Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am planning on upgrading the entire stereo system in my 2005 Frontier King Cab 4X4. I am debating on putting components (6.5" speakers with the seperate tweeters) in the front door with the small tweeters in the dash top openings (the stock location near the windshield bottom), OR 6.5" coaxials with 3.5" coaxials in the dash top locations (If they will fit). Anyway, what size speaker will fit in the stock dash top locations? Has anyone used 3.5" speakers on the dash top? I know the small tweets will fit, but I was wondering about the larger 3.5's.

I will probably go with Clif Designs speakers and amps all around. I am also debating between components in the rear OR coaxials. I will be adding a 10" top of the line subwoofer from Clif Designs as well, downfiring in a stealth style enclosure that will look like a center console in between the rear seats. Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
90 Posts
hey mang
im planin my truck right now too, i got 2 10s and im scraping some cash together for a headunit.

as far as speakers, the fronts are component the rears are coaxial like you said.

i think im going to upgrade the rear speakers first with better coaxials , then the fronts with better components but mount the tweeters in a better postion. and then add an amp

id say not to use the stock location with 3 1/2s, bouncing the sound isnt that great...

one thing i thought might be badass is if you mouted the head unit down in the lower spot below the ac controls. and then mount like a 4" speaker as a center channel in the double din spot. you could put a second center speaker in your center console box and have super surround*

*not actually surround, just a lot of speakers placed well

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I am still trying to figure out what size the dash top speaker holes are (I know a small tweeter will fit, I am trying to see how big I can go up on there on the dash top location). Will a 3.5 inch coaxial speaker fit up there? I figure, if a small tweeter sounds good there, then an upgrade from a 1" tweeter to a 3.5" coaxial will only sound better if driven correctly and properly set up crossover-wise. Then I can use a coaxial in the lower front door location. Anyway, what is the biggest speaker that will fit in the dash top location with little or no modifications. Let me know. Thank. -Todd

I like the idea of having a center channel speaker like you suggested 'PhotoPirate', but I am trying to go for a hidden 'stealth' system. Plus, I think the center channel is geared more for people with video/dvd/videogame setups. I am not going with the video stuff (I guess I am old school, but I save the video stuff for home). Cool idea on the center channel location though!

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Mine had a Blaupunkt tweeter there, but I believe different audio packages change that. I'd personally stay w/ a tweeter. the 6.5's will give you everything and more that you'll get from the 3.5's and the tweeters will just make it all sound cleaner and crisper.

·
Registered
183 Posts
What about placing new tweeters in the flat space right above the door handle? I had the panel off the other day replacing my front 6x9s' and noticed that there is a nice flat spot there...

I don;t know if it matters, didn't seem to look like it would, but I've got manual windows and locks...

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can fit 3.5's in the dash, with some slight modifications....i took my small tweeters out and put RF 3.5's in the dash...u need to do some cutting...if u dont plan on putting small tweeters back in there the cutting is fine...but not recommended if u plan on putting the tweeters back in....the 3.5's sound great...and the 6.5's will NOT get all ur highs u want from that lower location, especially with ur leg in the way while driving...i have RF 3.5's in dash, kicker 6 x 9 in front doors, kicker 6.5's in rear doors....2 kicker 8's under back seat....

·
Registered
4,000 Posts
If I wanted to simply replace the tweeters on top of the dash without any cutting or refitting, is there a tweeter model that ould fit? My factory stereo sound is muddled with no high end and perhaps replacing the tweeters would be the best route to better sound? I'm happy with the bass.

Frankly, I rarely turn it up very loud because I enjoy the sound of the 4.0L. :D

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
I've got infiniti tweeters in the dash. I've also got a Kenwood HU. i wouldnt recommend pushing them w/ the factory headunit, because you wont get ner the benefit you should from them. They fit rather nicely though, with very little mod to the tweeter mount and no modification to the truck at all.

·
Registered
372 Posts
The guy at the stereo shop recommended not bouncing the sound off the windshield, so I installed my tweeters like this. Removing the panels and drilling the holes was very easy. You just have to be careful to align the speakers correctly, but it's definitely not hard.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts