Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, been awhile since I posted but I just bought a brand new 2016 frontier manual six cylinder. I bought it with 80 miles on it and I changed the oil filter and oil at 1,250 miles with regular penzoil 5w30 as I heard it is good to do an oil change after the break in period. I also heard to keep regular oil in the frontier for up to ten thousand miles before switching to synthetic as rumor has it that Dino oil will lubricate the valves and everything better right off the bat.....anyhow I am coming up on four thousand miles and am going to do an oil change. I want to put synthetic in it but don't want to harm anything on it. Should I just keep Dino oil in it for another cycle or switch to synthetic now

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
I would do synth, I already did mine a few days ago

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
10,758 Posts
Just my take on this, I'm on my 5th Frontier and them including my Pathfinder only ran on 5w-30 Dino oil and the Pathfinder and last Frontier had roughly 125,000 miles each and none of the 6 trucks had any oil related issues.
You can go synthetic at 5,000 miles if you'd like.
Enjoy the new truck, I miss my manual trans immensely and am pissed that they won't build me another long bed crew cab.

Clint

·
Registered
305 Posts
I switched to synthetic on the first 5K oil change. Requested it at the dealer and for a modest upcharge they did it. I've run synthetic in all my vehicles since Mobil 1 first came out with theirs. I put well over 100K miles on my vehicles and even ran an old '76 Scout II to 345,000 miles on synthetic. Jump in and do when you want to.

·
Registered
491 Posts
In my opinion you may start using synthetic any time you wish. There is no advantage to running non-synthetic when new or any other time, many new vehicles come from the factory with synthetic. Probably the only reason Nissan doesn't use synthetic in new vehicles is to save a few dollars.

·
Premium Member
2,444 Posts
My first oil change was at 5000 at home with synth (I dont trust their "mechanics" or "lube techs" with my oil pan

Sent from my iPhone 7 plus using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Alright thank you for the replies. I switched to Penzoil Platinum Full Synthetic. I have ran that in my 98 frontier since 70 thousand miles and it is still running at 180 thousand. Can't go wrong there thank you!

·
Super Moderator
19,763 Posts
While conventional oil works just fine, you cannot safely extend your oil change interval like you can with synthetic. I do my oil changes once a year instead of 2-3 times if I used conventional oil.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
AAA did their own study and rated synthetic oils as 47% better than conventional oils in a variety of industry-standard tests.

Or, one can change their conventional oil more often and (maybe) save a few bucks.

I'm a peace of mind guy and choose to spend the extra money for full synthetic.
YMMV

Reactions: sscott87

·
Super Moderator
19,763 Posts
AAA did their own study and rated synthetic oils as 47% better than conventional oils in a variety of industry-standard tests.

Or, one can change their conventional oil more often and (maybe) save a few bucks.

I'm a peace of mind guy and choose to spend the extra money for full synthetic.
YMMV
47% is nearly twice as good. When you change your oil more frequently, it becomes a wash on the cost versus using full synthetic.

·
Premium Member
6,432 Posts
Towing, hot weather...lots of stop&go driving make synthetic an easy choice, imho. And I don't tow.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I plan to keep to dino oil. I have never had a oil related issue with any of my vehicles. What the kicker was, the service advisor stated that while under warranty I should keep to the 6month or 5k, which ever came first. So no advantage to run synthetic. I generally drive about 7k per year. For me it means 2 oil changes per year.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I plan to keep to dino oil. I have never had a oil related issue with any of my vehicles. What the kicker was, the service advisor stated that while under warranty I should keep to the 6month or 5k, which ever came first. So no advantage to run synthetic. I generally drive about 7k per year. For me it means 2 oil changes per year.
Never understood time based OCI's as oil does not know how old it is, just how much life it has left.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
I run Mobil 1. The truck has less than 8000 miles on it. What the truck goes through is extreme so I don't go by what Nissan recommends.

·
Super Moderator
19,763 Posts
Never understood time based OCI's as oil does not know how old it is, just how much life it has left.
Depending on the climate you operate or store your vehicle in, the maximum time to go without changing oil is usually one year. You could always send an oil sample to a lab to see what's left in the oil if you wanted to extend that interval. The oil may not know how old it is just like it doesn't know what contaminates are in it or life that is left in it.

·
Premium Member
1,932 Posts
If you do alot of short hops then the oil becomes very acidic. If the engine and particularly the oil doesn't get up to temp then it can't cook off (evaporate) some of those impurities. If you want to go longer I'd either get your oil tested or run a bypass filter. people have been able to quadruple OCI with a bypass filter. They trap down to a few micron vs a full-flow filter that gets down to 20-40 micron

·
Registered
567 Posts
Here is my take. The warranty book calls for a time or mileage, whichever comes first for oil changes. While the vehicle is under warranty, why take the chance Nissan would deny coverage for not meeting the maintenance schedule. Like I stated, it means doing two oil changes per year for me.

I tend to do a number of short drives (less than 4 miles). The vehicle never really gets up to warm up for very long. IMO, that is hard on the vehicle.

·
Premium Member
5,595 Posts
Here is my take. The warranty book calls for a time or mileage, whichever comes first for oil changes. While the vehicle is under warranty, why take the chance Nissan would deny coverage for not meeting the maintenance schedule. Like
Just curious, how would they know when you changed or didn't change your oil? Do they ask for documentation? My documentation? I write the mileage on the oil filter with a felt pen.

·
Registered
469 Posts
I'm 41 and have owned many high mileage vehicles and have always used conventional oil with no problems at all. I currently have 3 vehicles with over 150k on them. Opinions vary but I'll stick with what has always worked for me. Happy motoring.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 36 Posts