Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
cliff notes version......

i work in a law firm. i am the only male in my department among about 25 women. why complain?....some would say. but herein lies the problem

the women are consistently allowed to have certain "privileges" which i am precluded from enjoying. also, for the past 2 years i have shared my office space with a mid 40s, extremely devout born again Christian.

this woman is constantly preaching, attempting to convert me, etc. after repeated requests to maintain her spiritual thought to herself, she constantly does the opposite. under our company guidelines, this qualifies as harassment.

so i report it to HR. They talk to her, make light of my concern, etc. But the request was for a new office/officemate, to remove myself from the situation. i was told i was not going to be moved, citing no available office space. HR further stated this will resolve on its own. this was after i offered 3 different vacant work spaces.

so what to do, i have been gathering weapons and ammo on gender discrimination for some time. but uf you were me, would you go the litigation route.

all opinions welcome, please keep flaming to a minimum

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
thats gotta be tough
Can they wear ear rings and you cant?
Its a tough call if and when you complain do you find the peoples attitude change.
At frito lay we all have to be DOT Certified but we have this 1 female who cant be because of her driving record and should not even be employed because she cant perform every job that may come up she gets "special treatment" I have asked why shes even there and always get the run around.Boot her *** and get someone who can be Certified.Good luck in whatever you choose to do

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
If you go the litigation route, you'll likely devote a lot of time to produce the case and alienate everyone in your office in the process. Your HR department is slack and I'd call it harassment too, but I wouldn't have the stomach for a suit.

It's every Christian's commission to spread the word, but she should take your words seriously and set an example of proper behavior. My wife and I are Christian, but it took us both 40+ years to see the Christian faith in its true light. She should realize that faith, like a mustard seed, starts small and needs time to blossom.

Good luck to you and your situation.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
start playing death metal, at a reasonable level of course

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
Start listening to Richard Dawkins lectures.
Seriously though my Aunt had a Boss who was really picking on her. She complained to the proper people...took several years to resolve. She almost lost her job once or twice. But in the end she came out on top cause she stuck to her guns and stayed calm. Keep in mind this woman(My Aunt)was in this job for several decades. I am unsure of your history.

·
Premium Member
13,985 Posts
Ouch - working around that many women can't be easy. One week of the month must be hell for you lol.

Talk to other people around the office and see if she is pressing it on others as well. I know there is a woman I work with who is very Christian. I was setting up a new user in a vacant desk in her area and there was a "BOO" sign from Halloween just sitting there. So I asked her if she wanted it and said she doesn't celebrate the Devil :wtf: So I told her I would keep it until next Halloween and decorate my desk with it :) This is the same woman who frowned upon me not getting married in a church.

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
Don't get too shitty with them. Otherwise you might as well find a new place to work cause it would make it very weird. Keep pushing it as far as you can. I agree with some of the above posts though, play her game. Figure out what pisses her off and run with it :). lol.

·
Registered
16 Posts
She should realize that faith, like a mustard seed, starts small and needs time to blossom.
Or, like any seed, in unsuitable soil or climate it might not sprout at all.

Honestly I don't think you've given us enough information to say whether or not you have some sort of suit for gender discrimination. That's a pretty broad charge, and you'd need to be able to lay out exactly what all those privileges are that you do not get. Without knowing that, advice on what to do is just going to be based on speculation.

The case of the born-again lady has nothing to do with gender that I can see so you have to look at it differently. Is she still trying to preach to you even after HR spoke to her about it? They don't have to move her or you somewhere else in the office, but they do have to resolve the problem in some way to keep you from being uncomfortable. To say that it will resolve itself is not an acceptable answer in my mind, it's their responsibility to make sure this stops.

I think it would be a very bad idea to fan the flames by going out of your way to make the Christian lady mad, that will just give her ammunition to use against you. Retaliation is not the answer here. Walk the high road, and hold your HR department to task. You work in a law firm fer chrissake, they can't be that oblivious to things like this.

·
Registered
376 Posts
You must provide a track record over a few months. Remember, it must be tracked. What you are experiencing is a "hostile work environment." Check this out to see if you have a valid libal suit. If this matches what you are experiencing you have a claim. Especially, if your company has the information and did not act upon it then you are the "victim."
Hostile work environment - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Or, like any seed, in unsuitable soil or climate it might not sprout at all.

Honestly I don't think you've given us enough information to say whether or not you have some sort of suit for gender discrimination. That's a pretty broad charge, and you'd need to be able to lay out exactly what all those privileges are that you do not get. Without knowing that, advice on what to do is just going to be based on speculation.
to name a few, i am penalized for taking a longer lunch, none of the women are. we have the option to work from home, but i am limited to one day per month. there are women that work from home at least once a week.

an important fact i left out, somewhat unrelated is the reason. my manager has administrative rights to our ADP timeclock. She takes it upon herself to change my punches to read exactly 7 hours. 35 hours is our cutoff for overtime. I almost never work a 7 hour day. They habitually erase approximately 2.5 hours a week of overtime for the past 1.5 years since they instituted the new timeclock system. what would be the purpose of the time clock if they will just change it to read how they want, and avoid paying me overtime?

If you go the litigation route, you'll likely devote a lot of time to produce the case and alienate everyone in your office in the process. Your HR department is slack and I'd call it harassment too, but I wouldn't have the stomach for a suit.

It's every Christian's commission to spread the word, but she should take your words seriously and set an example of proper behavior. My wife and I are Christian, but it took us both 40+ years to see the Christian faith in its true light. She should realize that faith, like a mustard seed, starts small and needs time to blossom.

Good luck to you and your situation.
i am not against the christianity, i am christain myself. but not born again, therefore do wish to be converted. and i have expressed that many times.

but there is a time and place for religion....the workplace is not it

·
Registered
143 Posts
Im no lawyer nor do I pretend to be one, and you state that you work in a law firm so Im sure your adept in law. Anyways isn't changing time clock punches and not paying OT when your suppose to against the law? I know I read countless of times in the paper of business in NY not paying OT when they are suppose to and lose multi million dollar lawsuits bc of it. They only way i found out to make changes in company is to hurt em where it hurts and thats the Bottom Line.

And at this time I would also update my resume and start handing it in at other places. See if you can find a better place to your liking. But not quit till you find one.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ouch - working around that many women can't be easy. One week of the month must be hell for you lol.

Talk to other people around the office and see if she is pressing it on others as well. I know there is a woman I work with who is very Christian. I was setting up a new user in a vacant desk in her area and there was a "BOO" sign from Halloween just sitting there. So I asked her if she wanted it and said she doesn't celebrate the Devil :wtf: So I told her I would keep it until next Halloween and decorate my desk with it :) This is the same woman who frowned upon me not getting married in a church.
it def sux.....i actually hate it. and my boss is a woman too. whats interesting is the HR director told me they are not in the buisness of moving people because they can get along. this is more than a situation of not getting along.

meanwhile, they habitually relocate secretaries based on personality conflict. one woman has been with the firm for 14 months, this past friday she was just moved to her 3rd different workstation. WTF?

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
You have a plethora of issues. If you file suit, expect to lose your job or be forced to move on. But you must gather all the evidence before leaving. Your case is fairly strong because you have already taken steps to alert management. Your situation has not changed so the intervention was ineffective. A lawyer can couch you on what evidence to get.

If you elect to fight back, try Chinese opera. The kind that sounds like cats being scalded. A few days of this and your roommate will move.

As for the time clock. It sounds like they're breaking the labor laws and not paying OT. But many people work overtime without OT. Let this go.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
The time clock thing should be a big issue for you. Do you know any previous employees? Reason I ask is if it happened to them, you could have them fight the fight on time clocks for you.

An ex employee where I worked once tried to claim to wage and means that he wasn't paid OT. They came in and took the companies books, went through them and then made the company pay any OT that was unpaid. Cool part was he didn't get squat, while I received $200 and still had the job.

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Im no lawyer nor do I pretend to be one, and you state that you work in a law firm so Im sure your adept in law. Anyways isn't changing time clock punches and not paying OT when your suppose to against the law? I know I read countless of times in the paper of business in NY not paying OT when they are suppose to and lose multi million dollar lawsuits bc of it. They only way i found out to make changes in company is to hurt em where it hurts and thats the Bottom Line.

And at this time I would also update my resume and start handing it in at other places. See if you can find a better place to your liking. But not quit till you find one.
yeah man.....im there. resumes are out. but in this job market, i have a feeling finding a quality replacement position will take a while

·
Registered
210 Posts
You need to start sleeping around! Whore yourself out! It works for women in a male dominated work place. I've seen it work in my company for sure!

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
have you told her personally that you are not interested, and her persistant efforts to 'save' you are actually detering you from wanting to give her the time of day?

·
Registered
826 Posts
All I would say to shut the annoying Cristian broad up would be...Do you believe in Santa Clause?....She will probably say no that's ridiculous, that's when you say, and believing a talking snake that lived in a tree convinced someone to eat an apple is not? that shuts them up

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
I can't offer up much more than what some of these good people have told you.

I just wanted to take this moment to say you have made me look around my office and be grateful that I work with a great bunch of people.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts