Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am in dire need of new front brakes and rotors, and I am actually looking forward to this, as it will be my most extensive project to date.

But that's the problem. I can't seem to figure out exactly how extensive I need to be.

The procedure in my Haynes manual involves taking the rotor and hub off together, separating the two, performing a repack of the bearings (which looks like a pain in the tail), then putting it all back together again. The videos and write-ups I have seen online show the rotor being knocked off the hub and and a new one screwed on and that's that. There is no mention of a repack.

So what is the right way to do this? Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
subscribed for reference :)

·
Registered
919 Posts
You'll want to do a re-pack since you will have the bearings out of the vehicle when replacing your rotors. Your also going to need a grease seal that is located on the back of the rotor.

·
Registered
293 Posts
since about the late '80s/ early '90s most vehicles came with removable rotors. The hubs stay on the vehicle. Depending on how many miles and what kind of terrain you usually run in, re-packing the bearings is not needed during a basic brake change. I've ran into times on some vehicles where the hubs have non-replaceable/ serviceable bearings. This may have changed by now.
when you remove the two bolts holding the caliper on, usually the rotor will pretty much fall off the studs on your hub. A good thing to do when the rotor is off is spin the hub with your hands listen or feel for any binding, noise or play in any way. Otherwise I'd just leave them if they are still in sound condition. My '92 jeep has 200k miles on it 4 or 5 brake and rotor changes and still oem hubs and bearings.

·
Registered
28 Posts
his is an 01, so i believe they do have the inner and outer bearings with the grease seal on the back. You dont HAVE to replace, but since ur in there anyways it is simple insurance for not having problems later.
Agreed. I did mine (2003) a couple of weeks ago. Count on a few hours if you're working by yourself and it's your first time. If you're going to repack, you're going to want a bearing packer.

My rotors were pretty warped. I went with Powerslots and Hawk HPS pads and am very pleased with the outcome.

But as mentioned before, it's not absolutely necessary to repack, but yes, you'll have to pull the hub as the rotor will be bolted to it from the rear. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
1,134 Posts
Yeah, you do have to remove and should repack the bearings. I got my shop to do it and they quoted 2 hours (thats what I paid for).. It took him 3ish. It looked like a major pain in the ***.

·
Registered
985 Posts
More bearings have been ruined from contamination than for under lubrication. Leave'm alone unless absolutely necessary to get the rotors.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts