Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2016 SV 4x4 with a 2.5/1.5 coil adaptor/shackle lift. I have been reading up a bit on tire and wheel sizes and what needs to be done to make things fit. Does this combo seem like it would work on my setup with only minor trimming?

Wheels:
Size: 17x8
Offset: 20mm

Tires:
LT285/70R17

Ultra Bolt Black Painted

BFGoodrich*All-Terrain T/A KO2

·
Registered
2,816 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
I recently installed 275/70R18 tires (around 33.2 inches) a couple weeks ago. The tire size your looking at is probably around 32.7 inches. My tires were barely rubbing. I ended up having to remove the front splash guards and trim off the corner on the pinch welds behind the guards. My tires are good now. You might get lucky without having to do anything, and if so it would be very minor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I recently installed 275/70R18 tires (around 33.2 inches) a couple weeks ago. The tire size your looking at is probably around 32.7 inches. My tires were barely rubbing. I ended up having to remove the front splash guards and trim off the corner on the pinch welds behind the guards. My tires are good now. You might get lucky without having to do anything, and if so it would be very minor.
Are you listed at all or sitting at stock height?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Search on Tire Rack for what fits your truck. Just because the Dodge Dakota is the only other vehicle with our weird bolt pattern does not mean they will fit.

The brake caliper is the limiting factor on Nissans.

This thread will give you some ideas - http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f78/list-wheels-definitely-fit-2005-frontiers-add-5949/

Tire rack says those wheels fit my truck but I'm was curious as to the combo fitting with that tire size and wheel offset. From what I've been reading and the replies on this I think it will be okay with just the minimal trimming. Thanks for the quick replies. I will post pics if I pull the trigger on these.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Tire rack says those wheels fit my truck but I'm was curious as to the combo fitting with that tire size and wheel offset. From what I've been reading and the replies on this I think it will be okay with just the minimal trimming. Thanks for the quick replies. I will post pics if I pull the trigger on these.

OK... when I clicked on your link it said 'Wheels that fit on a Dodge Dakota' so I just thought I'd throw that out there.

You should be fine at that height, depending on the offset of the new wheels. If they stick out a little farther, you will have to modify a little more. Not really a big deal and if you do it right, it can be hidden behind the fender liner. Since you are getting them from Tire Rack, I assume you will have them shipped to your house already mounted and balanced. That will allow you to make any mod's before you have to drive any distance and possibly damage a tire. If you do end up having to cut the pinch weld back, hit it with some paint before you melt the liner back to keep it from rusting.

In case you have not seen it, this thread details how to align our rigs to move the wheels forward slightly and give more clearance:
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f26/alignment-instructions-give-your-tech-via-brutal-nismo4x-134009/

Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
I'm running 285/70R17's on my truck, and with a little less than a 40mm offset (1.5" spacers), they rub - even after cutting & trimming, and with a 6" lift (more like 7.5", by the time you factor in the coilovers).

If you wanna go with an offset wheel, with minimal lifting, then honestly I'd rather try to steer you in a different direction, and recommend a wider rim with a 0 offset (that'll compensate for the offset rims you're thinking of), and go with a 305/65R17 tire (or 305/60 - I can't remember exactly which ones I checked the specs on).
The wider tire will give you the look you want, and the lower profile will help avoid the rubbing, though you still may end up having to do some minimal trimming.

Plus, there are more tire options, for the 305/60-or65-R17, than there are for the 285/70's...

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Oh, and trust me...
With tires, wider is better than taller.
Taller tires will cost you in speed, performance, and fuel mileage.
Wider tires will give you better traction, better performance, and only cost you a little in fuel mileage - but nowhere near a much as what it will cost with the taller ones.

Just go in minor increments, or it won't matter which way you end up going, taller or wider, if you go too crazy, they'll both cause you nothing but headaches!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Lifted, 2.5. The height isn't what got me though. The back of the wheel is what would catch.

Got ya. Thanks for the info. I am not sure when I am going to make a purchase but I will post pics.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Premium Member
195 Posts
Dude, those are exactly the tires I've been looking at, and the same ones I was referring to, when I gave you that size recommendation.

How do you like them?
Any rubbing after the mods?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Dude, those are exactly the tires I've been looking at, and the same ones I was referring to, when I gave you that size recommendation.

How do you like them?
Any rubbing after the mods?

They do rub ever so slightly on the fender liner but I think I just need to melt a little more. It only happens at about 3/4 full lock. I took it through some mud an a few rocks. It gave me a decent look at how it's going to perform. I didn't have any rubbing while doing that so... I like them a lot.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Updating this because of a few issues. I have found that this setup does rub and bend the front of the rear fender right above where the mudflap screw holes are. I think rolling the fender would possible work without having to cut anything. I'll update this after I have tried rolling them.

·
Registered
374 Posts
I hate free advertising also!

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=S2Y4NkswQUZlYXlrMk1URkxQaWF0MWNHcHo1dTd3

When I saw this photo above, it reminded me of something I also did when I first bought my Fronty home. Can you guess what it is? If you guessed that I removed the "free advertising" then you are correct!!!>:D When I first brought her home, I removed the actual decal but left the residue on as a project for another day. Today, I just finished completely removing the adhesive. I used a soaking wet soft rag (with water of course) and just gave the adhesive a good rub and viola: it was completely off without a trace. (It now looks like I bought it straight from the factory::grin::)

Alot of people suggested that I use a hair dryer but I am not going to take the chance and mess up the paint on a brand new Fronty so...:serious:

·
Registered
1 Posts
What year model frontier do u have and what lift kit?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts