Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any other dirt cheap options for wheels for my 2013 kc besides the stock steel wheels? My tires are very good Michelins, so I don’t want to change wheel size and have to buy new tires. Tacoma or Colorado, or Canyon, anything? Help!

·
Registered
329 Posts
depends what you think is cheap, guessin about $125 ea delivered. just search + decide. i had mickey thompsons classic style on my colorado less than $125 from jegs just SEARCH!!! only you know what you like!

·
Registered
2015 Nissan Frontier SV Crew Cab LWB 4x4
1,846 Posts
Pickings are pretty slim because the only vehicles with 6 on 4.5" bolt pattern are the Dodge Viper, the Dodge Dakota from '94 to '04, and the smaller Nissan F-alphas (Frontier, Xterra, Pathfinder) 2005-present.

There are vendors selling aftermarket steel wheels:

Summit Racing

the problem is if you search by-truck for these Nissan Frontiers, they don't list them. Why they don't list them for the Frontier I couldn't say for sure, but I can think of two reasons. First, no manufacturer has formally tested these wheels on the Frontier, so they don't know if they fit, or second they have tested these and have confirmed that they don't fit. And even if they do fit, a Dakota-fitting (or Viper-fitting) wheel wouldn't have the same center hole, so you'd want to find a hubcentric adapter to move some of the load from the lugs to the hub.

Wheel fitment is harder than it used to be, especially with modern clearances between disc brake calipers and the wheels. It's possible that the Dakota's hub mounting surface sticks out further so the calipers end up more recessed under the vehicle, making for better clearance to the backside face of the wheel. In that case you'd have to run wheel adapters even on the same bolt pattern and size, which might not be terribly cost-effective.

·
Registered
329 Posts
check the manufacturers as well as vendor web sites, a phone call works as well. discount tyre has a lot of cheaper alum wheels + if you buy tyres as well they are mounted + balanced free + free ship!!! lots of info on fitments by searching various web sites as well, good luck. if not for the fact that my OE 16's are nice IMO i would look into 15" aluminum styles, they are cheaper + generally lighter as are the tyres for them. changing the diameter of your wheel package is an easy up or down final gear ratio change.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Dirt cheap

I would consider dirt cheap to be 4 wheels for under 200. I was hoping for a set from 01-04 ? The flat spoke grey ones , until I was informed that the bolt pattern changed. Bummer. These stock steel wheels look like GM ralley wheels from the 70’s. Sounds like my options for cheap are very limited. Maybe some black plastidip or powder coat, to see how that looks. Thanks for the replies.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dakota wheels

Pickings are pretty slim because the only vehicles with 6 on 4.5" bolt pattern are the Dodge Viper, the Dodge Dakota from '94 to '04, and the smaller Nissan F-alphas (Frontier, Xterra, Pathfinder) 2005-present.

There are vendors selling aftermarket steel wheels:

Summit Racing

the problem is if you search by-truck for these Nissan Frontiers, they don't list them. Why they don't list them for the Frontier I couldn't say for sure, but I can think of two reasons. First, no manufacturer has formally tested these wheels on the Frontier, so they don't know if they fit, or second they have tested these and have confirmed that they don't fit. And even if they do fit, a Dakota-fitting (or Viper-fitting) wheel wouldn't have the same center hole, so you'd want to find a hubcentric adapter to move some of the load from the lugs to the hub.

Wheel fitment is harder than it used to be, especially with modern clearances between disc brake calipers and the wheels. It's possible that the Dakota's hub mounting surface sticks out further so the calipers end up more recessed under the vehicle, making for better clearance to the backside face of the wheel. In that case you'd have to run wheel adapters even on the same bolt pattern and size, which might not be terribly cost-effective.
Those Dakota wheels don’t look too bad at all. I could live with those. Never really thought about center hole size before, but i’ll Look into these.
Thanks for the info.

Attachments

·
Registered
329 Posts
unless you find some local takeoffs that do not need shipping 4 for 200 is unrealistic IMO, but if not in a hurry keep looking in newspapers + craigs list in your area, good luck with that!!

·
Super Moderator
11,292 Posts
This is why you need to put your location in your profile so we can see if one of us could help you. I have a set of four wheels off my 2007 pathfinder with tpms sensors on them and no tires. They are in the shed for the last 6-7 years. They are 16 inch and will bolt right up.

Clint

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Those Dakota wheels don’t look too bad at all. I could live with those. Never really thought about center hole size before, but i’ll Look into these.
Thanks for the info.
I always liked those wheels on the Dakota, but I fear that they might not look as good on a Frontier. That 2001+ Dakota wheel has a lot of smooth curves in the spoke design, and the truck is similarly styled, not a lot of hard edges on either, all rounded curves. The Frontier has mostly chiseled lines, hard edges, hard corners, geometric shapes, no real swooping curves.

If I were looking at Dakota wheels, I'd look at the '91-96 Dakotas (I earlier misspoke, '91 is when they went 6 on 4.5", not '94), as those trucks also had hard edges and their wheels similarly matched. But even then there could be issues clearing the brakes. The Dakotas derive from the F/J/M body cars that were developed in the seventies with disc/drum brake combinations that themselves originated from Chryslers of-old that included four-drum designs, so the hub-face on the back of the wheel simply might not have the clearance that a modern designed-for-disc-brakes vehicle has.

·
Premium Member
7,137 Posts
Usually it's wheels dictating the tires, not the other way around.

Check out a Discount Tire store. I got trade-in on my BFG Long Trails for a set of Michelin Defenders. This way you could step up to 16" wheels which will have more choices in our silly bolt pattern than your 15"ers.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I’m leaning towards a black plasti dip job, just to see my stockers in black. Then i’ll Decide on powder coat. I won’t need tires for a long time, when I do , i’ll decide on a different wheel. Thanks for all of the input.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
That seems reasonable. I've had a lot of vehicles over the years and I've always ran the wheels until the tires wore out or otherwise performed poorly before making a change, but for one car with steel wheels I did touch 'em up with spraypaint when I ditched the hubcaps and had to paint where the hubcaps bit into the rim edge.

There seems to be a lot of 16" options, and a fair number of 17" options as well. You might even get lucky and find one of those 2012 "Sport" package set of wheels, the charcoal grey ones with ten spokes. Either way, I've always found the best time to look is when you're not desperate for what you're looking for, because you can afford to pass on something that's almost but not quite what you want.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts