Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up an 03 V6 3.3 supercharged crew cab. Amongst other issues i had to drop the tank and need to replace the fuel pump. Been to multiple different part stores including Napa and they all tell me its something they cant get. So i go online and it gets more confusing from there. Some sites strongly state in their fitment notations that the same pump im seeing on other sites that say will work in my truck wont work. Yet they dont offer a pump specifically for the supercharged model. Ive also seen some sites showing where everything from the 2.4L to the 3.4L fuel pump will fit but i know that cant be right. Anyone have some real experience with this or can tell me whats up with the pump?o_O

·
Super Moderator
3,507 Posts
Nissan part catalog shows three fuel pump P/N's for the 2003 Frontier, one of which is for the KA24DE, so, not applicable. The other fuel pumps are P/N 17042-4S400 (still available) and 17042-5S700 (discontinued). Both were used in VG33E and VG33ER applications, both used in CC short and long bed applications and both used in MT and AT transmission applications. Also, both were used in 2WD and 4WD applications, so I'm not sure what the difference was, other than possibly made by different manufacturers? Who knows? I wouldn't see the need for different pumps because both NA and SC engines ran at the same fuel pressure and I don't think fuel volume would be much different between the two that would matter? Looking at Denso # 9510007 fuel pump, it lists both the -4S400 and the -5S700 fuel pump, so it should work in your '03 Frontier SC/CC. I believe you have to purchase the fuel sender "O" seal, separately, if I'm not mistaken, and I'm not sure if a new strainer comes with the Denso pump?

Now, you should be aware that Nissan had a problem with fuel pumps not working in these trucks (and Xterras) not because of faulty fuel pumps, but because of corrosion in the fuel pump circuit within the fuel sending unit. Many fuel pumps have been replaced because mechanics found power to the top of the fuel sending unit and assumed the fuel pump was bad. They would replace the pump only to find out it still didn't work; it was actually the fuel sending unit that needed to be replaced! You have to check for a good circuit through the fuel sending unit. These sending units were part of a recall campaign that is still going on. My suggestion would be to go to the NissanUSA website and use their recall checker to see if there are any open recalls/campaigns on your Frontier. When I got my '03 Frontier SVE about 5-years ago, I discovered the fuel sender recall AND a steering column shaft recall were both still open. I called the dealer, they ordered the parts and installed them, no charge!

·
Registered
459 Posts
2003 Nissan Frontier 3.3L Supercharged

Supplier: Bosch Fuel Pumps
Brand: ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP (NEW)
Part Number: 69613
Part Type: Electric Fuel Pump
Application: Supercharged

Supplier: Delphi
Part Number: FE0387
Comment: Fuel tank contamination is the leading cause of premature fuel pump failure. To reduce risk of contaminating the replacement pump, Delphi recommends cleaning the fuel tank before installing a new pump. Use of fuel tank cleaning kit FC01 is recommended.

Supplier: FVP
Part Number: STR11
Part Type: Fuel Pump Strainer

Supplier: US Motor Works
Brand: ELECTRIC FUEL PUMP KIT
Part Number: USEP8499
Application: SVE, Supercharged, VG33ER Eng.

All of these are catalog options for your SC model.

·
Registered
2004 Nissan Frontier XE KC KA24DE
3,549 Posts
And don't forget to replace the strainer and the o-ring seal.
The o-ring oem part# 17342-01A00. Dorman makes one that may or may not be available at your local parts store.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts