Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title says - I spent today up to my neck in brake fluid. My dealership said my rear cylinders were leaking so i decided to fix it myself... (anyone else hear the horror movie music?) I got the cylinders from a local auto parts store and if i'd ever do it again - i'd order genuine nissan parts because the bolts fit kinda, the spacing was a hair off, which added several hours of fidling. long story short, we got both cylinders swapped and even managed to get all the damn springs back in place...then the bleeding began. From my Chilton's I learned I have an LSV and that it should be bled...well we bled the two wheels, couldn't find the LSV and the sun went down. Now im scared to drive it anywhere. Can someone please draw me a map of where the lsv is (the picture in Chilton's is not very helpful) so I can bleed it tomorrow. Also - it is okay we did it last?:crikey:

·
Registered
8,525 Posts
Should be on the frame rail. Follow the lens to the front of the truck and you should find it. More important is that you bleed the fronts. You opened the system so you need to address the whole system.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you sure i need to do all 4 wheels? Chilton's says to do all 4 only if the master cylinder was removed...And do I need to do the ABS actuator? If so, where is that?
THANK YOU!
:hi:

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just changed both my rear cylinders as well (along with the hard-lines to the block), and after bleeding just the rears, the whole system still felt spongy. Once I did the fronts it feels fine. I used a PBR cylinder and a Napa one, and they both fit without issue (11.6" drums). Hopefully you got the correct sized cylinders...?

If your cylinders actually were leaking at the seals - the fluid would find it's way onto the drums, which means your shoes were marinating in brake fluid. If they got saturated, you really should change them too if you didn't.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To help out other clueless people - In my '98 Frontier, the LSV is located pretty much in front (towards front of vehicle) of the spare tire - its a big spring-y looking thing. Bleed valve is on the top side. I bled that and then the rear wheels again. I stops better than it did before. I'm pretty sure the cylinders weren't actually leaking. One of them looked worn, but not badly.
I didn't change the brake shoes, either. They looked fine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I was reading my 2001 QX4 factory service manual regarding the proper procedure for bleeding my system after replacing the master cylinder. The first step, it said, was to bleed air first at "LSV air bleeder (4WD)". But because my manual didn't refer to LSV anywhere else as text I had no idea that LSV was an acronym for Load Sensing Valve. I wanted to include this definition here for the next guy who might not want to spend extra time scanning the document for a phrase that might equal LSV. It does have a picture later to show me where LSV is but the pixels for "(LSV)" were part of a raster that the reader doesn't interpret.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts