Nissan Frontier Forum banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
My '05 has 134k miles and no whine. Will replacing the tensioner through the small access window suffice for as a preventative measure or does the entire timing system need replaced? I'm willing to replace just the tensioner but I dont want to pull off the entire front end and replace everything.

Or should I just leave it alone?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Does anyone have a link to how his "timing chain whine" sounds? I hear all kinds of noises in the 4 vehicles we own and maintain and it's tough to keep track!

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
My '05 has 134k miles and no whine. Will replacing the tensioner through the small access window suffice for as a preventative measure or does the entire timing system need replaced? I'm willing to replace just the tensioner but I dont want to pull off the entire front end and replace everything.

Or should I just leave it alone?
The tensioner you're referring to is the primary chain tensioner. The issues are with the upper timing chains and the upper tensioners. It's not really the tensioners that are the problem, but the chains. Some of the upper chains had links that were stamped with worn tooling, which created sharp edges that cut into the plastic tensioner faces. So, the repair is to replace the upper timing chains and tensioner faces, which means the front cover has to be removed.

·
Registered
380 Posts
The tensioner you're referring to is the primary chain tensioner. The issues are with the upper timing chains and the upper tensioners. It's not really the tensioners that are the problem, but the chains. Some of the upper chains had links that were stamped with worn tooling, which created sharp edges that cut into the plastic tensioner faces. So, the repair is to replace the upper timing chains and tensioner faces, which means the front cover has to be removed.
Thanks for the clarification. I'll pass on that repair. Lol. I watched Ry the Car Guy video last night in which he tackled the repair. It looked like a royal PITA. I think at one point he was 16 hours into the repair and still not close to finished. Hopefully the chains in my '05 were from fresh tooling and havent done to much damage to the secondary tensioners. I dont seem to have any whining or clanking noises. I'll let the sleeping giant lie.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts