Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
tried to install american racing wheels tonight at sears. they couldnt because the front wheels need spacers. i think it had to do with the calipers (sorry, i'm not a car expert).

- is there anything i should know before i go out and research/buy them?
- i need spacers for each wheel, right?
- any companies on the web that are good/reputable?

i was so disappointed after a 2 hour wait that it couldnt be installed. they told me the back two wheels that were installed looked real nice. :(

any assistance would be appreciated. thank you....

·
Registered
261 Posts
I am also curious to this as well I think this is the only way that I am going to get a 16 aftermarket rim to work. Are spacers dangerous to use. I will not be running any crazy offroading but when I see a big pudle of mud I just have to play in it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
since there was a lot of views but no expert opinions, i decided to go with this company. they seem to know their stuff because he knew the second i said 06 frontier, what size spacer was needed. everything is custom built and the materials they use seem top notch. here is their website:

http://www.performancewheel.com/spacers.cfm?gacid=900

like the previous post stated, i did hear something where it is not safe. since i have to do it (rims are non-refundable), i decided to spend extra on the quality and not buy generic....

·
MOD & Token MINI Owner
2,296 Posts
I don't know very much about the spacer issue, but Performance Wheel & Tire is a good shop here in Denver. I had them hook me up with some tires for my old Civic. Good shop with knowledgeable staff!

·
Registered
261 Posts
I spent my whole day researching as well to find out if spacers were ok to run. So what I found out is that as long as you are not doing "fast offroading" and keep it to "slow" offroading and regular street driving you should run into no problems as long as you keep on top of the spacer (i.e. everytime you rotate the tires just double check that the spacer is torqued correctly) I placed an order with Wayne from that same company. I think he said that krypto89 had just ordered his as well. I decided to go with a 1.5 spacer becuse I didn't do my homework correctly and bought my tires for the stock rim and I am unhappy with the way that it looks and can not get a 16 inch rim with a zero offset without a spacer.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
StormNISMO said:
I don't know very much about the spacer issue, but Performance Wheel & Tire is a good shop here in Denver. I had them hook me up with some tires for my old Civic. Good shop with knowledgeable staff!
i feel a little more assured with my purchase now. thanks for your input...

coz said:
While I cannot personally vouch for their quality, these seem to fit the bill as well:
http://www.ezaccessory.com/Wheel_Adapter_6_Lug_4_5_To_6_Lug_4_5_p/6450-6450.htm
price and quality looks good. would have saved a few bucks but that's okay. the bolts attached seem short though. the people i bought it from said 1 1/4" would be good. thanks for researching on my behalf....

my05 said:
I spent my whole day researching as well to find out if spacers were ok to run. So what I found out is that as long as you are not doing "fast offroading" and keep it to "slow" offroading and regular street driving you should run into no problems as long as you keep on top of the spacer (i.e. everytime you rotate the tires just double check that the spacer is torqued correctly) I placed an order with Wayne from that same company. I think he said that krypto89 had just ordered his as well. I decided to go with a 1.5 spacer becuse I didn't do my homework correctly and bought my tires for the stock rim and I am unhappy with the way that it looks and can not get a 16 inch rim with a zero offset without a spacer.
im a onroad driver so i dont think i'll have any issues either. rats, we should have bargained for a lower price together. :wink: at least you dont have to pay $60 extra to fedex to hawaii like me. good luck to the both of us that everything works out fine in the end....

·
Registered
91 Posts
ok guys , i have already went thru this ordeal....i bought a set of 16 custom wheels from a guy that had a 2002 pathfinder...well come to find out they switched the bolt pattern in 2005....i looked and looked, for adapters...if u buy from ez accesory.com those are not very well built....i searched hard before i went to this guy...but he has a LIFETIME warranty....they are a lil pricey....285 for a set of 4...but i do have a set of 16" custom wheels on my 2005 Frontier....Wheeladapter.com si the best adapters i could find!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
jfent01 said:
ok guys , i have already went thru this ordeal....i bought a set of 16 custom wheels from a guy that had a 2002 pathfinder...well come to find out they switched the bolt pattern in 2005....i looked and looked, for adapters...if u buy from ez accesory.com those are not very well built....i searched hard before i went to this guy...but he has a LIFETIME warranty....they are a lil pricey....285 for a set of 4...but i do have a set of 16" custom wheels on my 2005 Frontier....Wheeladapter.com si the best adapters i could find!!!
i saw wheeladapter.com, but i shy away from websites that do not give me prices up front. the price of the ones we ordered is about the same with yours.

btw, how many inches was your spacer? did you lift your frontier? what size tires do you have on there?

·
Registered
91 Posts
They are the factory tires, that were on my frontier....yeah i emailed this guy and he called me back the next day...the owner himself Fred....he was a really interesting guy...dont usually see that very often either....i hope the studs that u get are the same size as the nissan studs are...they are different...and the bore setting...Fred has done work for Nissan and my adapters are perfect fit....bore size is perfect, so no movement at all from spacer....everything went smooth...all i did was take my wheels off and had somebody switch the tires...i installed the adapters myself...and put wheels back on....no lift on my truck either..i believe they are 1.5 spacers...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
jfent01 said:
They are the factory tires, that were on my frontier....yeah i emailed this guy and he called me back the next day...the owner himself Fred....he was a really interesting guy...dont usually see that very often either....i hope the studs that u get are the same size as the nissan studs are...they are different...and the bore setting...Fred has done work for Nissan and my adapters are perfect fit....bore size is perfect, so no movement at all from spacer....everything went smooth...all i did was take my wheels off and had somebody switch the tires...i installed the adapters myself...and put wheels back on....no lift on my truck either..i believe they are 1.5 spacers...
thanks for making me worry if the studs and bore setting are okay. :( i just get so worried with things that are custom made and cannot be returned/exchanged...

·
Registered
85 Posts
wheeladapter.com is a good place to buy spacers. we get spacers built there for road racing (circuit). fred (the owner) makes spacers for the duallys, porsche cup cars etc. his quality is on top! he custom makes the spacers. i'm actually thinking of getting a pcd changer/spacer. i have this spare set of 18' work but it's 5 lug. and i want to put it in my 06 frontier. lol....

he's in socal... and so am i. he makes top quality spacers.

·
Registered
261 Posts
krypto89 said:
thanks for making me worry if the studs and bore setting are okay. :( i just get so worried with things that are custom made and cannot be returned/exchanged...
I get my spacers installed on my truck tomorrow becuase I am local he is making my spacers right away. I will let you know if there are any issues but I talked to one on the techs for a very long time and I am confident that all is going to work out okay.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
my05 said:
I get my spacers installed on my truck tomorrow becuase I am local he is making my spacers right away. I will let you know if there are any issues but I talked to one on the techs for a very long time and I am confident that all is going to work out okay.
thanks for calming my nerves. 8O damn they are fast. yup, let me know how it goes. good luck...

·
Registered
205 Posts
Krypto not to un-calm your nerves, but I got excited after your talk of spacers and fitting 16" wheels because the Ultra wheels I ordered didn't fit either a while back. So I was planning on ordering the same set again andputting spacers but I went to 4 of the top tire/wheel shops in San Francisco and I got the same anwser with the safety issue.

Big O of San Francisco
Roberts Tire of San Francisco
Wheel Works of San Francisco
Americas Tire Company of Redwood City

They all pretty much said the same thing of how in the long run, it's not safe and not good on your suspension, saying how it adds extra weight to ...... (something I can't remember). They all said, if it was their brand new truck, they would not do it.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
chinaman said:
Krypto not to un-calm your nerves, but I got excited after your talk of spacers and fitting 16" wheels because the Ultra wheels I ordered didn't fit either a while back. So I was planning on ordering the same set again andputting spacers but I went to 4 of the top tire/wheel shops in San Francisco and I got the same anwser with the safety issue.

Big O of San Francisco
Roberts Tire of San Francisco
Wheel Works of San Francisco
Americas Tire Company of Redwood City

They all pretty much said the same thing of how in the long run, it's not safe and not good on your suspension, saying how it adds extra weight to ...... (something I can't remember). They all said, if it was their brand new truck, they would not do it.
thanks for the info. well, i already invested $1200 on non-returnable wheels. i already spent $300 on non-returnable spacers. i'm pretty much at a point of no return. guess if anyone plans on getting new rims/wheels, it should be at least the stock offset or a little more so spacers do not come into issue...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
frkrican2004 said:
what is the stock offset
+30 i believe. that's what it says on most of the wheel websites i have been on. the wheels i got from american racing was a +25...

·
Registered
298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
chinaman said:
you must keep in mind that the offset will be more off because im guessing you didn't buy a 16x7 aftermarket wheel. I'm guessing you bought a 16x8 0r 16x10 which changes the offset more that just +5

Well at least thats what I was told
i think the LE is 17 X 7.5 and i got a 17 X 8 wheel. the tire guy said he needed a 1/2 inch spacer to fit the wheel, 1 inch would be optimal...

1 - 20 of 30 Posts