Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Replacing the stock (non-RF) setup with the following:

HU: Kenwood DPX-301 (double-din, 50watt x 4)
Front speakers: MB Quart DSE-216 Component (400w+tweeters+crossovers)
Rear speakers: Polk db650 (180w)
Sub: Bazooka BTA6200 6.5" 200w self powered sub (tube)

Should all be delivered over the next week. My neighbor used to install, so he will be helping me (more likely I will be helping him!).

Anything should be better than the stock system, but let me know what you think!

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No amp for the speakers right now. Want to see how well the HU does on its own.

I bought everything except the Polks from Audiosavings on ebay. They're right there in NY, but they are off today and tomorrow for Passover.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
With my luck, they probably will. If so, I will have to add an amp later. Even though I think I got a great deal ($600.00 including shipping for everything), an amp will have to wait!

·
Registered
200 Posts
Regarding the MBs, I think the HU will power them just fine, although I'll be honest--I've never listened to the Discus line. I compared the R P and Q lines and thought that with just an after-market HU, R > P > Q in terms of clarity and even tone. But when an amp was thrown in the mix the order was reversed. To my ear, I couldn't quite tell the difference between the Q/amp and R/no amp. And the mid-bass was surprisingly strong in both cases, even compared to more efficient/lighter weight speakers from other manufacturers.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That's interesting. Thanks for the reply. I will let you know what I think once everything is installed. Probably be a couple of weeks for delivery and installation.

·
Registered
217 Posts
recon7 said:
That's interesting. Thanks for the reply. I will let you know what I think once everything is installed. Probably be a couple of weeks for delivery and installation.
bro have you install it yet?
i order the same HU.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All the stuff is sitting in my basement waiting to be installed! I've got a neighbor that used to install, so I'm waiting for him to come home (not so patiently!). Hopefully, I will have a report tomorrow.

Kevin

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well,

Everything is finally installed. It sounds great! The performance over the stock system is phenomenal! The addition of the Bazooka is really nice. It does a surprisingly good job. It's the 6.5" 200w one, and it fits very nicely under the rear seat on the passenger side. I've got it pointed toward the door, with all of the wiring coming up the middle.

The Polks do a great job all by themselves in the rear. The really rock! The MB Quarts do a good job as well, but their strong point is the tweeters. Holy [email protected], what a difference those make. It's incredible the difference all of this makes.

I made about 4 trips to Radio Shack, a stereo place, and the Home Depot to complete the installation. The front stock speakers are not 6.5" but rather 8" x 6" or so. We had to cut a custom bracket out of project board (the thinnest) from the Home Depot. It was a pain, but worth it.

The HU is pretty nice for the "basic" version from Kenwood. It's got pretty good controls for the audio controls.

Like my neighbor told me as he left this afternoon, "you'll have an amp in there within two months." While the system sounds sooo good, the speakers aren't working at their best capacity. An amp addition may be in the future.

I also got a stereo headphone adapter from Radio Shack ($7.99). It's a headphone adapter on one end to two RCA plugs on the other. The RCAs plug in to the back of the Kenwood and the headphone end comes out under the dash. I can now plug 'n' play my mp3 player! The sound is much better than the FM modulator I was using.

Let me know if you need advice. There's a lot of lessons learned here, but not enough space!

Kevin

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
So the bazooka tube fits under the rear seat? Pics please!!!! I wouldnt mind going that direction. I dont really want a 10, so this might be the ticket for easy removal and decent sound.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I'll get pics later, maybe tomorrow. It was 9:00 p.m. local when we finished up, so I was tired and ready for dinner! Check back soon.

Kevin

·
Registered
217 Posts
yes please post pics "Bazooka BTA6200 6.5" 200w self powered sub (tube)" might go this way as well. and adding an amp maybe 4ch would make a big difference.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
368 Posts
recon7 said:
Like my neighbor told me as he left this afternoon, "you'll have an amp in there within two months." While the system sounds sooo good, the speakers aren't working at their best capacity. An amp addition may be in the future.
I would highly recommend it... A good 4 channel amp will be more effective than anything else. Most HU's internal AMPS are putting out less than 20W/channel RMS (which is what matters, not PEAK as they list on the box).

I can't rave enough about my Diamond Audio D6 600.4 4 channel, but that might be out of your price range.

·
Registered
217 Posts
ya your right the Kenwood DPX301 HU only pulll out 22 watts RMS. I plan to amp my with Crunch PZi 100.4. ch4 amp

RMS @ 4-Ohms: 100W x 4-Ch
# RMS @ 2-Ohms: 150W x 4-Ch
# RMS @ 4-Ohms: 300W x 2-Ch
I think they sell for ~$120 at fryz

·
Registered
368 Posts
mmendezm3power said:
ya your right the Kenwood DPX301 HU only pulll out 22 watts RMS. I plan to amp my with Crunch PZi 100.4. ch4 amp

Um... what's the point of going from 22W RMS to 25W RMS?? I'd like for something in the 50W /Channel RMS range... I have only ever used JL Audio and Diamond Audio Amps, so don't know anything about Crunch.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Binford said:
mmendezm3power said:

Um... what's the point of going from 22W RMS to 25W RMS?? I'd like for something in the 50W /Channel RMS range... I have only ever used JL Audio and Diamond Audio Amps, so don't know anything about Crunch.
where did you get 25w RMS from?

·
Registered
217 Posts
so when it states "RMS @ 4-Ohms: 100W x 4-Ch " this mean 25W per ch??? thats suck! is this true? :oops: What i want is 100w per ch @4ohms! then it should read like this?

RMS @ 4-Ohms: 400W x 4-Ch?

·
Registered
368 Posts
mmendezm3power said:
so when it states "RMS @ 4-Ohms: 100W x 4-Ch " this mean 25W per ch??? thats suck! is this true? :oops: What i want is 100w per ch @4ohms! then it should read like this?

RMS @ 4-Ohms: 400W x 4-Ch?
Yes, exactly. I find it hard to believe any $120 amp would put out 100W/channel at 4ohm. ANd if it did I do not thinkit owuld sound very good. My Diamond Audio puts out 75W/channel @ 4ohms.. It's around $800 retail pricing (I got off ebay much cheaper).

The AMP has more to do with the sound quality reproduction than any other single components... Even the speakers... A good AMP will make mediocre speakers sound better, the inverse is not true.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts