Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2013 Frontier SV. The truck has locked me out more times than I would like to admit.

For example, I open the truck door lean in to put the keys in the ignition (door still open) shut the door to clean snow (never put it in drive or anything else) Instant lock. What are you supposed to do to not lock yourself out in this example?

another example, when the doors are unlocked and you start to drive the truck it auto locks once you get up to like 20mph, that is not a bad feature.

But when you drive then put the truck in park and while leaving it on, jump out close the door to do something and go back to open the door and it is locked? wtf?

What are ALL the ways a 2013 SV autolocks so I can understand this?

Any literature or information on this topic would also be appreciated.

Thank you all!

·
Registered
294 Posts
I have not tried it yet but a poster said it worked on his 2016

The automatic lock and unlock functions can be deactivated or activated independently of each other. To deactivate or activate the automatic door lock or unlock system, per- form the following procedure:
1. Close all doors.
2. Place the ignition switch in the ON position.
3. Do one of the following within 20 seconds of performing Step #2:
● To change AUTO UNLOCK settings: push and hold the power door lock switch to the position (UNLOCK) for more than 5 seconds.
● To change AUTO LOCK settings: push and hold the power door lock switch to the position (LOCK) for more than 5 seconds.
4. When activated, the hazard warning lights will flash twice. When deactivated, the hazard warning lights will flash once.
5. The ignition switch must be placed in the OFF and ON position again between each setting change.

·
Premium Member
705 Posts
I've got a '12, and there's only two times the truck will auto-lock on mine. When I start driving fast (which is pretty standard) and if I don't open the unlocked doors...let me explain.

If I hit the unlock button and unlock the door, I have 60 seconds to open a door or the truck relocks. I did have an issue with a previous car (and I just went outside to verify the truck is the same way) and if you have a bad door pin switch (perhaps the dome light doesn't turn on when you open the door) then the truck doesn't register you opened a door and locks anyway. Outside of those two scenarios...I'm afraid I'm not sure.

·
Super Moderator
11,252 Posts
It never should lock you out if the key is in the ignition. My daughter tried to intentionally lock the Sentra while warming it up and it kept unlocking each time she tried.
I had a quest years back and it was an electronics issue and they repaired it.

Clint

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What a coincidence, I was filling my 2016 up this morning and left the engine running to let it warm up (and yes I know your not suppose to do that) and purposely did not close the door for fear of it locking me out AGAIN!

Said to myself I have to find out how to turn off auto lock and found it on this forum, its not in the owners manual.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/disabling-auto-locking-58285/

I have not tried it yet buy a poster said it worked on his 2016

The automatic lock and unlock functions can be deactivated or activated independently of each other. To deactivate or activate the automatic door lock or unlock system, per- form the following procedure:
1. Close all doors.
● To change AUTO UNLOCK settings: push and hold the power door lock switch to the position (UNLOCK) for more than 5 seconds.
● To change AUTO LOCK settings: push and hold the power door lock switch to the position (LOCK) for more than 5 seconds.
4. When activated, the hazard warning lights will flash twice. When deactivated, the hazard warning lights will flash once.
5. The ignition switch must be placed in the OFF and ON position again between each setting change.
This is worth trying. Thank you!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tried it during the day and was thinking how would I see the hazards flash and then realized (dah) you will see them on the dash, its the two single lights that come on together (dah). I disabled it and saw them flash once, then enabled them and they flashed twice just as the instructions stated, then of course disabled them once again. Havent driven the truck yet but it does look like it will work.[/QUOTE

Keep me posted! Feel free to pm and thank you!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Graidian / Clint, absolutely agree it's designed so you should not be locked out with the key in the ignition. I didn't even realize it until hours later when I went to leave and kept trying to remember what exactly I did but couldn't, again I am getting old. Anyway I have been gun shy with leaving the truck with the keys in the ignition ever since.

By the way we tried that thing where I called home and had my better half hit the unlock button on the spare set of keys thru the speaker on the cell phone, others claim it works but did not for me.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,832 Posts
Graidian / Clint, absolutely agree it's designed so you should not be locked out with the key in the ignition. I didn't even realize it until hours later when I went to leave and kept trying to remember what exactly I did but couldn't, again I am getting old. Anyway I have been gun shy with leaving the truck with the keys in the ignition ever since.

By the way we tried that thing where I called home and had my better half hit the unlock button on the spare set of keys thru the speaker on the cell phone, others claim it works but did not for me.
It's probably a good idea to be gunshy about leaving the keys in anyway, even if the locking system works well. The only time I leave keys in the ignition is when the car is on the lift and I need the steering rack unlocked, and I roll down the driver's window when I do that.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
I will also guess that there is an aftermarket security system piggybacked onto the truck. A LOT of dealers do that without letting you know that they did. Some of there insurance requires a system be fitted to every vehicle to reduce there insurance rates. Often goes into an "upsale" accessory as you are trying to close the deal. Don't want it, too bad you already have it. They switch it off and leave the cheap POS on the vehicle. About 5 years later the electronics start to die combined with a sloppy install and it will leave you will all sorts of weird problems.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Any time I ever leave the keys in I roll down the window I'm paranoid about this...
I did this a lot when I first got the truck as well as didn't close the door etc, but try as I might I've yet to get my truck to lock me out as of yet. To which I've actually tried and if there is a way I've yet to figure out the sequence...

·
Registered
1,959 Posts
I have an 06 with the same situation. When I canabolized an oe key for my fob/key combo, I kept the oe metal key so I could put it in my wallet. My truck has locked me out enough so that I know better.
Also since I worked in the aftermarket auto electronics industry, I learned the hard way to ALWAYS roll the window down if leaving keys in ignition. Although my truck doesn't auto lock now. Hmm IDK.

·
Premium Member
1,173 Posts
So weird. I've had three second gens and not a single one has ever auto locked, even while driving. I didn't even think it was a feature on these trucks. I am paranoid anyway and the only time my keys are left in the truck is if it's running in my driveway or at work (secure parking lot) for a couple minutes. And when I work on the truck, windows are down.

·
Super Moderator
11,252 Posts
Go to Home Depot and buy a cheap metal key that you can keep in your pocket or wallet and just use the keyhole in the door. On one car, I had a dog leash type clip and kept the extra key hanging off a harness under the car. Only once did a mechanic ever notice it hanging and I knew I’d never get locked out again.

Clint

·
Registered
544 Posts
Go to Home Depot and buy a cheap metal key that you can keep in your pocket or wallet and just use the keyhole in the door. On one car, I had a dog leash type clip and kept the extra key hanging off a harness under the car. Only once did a mechanic ever notice it hanging and I knew I’d never get locked out again.
My coworkers will bring my truck to me on crew change day aboard ship... So I keep the valet key in a magnetic box on the frame it blends in so well that you really can't tell its there.

·
Premium Member
2,124 Posts
What a coincidence, I was filling my 2016 up this morning and left the engine running to let it warm up (and yes I know your not suppose to do that) and purposely did not close the door for fear of it locking me out AGAIN!

Said to myself I have to find out how to turn off auto lock and found it on this forum, its not in the owners manual.

http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f8/disabling-auto-locking-58285/

I have not tried it yet but a poster said it worked on his 2016

1. Close all doors.
It's in the owners manual under Door Locks. can confirm on my 2014. what you posted matches my manual and it worked fine on my truck. But all it does is disable the truck from locking when driven above 15mph and unlocking when put in park. If you're bumping the power lock button this won't help.

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,832 Posts
I suppose the easiest solution is to keep the FOB separate in your pocket from your keys, so that if you lock the truck with the keys inside you can use the fob on your person to unlock it.

·
Registered
2016 Frontier SV 4x4 Crew Cab
1,100 Posts
Any time I ever leave the keys in I roll down the window I'm paranoid about this...
agree, i do the same thing because i have locked my keys in before, not in the fronty though, it won't let me. if i try to lock it, it automatically unlocks, which is a pain when i want to warm it up, im not comfortable leaving the keys in and it running. i'm going to try the mentioned method to disable the auto-unlock (and lock) feature right now!

·
Premium Member
6,665 Posts
I've got a '12, and there's only two times the truck will auto-lock on mine. When I start driving fast (which is pretty standard) and if I don't open the unlocked doors...let me explain.

If I hit the unlock button and unlock the door, I have 60 seconds to open a door or the truck relocks. .
I have a 2014, this is also exactly how my door locks work. If the key is in the ignition and turned to ACC or ON, it shouldn't lock you out. I've had my key in the ignition tons of times while working on car audio stuff, and I've never been locked out.

What the... first time I heard that one, can't imagine that ever working (RF doesn't work that way LOL)

1 - 20 of 39 Posts