Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Traded my 20 SV CC for a 22 S KC. Love the look of the KC but I need to do something with these wheels... Anyone painted these steelies black? The truck has lots of matte black trim so the silver wheels look out of place IMO. Its basically a work truck so it won't be getting expensive new rims and tires for Christmas :)
Automotive parking light Tire Wheel Sky Cloud

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,606 Posts
I Plasti-Dip'd my wheels black years ago. Easy to use, lasts a long time, and you can peel it off if you want to change them later. I needed 4 cans for my 17" alloys wheels, you may need less on those. Thin, light coats, let them dry 20 minutes in between.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
If memory serves me @cuda383 is running some black steelies...or at least he was at one time I think. Maybe he will chime in on the subject.

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I Plasti-Dip'd my wheels black years ago. Easy to use, lasts a long time, and you can peel it off if you want to change them later. I needed 4 cans for my 17" alloys wheels, you may need less on those. Thin, light coats, let them dry 20 minutes in between.
How'd you keep it off the tires- or does it peel off the rubber?

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
14,606 Posts
How'd you keep it off the tires- or does it peel off the rubber?
It will peel off the tires. I would actually coat evenly around the edge of the rim and onto the tire, it peels better when it's a little thicker coating versus a little overspray. Make sense?

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
If memory serves me @cuda383 is running some black steelies...or at least he was at one time I think. Maybe he will chime in on the subject.
Car Window Plant Vehicle Wheel
Wheel Tire Automotive parking light Car Vehicle

These are the spares. They were already black, just touched them up with some rustoleum satin black. First pic is before and second is after. OP should have no problem using the same (y)

·
Premium Member
2020 SV CC 4x4 (Midnight)
370 Posts
These are the spares. They were already black, just touched them up with some rustoleum satin black.
Always liked the way your truck looked . one of my favorites in this forum. Inspired me to look for steelies for my truck. Did find some alloys that kinda look like steel ones, but I'll go for steel when the time comes.

·
Premium Member
2020 SV CC 4x4 (Midnight)
370 Posts
Yeah, it has a purposeful "we ain't going to a car show" look.
"purposeful" good word. I think your truck already looks great. The S and SV look the best in my opinion and I think your truck would look exceptional with those wheels painted black. If you go through with it... definitely post a picture. (y)

Reactions: Bamps

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"purposeful" good word. I think your truck already looks great. The S and SV look the best in my opinion and I think your truck would look exceptional with those wheels painted black. If you go through with it... definitely post a picture. (y)
I'll do it when we have a couple days of good weather guaranteed. I think I can get the emblems off the center caps so I don't have to paint over them. I'd like stripe them like I did on my Challenger but these have weights on them...
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

Wheel Car Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
2022 S King Cab
235 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Anyone know if Xterra wheels will fit? I can get a set of 16in 5 spoke alloys for dirt cheap - like 100.00. I'd still paint them matte black but maybe a bit nicer final result than painting the steelies...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts