Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone - I had an inner front wheel bearing come apart (very bad noise, but no other damage to spindle or rotor). When I went to pull the rotor and got to the main nut, it was only hand tight. I repacked replaced the bearings and tightened the main nut with a wrench...I didn't really jam on it, but now I'm worried that I either over-or-undertightened it...does anybody have the specs for torqueing this nut?

Thank you
OS88

·
Registered
63 Posts
There is probably an official way to do it but I just do it by feel...

I tend to overtighten temporarily to seat, back off, hand tighten, put the locking nut on, etc.

To me it is obvious if not right. I.e. hard to spin wheel, or slop pulling in and out from 12 and 6 oclock positions.

Did your bearing race get damaged? If so you get to go through the fun of pounding them out of the hub.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Wdoyle - thank you. The inner race that contacts the spindle on the inner bearing was stuck on the spindle so bad due to overheating that I had to put a torch on it and drive it off with a punch and mallet. I guess it was a good thing that it was 20 degrees out, so the spindl shaft stayed cold while the heat was on the race...
The outer races looked ok, but I did give it a halfassed attempt to knock them out and replace them. Ran out of time so I left the old ones in.
I think I overtightened the locking nut, although the rotor turned okay before I put the wheel back on. I have a vibration now at 65 mph and a slight 'warbling' noise. I'll pull it apart again this weekend.

OS88

1 - 4 of 4 Posts