Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am getting to that age where its getting a bit more difficult to backup in certain situations, especially at night, so I bought this aftermarket night vison backup camera system with a 5" X 7" monitor without really thinking it all out.

After it arrived I quickly realized there was really no good place to mount a monitor that size. It did come with a stand to mount on top of the dash but I didn't like how much it blocked your vision. After some thought I came up with what I think was a really nice solution and it came out so nice I had to share.

FYI, I did have to buy a sun visor that had no mirror or slider which I got on ebay shipped for $25, looking at what they go for that wasn't too bad.

When I cut the opening to insert the frame I didn't know what I would run into and sure enough there is a metal bracket needed for the hinge support.

So my first cut was too far left as I was trying to keep all the leveraged weight as close to the hinge as possibly to avoid the sun visor sagging. Then had to make another cut to move it to the right and just added a wider boarder around the monitor to cover up my mistake, oh well. But as you can see from the 2nd pic the added weight is not an issue and it stays up just fine.

As you will notice in the pics I still have to wire it, and put some of the cheap plastic Nissan hardware back on, but you get the idea.

Attachments

·
Registered
919 Posts
Looks good. I don't think I've seen anyone do that before. I'm sure you could even feed other video to the screen besides the backup camera if you wanted to do that.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, and your right, the monitor has 2 camera feeds, one dedicated to the backup camera so it automatically goes on when in reverse and then of course off when out of reverse, and another feed for whatever you please. I will use both as the other mistake I made was not to pay attention to the camera size. It was way too big, so I bought a smaller one that will attach to the top of the license plate and that one will power on and off when in reverse. As I already had it I used the stand that was suppose to be for the monitor to mount the larger camera and wire that into the manually controlled monitor feed. Not sure where to put it, maybe inside on the back ledge under the rear window.

Attachments

1 - 3 of 3 Posts