Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Been reading but can't find a good answer on this question. I recently bought all fluids for front and rear diff, transfer case and manual transmission based on what it says in the Nissan booklet.

Front and rear diff's and transfer case fluid changes were piece of cake, based on sticky from Shiner. Transmission looks easy too from reading and posts i've seen.

However, I really don't know transmission fluid change should be done.????Booklet says "inspect" every 20K miles if I'm reading it correctly, besides Note 2 which talks about towing/driving on dirt roads etc. I do none of that. And lets be honest, I cant see many home garage types inspecting fluid levels.

What is a good baseline interval/mileage to do a simple drain and re-fill for a manual transmission?
Truck has 75K on it, and its the original fluid. Its a 2017, 4x4 6spd, 6 cylinder.

For that matter, what is a good baseline to change the other fluids as well (front and rear diffs and transfer case)? I've been doing those every 35K.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,305 Posts
Perhaps overkill, but I'm swapping in new fluids every 40k miles. I'm 4x2, so that's just 6-sp & rear diff. I use a mom&pop lube shop up the street, so they do all the work. But, for DIY, you'll need a pump for the trans OR it can also be poured in from inside the cab once the shift lever is physically removed.
~ For ~$35, I have it done. Messy tedious job as the 6-sp takes almost 4.5 quarts, meaning you'll need to buy 5. Looks really easy to spill some during the swap, too.

·
Premium Member
8,305 Posts
...and GL5 in the rear diff.

Reactions: FitzIngarage

·
Registered
2018 Frontier Pro-4X 6MT
33 Posts
I bought my 18 Pro4x 6-speed with 33k on it. First thing I did was change all the fluids. Front Diff and Transmission fluid came out looking alright. The rear Diff and T-case came out looking totally spent.
I'd imagine the "mileage will vary" saying applies when asking when to change fluids in all the different components, but I plan on changing everything every 30k-40k miles. All the fluids only cost me $115 last time around. Short money and an hour or so of my time, its a no brainer whether people think its to early to change or not IMO.

I posted about it here: 2018 pro4x fluid opinion. diff/transfer case/6mt

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
hey folks, thanks for all replies. GMAN, thanks for linking that previous thread, always good to see other peoples opinions on things too. Sounds like most are still in the camp of do it when it feels right for you.

moving forward, I think I'll just plan on doing ALL undercarriage fluids on 40k mile intervals. peace of mind goes a long way and doesn't seem overkill in frequency. thanks for the input all.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts