Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to the truck world and to be honest, I'm excited about it. Always wanted to have a midsize 4x4 that can take me where I want to go play.

I'm in a 2015 SV 4X4 v6 auto king cab. Everything is stock.

I'm having a hard time understanding (despite having read through some of the sticky threads) what my best option for suspension lift is going to be. I'm not in it as much for the look (who am I kidding) as much as I am for the practicality.

Ideally I want a lifted truck so I can put on some bigger tires for the clearance but also I want performance and comfort while on the trails. I don't see myself "rock crawling" as much as going through shitty/muddy/bumpy logging roads. Yes I want clearance and the sureness that I'll be good when the road gets unpredictable but I'm not going searching for hard 4x4.

Money isn't much of an issue as I plan on investing in quality suspension if I'm going to do this.

What should I be looking at?

Hope this wasn't to rambley, any questions please ask! Any information greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Kloopster

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Search through this site and consider the Advanced Coil Over Kit. PRG Products - Frontier

Look through other members build threads for info and idea's. Read Nomad13s Drop Bracket nightmare thread before going that route.

When you have a good idea of what you want, call Greg at PRG (early in the morning PST) and discuss your rig and what you want to do with it. Don't just disregard 'rock crawling' as you may find yourself in situations where you need to do that to get through a trail. Many of us thought the same way and now attend trail runs and meets like Gone Moab! Do it right the first time and be done with it, saving money in the long run.

Good Luck!

·
Re-Moderator
13,510 Posts
Your best bet for an all purpose type trail rig is probably going to be something like extended travel coilovers with aftermarket control arms up front, new leaf packs or AALs (with appropriate shocks) in the rear, and either 265/75/16 or 285/75/16 tires (minor modifications possibly required to fit the 285s).

Fabtech

Sent from my Z988 using Tapatalk

I completely disagree with this recommendation.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I would get the Nisstec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate kit from Nisstec. I ordered the Calmini 5" kit with Radflo Calmini Coilovers and Prg UCA. After 2 and a half months, multiple unanswered calls with no call back, and no email response from Calmini or PRG, I decided to not waste anymore time. I cancelled those orders and paid a little more for excellent customer service from Nisstec.

The prg ultimate kit and the Nisstec are fairly similar. Both will give you a far more capable truck offroad. I know people have had better luck with those two other companies, but that's what happened to me. Bottom line, I would suggest the nisstec radflo ultimate kit and 33s and you should be good.

Goodluck with your lift!

·
Gone but not forgotten Member
5,729 Posts
It is just my opinion but I would never consider anything from Fabtech nor a few other companies.
PRG,Dirt Kings,Total Chaos,BTF,Icon provide excellent suspensions.
I have run PRG equipment with no problems.
I now run BTF and so do a few others.
No matter which system you choose,go with a "Titan Swap" at least.
Remember lift is a product of a well designed suspension system,not the opposite. One reason I don't like the term "lift kits".
No matter what parts you use or the money you spend,everything needs to complement each other.If not, you are better off leaving it stock.
Of course, a custom system built by a reputable fabricator would offer the best.

Guys if he DONT wanna do rock crawling but wants 6 inches they buy a fabtech

It just lifts the truck but doesn't improve suspension.The op wants a good working system.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
No matter which system you choose,go with a "Titan Swap"
Can you link me to somewhere where I can read about Titan swap? I'm intrigued as to why you would recommend this where others haven't.

·
Premium Member
7,272 Posts
Titan Swap is very involved. Know that before you read into it.

If you want to do all bolt-on + keep confort + cost is no object I vote for Kings + UCAs + AAL -front sway, but I'm biased because that's what I have, and it rides sooooo good LOL

Where did he say 6 inches? LOL

·
5,729 Posts

Why would you want a 6" lift unless you "rock crawl"?
Only other reason I can think of is a dedicated"mudder or a mall crawler.
For anything other than that,it would handle horribly.
My truck is too high.Hopefully after testing,I will be able to lower the truck as much as I can and still maintain performance

Attachments

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'd recommend you check out the Budget Titan swap thread glamisdude started, that seems to be a great and cost effective way to get a much improved suspension at a "reasonable" price.

Really you need to decide on how much you want to spend, for 3-4 grand you can do some awesome stuff that said you can do some really cool stuff for much less to...

I'd also start reading through some of the build threads to see what others have done suspension wise and see what they like and don't like about there set ups. My 2" spacers and aal are about as boring as it gets but it helps me fit my tires... but if your looking for performance there a fail lol

·
Premium Member
7,272 Posts
Good questions to ask yourself (or maybe tell us so we can possible give you a better recommendation): what's the budget? How mechanically inclined are you? Are you willing to do major body mods?

I'm asking because muddy fire road type stuff can be done with the right 265/70 tire and some skids. But again - there's a lot of options, narrow down what you want and what you're willing to do.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Thanks for those who have shared.

To answer your questions, 3-4 grand seems pretty reasonable to get the most out of my vehicle. I bought it for the reason of wanting to go and do whatever I want. I go into the Monashee mountain ranges, Valhalla national park, and want to explore bc. I also will be using this to travel as I travel the province of BC for work. So that's important too. A solid all around tough all purpose rig (is there such a thing?)

I work in the oil patch and make good money, so 3-4 grand all said and done makes sense, numbers wise.

Mechanically inclined, not in terms of automobile, sadly... nor have I the tools at home to complete any work by myself. I'd be looking for someone with the appropriate resources to take care of it.

Practical and tough, 3-4g, professional installation.

I drive all across the province to various remote areas and want to be able to explore the areas and feel secure about it :)

You're all awesome.

·
5,729 Posts
Well if cost is no object, you can build something like my friend's Titan.I am sure they can do something similar with a Frontier.
He recently sold his 30 grand of never used King Shocks.I guess 5 tube by/pass shocks were not good enough.He replaced them with 6 tube.
Just being sarcastic.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,272 Posts
Well if cost is no object, you can build something like my friend's Titan.I am sure they can do something similar with a Frontier.
He recently sold his 30 grand of never used King Shocks.I guess 5 tube by/pass shocks were not good enough.He replaced them with 6 tube.
Just being sarcastic.
Well you know... that extra tube.

Thanks for those who have shared.

To answer your questions, 3-4 grand seems pretty reasonable to get the most out of my vehicle. I bought it for the reason of wanting to go and do whatever I want. I go into the Monashee mountain ranges, Valhalla national park, and want to explore bc. I also will be using this to travel as I travel the province of BC for work. So that's important too. A solid all around tough all purpose rig (is there such a thing?)

I work in the oil patch and make good money, so 3-4 grand all said and done makes sense, numbers wise.

Mechanically inclined, not in terms of automobile, sadly... nor have I the tools at home to complete any work by myself. I'd be looking for someone with the appropriate resources to take care of it.

Practical and tough, 3-4g, professional installation.

I drive all across the province to various remote areas and want to be able to explore the areas and feel secure about it :)

You're all awesome.
NEW LIST
Extended travel front coilovers
Front aftermarket Upper Control Arms (UCAs)
Extended travel rear shocks
Extended brake lines
Full rear leaf pack
Full chassis armor (skids, sliders)
A/T or M/T tires
Maybe front/rear aftermarket steel bumper for more tire clearance if you go 285+

...and all of the above are still bolt-ons. yes I'm awesome sometimes.
::wink::

·
5,729 Posts
PRG upper control arms(Titan),extended axles,tie rods,extended brake lines all available from PRG.Nissan Titan lower control arms, cam bolts should fall within your budget.
I also would recommend PRG/Deaver race pack but might be beyond your budget.
Not sure about installation cost.
Forgot about shocks. If you can by re- valveable ones and preferably ones with reservoirs.

·
5,729 Posts
You might find the same equipment used at considerable savings. I am selling all the PRG parts I mentioned and OEM LCA( minus cam bolts(spoken for)at about half price I paid.
Remember Titan swap increases your travel.Stock length arms whether stock or after market does not.

·
Re-Moderator
13,510 Posts
NEW LIST
Extended brake lines
Full rear leaf pack
A/T or M/T tires
Maybe front/rear aftermarket steel bumper for more tire clearance if you go 285+

^For the truck in question, I like this list a heck of a lot.

My truck is Titan swapped but it's probably overkill for most people (and it has its disadvantages).

·
Registered
549 Posts
I'm assuming your 3-4k is Canadian.... ordering out of the states right now is pricey.

*SALE* NissTec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits

On a side note you should check out the Alberta Xterra Enthusiast club (there nice to frontier guys to) on face book if you haven't. There's a fellow on there that makes custom bumpers and other stuff probably that might be an easier option than ordering out of the states.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
NEW LIST
Extended brake lines
Full rear leaf pack
A/T or M/T tires

...and all of the above are still bolt-ons. yes I'm awesome sometimes.
::wink::
As this was seconded from someone, have you any recommendations for a supplier?! Also I value your opinion, not saying I don't value others cause that isn't the case, but because I looked through your truck build thread and it's beautiful.

I'm assuming your 3-4k is Canadian.... ordering out of the states right now is pricey.

*SALE* NissTec Radflo Extended Travel Ultimate Kit - Nisstec Lifts: Nissan Lift Kits: XTerra Lift Kits, Frontier Lift Kits, Titan Lift Kits, Nissan Truck Lift Kits

On a side note you should check out the Alberta Xterra Enthusiast club (there nice to frontier guys to) on face book if you haven't. There's a fellow on there that makes custom bumpers and other stuff probably that might be an easier option than ordering out of the states.

Thanks for the tip, I will have a look!

1 - 20 of 59 Posts