Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all- newbie here; current ride is '06 kingcab 4x4 w/ 265-70-16 BFG oems that probably need replacing. (I bought this truck used and I don't think the previous owner ever rotated his tires- currently has 27,000 miles) I like the current smooth, noiseless ride, but I want to build a slide-in truck camper (800 lbs. max- which is why I'm building one instead of buying one) and know I need a stiffer sidewall tire for travelling with that much weight- Can I get a tire that affords me good gas mileage on the hwy while still handling well on dirt roads, field grass and in some snow (without the camper)? I live in Vermont and need to negotiate the winter before I leave in Feb. to travel the country for 6 weeks (mostly highway miles). Your help is appreciated-

·
Registered
902 Posts
Buy some E range tires, I would stick with a cooper a/t or a bfg a/t. Both have tires in the E range and have little tire noise.

Overall I think you want something rated for a higher PSI so you don't have the squished tire look.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Welcome aboard.

The truck comes with pmetric tires on it and is capable of handling 800# in the bed with said tires.

Going to LT tires may not get you the payload increase you think it will. It will however, increase the tire pressure and give you a rougher rider if you are inflating them properly.

I am sure there are those here who will disagree with me, should it come to that, I can (have in other posts) back what I say.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
ffips is right with what he says. Biggest thing to do is take a look at the tires you have and see what their payload rating is. It should say somewhere on the sidewall. Staying with the standard 4ply tire(pmetric) should work out just fine. I personally am running a D load range(8 ply) which is a huge overkill for the truck, but thats what i got stick with because of the tires i wanted.

Take a look at the Toyo Open country H/t line of tires. We sell them at the shop i work at and hear a lot of great things about them as far as snow, mild off road, and highway. Plus properly rotated and air pressure kept in them they can last a long time. Their overall construction would also help with what you are looking for in the tires.

·
1,672 Posts
Hi all- newbie here; current ride is '06 kingcab 4x4 w/ 265-70-16 BFG oems that probably need replacing. (I bought this truck used and I don't think the previous owner ever rotated his tires- currently has 27,000 miles) I like the current smooth, noiseless ride, but I want to build a slide-in truck camper (800 lbs. max- which is why I'm building one instead of buying one) and know I need a stiffer sidewall tire for travelling with that much weight- Can I get a tire that affords me good gas mileage on the hwy while still handling well on dirt roads, field grass and in some snow (without the camper)? I live in Vermont and need to negotiate the winter before I leave in Feb. to travel the country for 6 weeks (mostly highway miles). Your help is appreciated-
LT265/75 R16 load range "D" or "E":noworries: These (and all light trucks) come with Pasenger soccer mom tires which work well until you haul a load or go off road. Then you're changing tires on the side of the road. ( any more than about 40 PSI and you'll set off the tire sensor alarm. I run AT "E"s @ 40 PSI out here in the desert)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.