Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my brakes done at firestone about 5000 miles ago and now my drivers side front wheel bearing feels like its going. I have alot of brake dust buildup only on that front rim and I get a shake from about 40-60 mph that comes and goes. I also had a little squeak when under 15 mph. Are the wheel bearings the same as other 2wd trucks so I can easily pop them out and put in new for about $30. I cant find them online, only hubs which i assume are only for the 4wd.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Nope, just the hub itself.

Are you sure it is the bearings and not that firestone screwed something up? Are all the lug nuts tqed to spec? That is the first thing to look at.

Were the rotors replaced or just turned? Did they fubar the calipers at all and cause them to wear funny.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wheels bearing are too often blamed for issues that are not cause by it. I know i have replaced at least one set of wheel bearing only to find it was something else causing my issue. I suspect it has something to do with the brake job.

My friends dad is a mechanic. He always says, you messed with something and now you have an issue. It is most likey what ever you messed with that is causing your issue.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea but the problem doesnt seem to be happening under braking. well it happens with the brakes on or not. But I just washed my truck and their is a massive amount of break dust and a burning smell coming from the front driver side tire. No pulling under breaking just a vibration that is there sometimes and sometimes not but it def got worse the past 100 miles. Ill have to pull it apart this weekend I guess.

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
If it is that bad, it would probably be best to inspect the issue fully before driving again. You don't want your brakes going out at 60mph or heck, even 40mph.

I assume yoiu checked the lugs already and felt to see if there is play in the caliper/pads.

Thinking along the "brakes are the issue" lines. They may have forced the piston back into the caliper and cocked it a bit and now it won't retract correctly or at all. This could cause the pad to wear quickly and produce a lot of heat and a burning smell.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I had my brakes done at firestone about 5000 miles ago and now my drivers side front wheel bearing feels like its going. I have alot of brake dust buildup only on that front rim and I get a shake from about 40-60 mph that comes and goes. I also had a little squeak when under 15 mph. Are the wheel bearings the same as other 2wd trucks so I can easily pop them out and put in new for about $30. I cant find them online, only hubs which i assume are only for the 4wd.
I'm pretty sure the bearings in the hub are not servicable. It comes as a hub assembly. Sounds like your caliper is hanging up. And, you probably have a warped rotor.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok I took it apart this weekend. I think it is the caliper sticking. Everything fromt he lugs to the bearing seemed tight. I rocked the wheel when up on the jack and it felt tight. A ton of brake dust all over and very hot brakes means it sticking sometime and not others. I had a bad caliper in other cars and it pulled hard to one side. Is this a bad caliper or do you think it was put back together wrong? Would it take 5-6000 miles to show up? Ive never done brakes before and I dont know if i trust myself to mess with something so important.

Wouldnt an ABS light or something come on? It does feel sluggish when I have the vibration too like something is holding it back.

·
Super Moderator
20,352 Posts
Ok I took it apart this weekend. I think it is the caliper sticking. Everything fromt he lugs to the bearing seemed tight. I rocked the wheel when up on the jack and it felt tight. A ton of brake dust all over and very hot brakes means it sticking sometime and not others. I had a bad caliper in other cars and it pulled hard to one side. Is this a bad caliper or do you think it was put back together wrong? Would it take 5-6000 miles to show up? Ive never done brakes before and I dont know if i trust myself to mess with something so important.

Wouldnt an ABS light or something come on? It does feel sluggish when I have the vibration too like something is holding it back.
I would think that if it was put back together improperly, it would surface well before 5000 miles. As for the ABS light. I don't think it would illuminate because the wheel speed is probably the same for the dragging wheel. It just gets hooter and sheds more dust because it has more pressure on it than the other side. I'm almost certain that your caliper slides are loaded with brake dust that could impact the movement of the pads.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So it turns out to be the caliper sticking. It destroyed my brand new pads and rotor on drivers side. Firestone wanted $915 to replace both calipers both sets of pads and both rotors. I told them forget it.
Do I need to change both sides pads and rotors at the same time? The brake job has maybe 6-7000 miles on it. I know ill need a caliper pads and rotors on the drivers side atleast.
Do they make a brake upgrade kit for the XE? How hard is it to switch over to SE brakes since im replacing basically everything anyway?

·
Super Moderator
20,352 Posts
So it turns out to be the caliper sticking. It destroyed my brand new pads and rotor on drivers side. Firestone wanted $915 to replace both calipers both sets of pads and both rotors. I told them forget it.
Do I need to change both sides pads and rotors at the same time? The brake job has maybe 6-7000 miles on it. I know ill need a caliper pads and rotors on the drivers side atleast.
Do they make a brake upgrade kit for the XE? How hard is it to switch over to SE brakes since im replacing basically everything anyway?
I would inspect and measure the good side to decide if I wanted to replace those pads and rotor. If the rotor is close to the minimum thickness, replace both. Also measure the amount of friction material left on the pads. They should be in good shape unless you do a lot of city driving. I don't know about brake upgrades but I'm sure somebody on here does and will hopefully chime in.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Here's my suggestion for you. You want the brakes as close to equal on both sides as possible. Call around a few parts houses, get quotes for a pair of rebuilt calipers, two rotors and a GOOD set of pads. You may want to check the brake hose too on the side thats hanging up. They can and do fail internally, they can collapse internally, a bad hose holds the pressure between the caliper and the pinched point inside the hose, so the caliper doesn't release the rotor. Look at the brake hose also to see that it wasn't twisted when Firestone did the brake job. Don't scrimp on the brakes. Ask a bud to help, things go much better that way, and I bet your costs will be less than half of the Firestone quote.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.