Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2002 XE with a 3.3 liter V6 and was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to what supercharger I should look for or if I should not get one at all.
Thanks!

·
Registered
122 Posts
How much do you plan to spend? I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. Even the stock supercharged trucks are weak on power and just burn more fuel. I have one so I can speak on this.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
How much do you plan to spend? I'm not sure it would be worth the cost. Even the stock supercharged trucks are weak on power and just burn more fuel. I have one so I can speak on this.
Have you tried or considered swapping out the supercharger pulley to a smaller size, like a 2.4? They say it makes a big difference. I was going to do it on mine but with 212,000 miles and being that is already burns some oil, I didn't want to push my luck! I did notice some improvement by replacing the factory air cleaner with a K&N CAI and make sure you always use premium gas. They run like dogs on regular unleaded!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I have a 2002 XE with a 3.3 liter V6 and was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance as to what supercharger I should look for or if I should not get one at all.
Thanks!
Unless you want to run on premium gas all the time and drop your combined gas mileage to around 12-13 MPG, leave it alone!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Have you tried or considered swapping out the supercharger pulley to a smaller size, like a 2.4? They say it makes a big difference. I was going to do it on mine but with 212,000 miles and being that is already burns some oil, I didn't want to push my luck! I did notice some improvement by replacing the factory air cleaner with a K&N CAI and make sure you always use premium gas. They run like dogs on regular unleaded!
I actually have been thinking about the pulley change. Since I mainly drive in town and gas mileage is crap anyway on 32"s (tires, not rims, LOL). I wish the puller tool wasn't more than the cost of the pulley. I would do the quick change kit so I could always put it back stock if needed. Thanks for the advice. I always run ethanol free premium and have a cold air intake, so I'm ok there.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I actually have been thinking about the pulley change. Since I mainly drive in town and gas mileage is crap anyway on 32"s (tires, not rims, LOL). I wish the puller tool wasn't more than the cost of the pulley. I would do the quick change kit so I could always put it back stock if needed. Thanks for the advice. I always run ethanol free premium and have a cold air intake, so I'm ok there.
So I think I saw someone say the supercharger is only 30hp more than the NA engine which didn't sound like much, but I thought for a relatively low HP engine, that might make a decent difference. Are you shattering my dreams and telling me it's still a dog even with the charger?!? Haha not dreams but I have had thoughts about buying a junkyard type SC engine and swapping it out, partly for the experience as I've never been that deep in a vehicle and because the NA V6 is disappointing especially on the low end... IF I did all that I was considering looking at cam swap and pulleys and such since I'd have access to everything but obviously there's limits to the money and time I really want to put into this, and I really don't want to do all that and still feel under-powered.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It probably has way more torque with the supercharger than a non S/C. That said, it used to smoke the stock tires, not the 32"s. I just ordered the 2.4" pulley kit so in a week or so, I'll update how much it helps. Gonna put in a boost gauge too to keep an eye on it. I did see some complete used SC set ups on ebay you could get. Some didn't have the lower intake manifold and I'm not sure if it's the same on both engines, so watch out for that if you buy one.

·
Registered
66 Posts
It probably has way more torque with the supercharger than a non S/C. That said, it used to smoke the stock tires, not the 32"s. I just ordered the 2.4" pulley kit so in a week or so, I'll update how much it helps. Gonna put in a boost gauge too to keep an eye on it. I did see some complete used SC set ups on ebay you could get. Some didn't have the lower intake manifold and I'm not sure if it's the same on both engines, so watch out for that if you buy one.
Yeah I thought about just adding the SC but I think on a thread somewhere on here it was said that the internals of the NA engine aren't really up for it, even though its an easy install otherwise. I don't know a ton about internals and such but it makes sense, so I believed it...
Also going for me is I"m on 30" tires, tho I might go a little bigger at some point. I got new wheels with negative offset so even the 30s rub on occasion in tight maneuvers. Same problem I have on my other truck...I really like the negative offset look, but I might have gone just a touch too far LOL

·
Registered
122 Posts
Yeah I thought about just adding the SC but I think on a thread somewhere on here it was said that the internals of the NA engine aren't really up for it, even though its an easy install otherwise. I don't know a ton about internals and such but it makes sense, so I believed it...
Also going for me is I"m on 30" tires, tho I might go a little bigger at some point. I got new wheels with negative offset so even the 30s rub on occasion in tight maneuvers. Same problem I have on my other truck...I really like the negative offset look, but I might have gone just a touch too far LOL
I had to toss out the front factory mud flaps, then trim the front bumper at the bottom, and trim the back of the fender just a bit to get the tires to stop rubbing. The mud flaps are ridiculous how much they get in the way. It sounds like a lot of hacking but done carefully it's not bad.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had to toss out the front factory mud flaps, then trim the front bumper at the bottom, and trim the back of the fender just a bit to get the tires to stop rubbing. The mud flaps are ridiculous how much they get in the way. It sounds like a lot of hacking but done carefully it's not bad.
I think the mud flaps are all I'm hitting, so it wouldn't be hard to take care of that, but with sticking my tires out there further if I have no mud flap it's gonna throw a lot up the door. Not the worst thing but neither is occasionally backing up to make my turn without rubbing. If I do ever go taller or wider on the tire I'll have to do something for sure.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I think the mud flaps are all I'm hitting, so it wouldn't be hard to take care of that, but with sticking my tires out there further if I have no mud flap it's gonna throw a lot up the door. Not the worst thing but neither is occasionally backing up to make my turn without rubbing. If I do ever go taller or wider on the tire I'll have to do something for sure.
Let's not even talk about all the crap it throws all over the side and mirrors. Unreal. But looks are more important right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts