Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Great video. I've never paid much attention to newer Frontiers. The forward-facing back seats are nice and I wouldn't mind having a those back clamshell doors. Loading groceries would be a lot easier w/o having to slide the seat forward.

Highway mileage is speed related for my truck. At 60mph on the highway I can top 28mpg; 70 drops it to 26 and 80 drops it to 24. In the summer around town I get 24 but it will drop to less than 20 for city driving in very cold weather. Yeah, it's a four cylinder but it's still a heavy vehicle.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
MPG for my truck is rarely above 21. I live in a fairly flat area and travel roads were cruising at around 55 - 60 mph is the norm. Mine is pretty similar to the test truck, except for mine being an automatic. I was living in a city at the time of purchase so I skipped on getting the 5-speed at the time. Wish I'd known we'd be moving back to the country at the time, woulda went with the standard instead.

One other thing I can agree with in the review, the seat could stand to go back a couple more inches. At 6'0" I am ever so slightly cramped.

The rear seats were pretty useless for me. I wound up taking them out and creating a bit more storage space. It wasn't much but it made a surprising difference.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have had an 06 for a year now that replaced my 95. It was just what I were looking for in my needs. A pretty basic truck with out too many add ons. I like the video, it did seem to be an honest interpretation of this basic model. It took me about a week or two to get used to the turning radius as well. That is really my only complaint.

These last two trucks and the two nissan cars we own, have met our expectations. I wouldn't call us nissan flag wavers, but each time we've shopped for a new...er replacement vehicle, they seem to rise to the choice. Can't knock that.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My '98 Frontier KC 5-speed has less than 81K on the clock and runs like new. It gets at least 28 mpg on the hiway. And it has cloth inserts in the door panels etc, unlike the new King Cabs with their all-plastic interior. A real turn-off.

I can't justify spending 20K+ on a rig that's heavier, slower, and gets worse mpg.

I've had the '98 for 11 years, looks like it'll be around for at least another 20 !

·
Registered
100 Posts
Like Mine

Thanks! That was a good review. Mine is a '13 that's almost identical to their test truck. I get 22 mpg in winter and 26 mpg in summer (if the air filter is reasonably clean) driving on town and country roads. It's got plenty of power for normal driving and handles a full load of firewood very well. The compact size is a big plus as well. When you're maneuvering among trees, there are a lot of places a full-sized pickup just won't fit...plus who wants to bang up a truck they paid nearly $40K for?

Because of its low sides and load height, it's much more useful as a work truck than my '11 4WD F150. I can stand next to the truck and reach almost anything in the bed.

Parked next to a new 2WD Colorado this week. It stood so high it would be a real PITA to reach over the side to get something; you'd have to climb in the bed to reach things near the front.

This is snow country, so I get to drive in it about 5 months of the year. With snow tires and about 150 lbs of tube sand in the back, I'm able to go anywhere on-road. Last winter the F150 never got used at all. Only time I got in trouble with the Frontier was when the snow was about 15" deep in the driveway. Even then, it made it 50 ft. pushing snow with the front bumper before it bogged down. It was enough to get me off the state road, so I was happy.

The basic simplicity of this Frontier really appeals to me. There's not much to go wrong and it's always ready to work. Also like the 5-speed stick; something you can't get on American pickups anymore.

If something happened to this one, I would buy another in a minute. Who cares if the design is dated? I remember the old Chevy, Ford and Dodge trucks from the '50s and '60s. They were more useful for actual work than most of the current crop of pickups.

The complaint about turning radius is true, however. I think the F150 will turn tighter. :frown:

·
Premium Member
6,074 Posts
With Frontier's bed/tailgate being lower makes for using shorter ramps for loading/unloading one's ''cargo' when comparing to competitions' tailgate height.

·
Registered
17 Posts
hey there, I have a 06 4 cylinder 2.5 with a 5sp i have put very little money into this truck 1 motor mt 1 belt 1 tensioner 2 clutches 100000 miles on each im hard on them this truck has been amazing so far i have my gripes though! gas milage really does suck !!! and the power not great have to stand on it all the time to make it go anywhere. had a 98 frontier also (a true mini truck) got 28 mpg with 200000 on the clock both great trucks will be looking for a 6cyl w/6spd for my next one but i here they dropped that from there line up.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Just bought an 06 XE King Cab (extra cab / extended cab), 2.5 4cyl, 5 speed manual. Very basic truck. Just A/C, Carpet, Cruise, Stereo (6 speakers though), Tilt, Sliding Rear Window, Center Console, Floor Mats. So, it's basic, but it has enough features to be useful. A car seat can even be installed on the jump seat behind the passenger. I'll probably splurge for mud flaps and fog lights. Very pleased with the truck.

It's not big, but there is sufficient room in the truck... much better than the really small rangers, datsuns, B2000 I have had in the past. But it's much more pleasant to drive than the full size F350s, F150s I've had in the pasts too. I fully understand why Nissan has held on to this 2nd Gen truck for the USA market for so long. I only have 77K miles on mine, so it will be a while before I'm in the market again. I hope the 3rd Gen truck doesn't grow in size.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts