Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have a 98 4cyl 2wd 5spd and i want to improve the height and look of the truck but i dont know what size tires to get or what my truck can handle. Its bone stock and when going up long hills i feel the sluggishness so im afraid if i put 33s on that hoe they will be too heavy. Does anyone know of a set of tire that will increase height and give it a meaner stance without sacrificing drivability? Or does anyone know of engine mods that will give my little 4banger a bit more cojones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Premium Member
7,135 Posts
Taller tires will dog your 2.4 liter 4-banger down. If going w/ taller tires then regearing the rear diff to an even shorter ring/pinion is hopefully/ideally an option. Though, not sure what gears (if any) are available.

·
Registered
6,589 Posts
So i have a 98 4cyl 2wd 5spd and i want to improve the height and look of the truck but i dont know what size tires to get or what my truck can handle. Its bone stock and when going up long hills i feel the sluggishness so im afraid if i put 33s on that hoe they will be too heavy. Does anyone know of a set of tire that will increase height and give it a meaner stance without sacrificing drivability? Or does anyone know of engine mods that will give my little 4banger a bit more cojones?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
What is your stock size and what size tire are you running right now.
The 2wd came with the 195/75/14, about 25.5" in diameter. You are limited to the 14" rims. Biggest you can go is either a 205/75/14 at 26.1" or a 215/70/14, 25.9". Neither will effect your performance too much.

THe SE came with 215/65/15 which is about 26" in diameter. The sky is the limit on what size tire you can run on a 15" rim. I would personally bump the aspect ratio one up to make for a taller tire and call it good: 215/70/15, 26.9. 225/70/15 would be the next size up at 27.4, that would be a big bump. I would not go anything bigger.

You might find that someone already put bigger tires on your truck. That is why it feels like a dog. Seeing that stock is about 26, if you put 33s you'll have a heck of a time taking off from a dead stop never mind any hills.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts