires unless your using cheap stuff. any decent RCA cables are going to be shielded so interference will be a non issue. i run everything together and have never had an issue. i have had to fix some others installs because they used cheap stuff but thats the only time i have seen issues.

·
Registered
551 Posts
no need to separate the wires unless your using cheap stuff. any decent RCA cables are going to be shielded so interference will be a non issue. i run everything together and have never had an issue. i have had to fix some others installs because they used cheap stuff but thats the only time i have seen issues.
EXACTLY!!!!!!!

·
Registered
242 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
they look ok to me but i cant find much on them. if they create an issue you can always run them down one side of the center console and the power wire down the other. that really is all the space needed.

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
my amp install is pretty much the same as todd's, it's pretty straight forward. you should be able to do it without issue.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I kept the factory stereo and used a crossover to tap into my factory speakers in the doors and ran them into the amp. I went from the large rubber grommet in the firewall then across the radiator. The amp is under my drivers seat and the sub is directly behind that. I ran the wire from the firewall under the sill trim and then jumped over to the trim that covers the seat slide rails. Instead of using the antennae wire I made a toggle switch so I can manually turn the base on or off. That way, if I'm rollin' through the hood, I can switch it off and not get jacked.

·
Registered
17,538 Posts
i ran my power wire straight back from the battery on the inside of the passenger side front fender, then across (wrapped in plastic conduit) to the drivers side behind the brake booster, there's a large rubber grommet where the wiring harness goes through the firewall, i poked a hole in it with a punch and shoved mine through, then tucked it behind the kick plate and under the carpet. my amp is also under the driver's seat. i ran my RCA's and amp signal wire around the passenger side just to be safe but i think Mylt's probably right. either way's fine, better safe than sorry though right? i grounded to one of the larger bolts underneath the console.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I put my amp under the passenger seat. Took the seat out. took off all the panels and the carpet comes up real easy, you can run the wires under the carpet then.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Mine is coming from the battery to the factory wire loom on the fire wall and runs across to the driver's side through the factory grommet. In the inside, behind the kick panel and under the sill plate all the way to the back. The only part that is seen is from the battery to the wire loom.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
for an under seat amp install, im still a fan of this hole under the seat. it is right where the front/rear carpets overlap. all you have to do is punch through the factory sound insulation. i really want to shake the hand of the nissan engineer who put this here. running your power wire under the vehicle is so much easier than snaking it through the firewall, dash, and sill panel.

the best part is it is on both the driver and passenger side (drivers side pictured)

·
Registered
88 Posts
I had a '97 truck that had that same hole in it, I ran the wires for my amp and CB through there... Mad cool points to the designer there. On my '05 Frontier I actually wired my amp to a cigarette lighter plug and made it modular. I can take my sub and amp out in less tan 5 minutes if I need the storage space. Let me know if you are interested in how to do that.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I'm having a hard time visualizing the wires that run from an amp under the seat to the speakers in the doors (King Cab). Do you run them under the sill plate and then through the wiring hole in the doors or a different method? I thought about just tapping into the existing speaker wires but I can't figure out where to do that either.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I'm having a hard time visualizing the wires that run from an amp under the seat to the speakers in the doors (King Cab). Do you run them under the sill plate and then through the wiring hole in the doors or a different method? I thought about just tapping into the existing speaker wires but I can't figure out where to do that either.
Do you have an aftermarket radio? If so, this is what I did. Run for sets of speaker wires from the radio to the amp. Connect all the speaker wires to aftermarket wire harness (I'm gonna assume your using one). What I like to do is that most speaker wire when you peel it apart has a round and a square wire. Use one for ground and one for positive and keep it the same on all four sets.

Now at the amp side take a 9 volt battery and touch the end of the speaker wire. This causes the speaker to pulsate and you then know what speaker that wire is connected to and connect it to the proper location on amp. And you already know which is positive and negative so you dont have to worry about being out of phase.

So basically your going from amp - new speaker wire - wire harness behind radio - stock wiring - speakers.

This is much easier then trying to snake into doors, or trying to find the wires in kick panels and trying to tap into a tight location. Since all the speaker wires are behind the radio why not just go there.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts