Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well, since ive been going to college, ive been needing more space to haul **** back and forth.. so ive been thinking about one of these:

Softopper Model #M72

or one of these:

Softopper Convertible Soft Top Canvas Truck Camper Shell

both look relatively the same but have their differences... looking for opinions....

id really like the one richard used to use on his old frontier... anyone know who that was made by... it looks like the one in the second link?

or i screw the whole topper idea and buy a rack like houdinis old tire carrier set up (before SAS) and put a load warrior on it and use the bin to haul crap...

or say screw those and get some HIDs and bank the money.. although i could always use more carrying space :(

damn decisions....

would my truck look quote "gay" with a topper on it?.. i know richards looked badass

·
Registered
770 Posts
Never been a fan of the shell on a truck. Though something like this you can just pop up and go would be nice and then fold it down and store away when you dont need it. I would just wonder about how weather proof it really is. Someone on here has one, maybe that person could add on insight on the topic? Either way seems like a good idea

·
Registered
354 Posts
U-Haul trailer rentals are really fricken' cheap these days and don't involve altering the looks of your truck at all.

I think ours was under $20 to go 4 hours each way.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i hateeeee the looks of hard tops on trucks... but the canvas seems to look pretty damn good IMO (like a charcoal color)

i would not only be doing it for space but looks too... so itd stay up all the time

if i do houdinis rack.. id have to figure something out with my bed cover... itd need to stay

·
Registered
667 Posts
If you still need your bed cover then i would recommend building a rack with supports that go down to the sliders and the rear bumper so that you can still snap on your bed cover. Sorta like the begging of an exo.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
A guy in Florida was selling one for 200$ last year. I hesitated because it was tan and I have a grey truck, my loss. I paid over 300$ for a tonno, same thing, roll it up if you don't want it on. Should have gotten it, useful as hell for moving and easy to take off when you don't want it. Any way, a soft tonno cover is still useful and doesn't change the look of the truck much, a little less storage and half the price. When ever I have a soft tonno cover I almost never take it off, but when I have a cap/topper/shell I usually wind up taking off and putting it back on over and over.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well i already have a tonno cover (spelling?)

but id sell that because its in GREAT shape

ohh and as for the exo thing, id rather not do the bed... my idea was to exo just some of the cab to protect me thats all i really need

plus what if i need to haul like my quad or something.. then theres no way to remove the cage

·
Registered
3,874 Posts
I think those things are really bad *** man...do it! I want one very bad. I would get black or charcoal IMO. Those things are handy as hell and they just look tough on a wheeler truck... If you find a good line on discounts, please let me know.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
well i already have a tonno cover (spelling?)

but id sell that because its in GREAT shape

ohh and as for the exo thing, id rather not do the bed... my idea was to exo just some of the cab to protect me thats all i really need

plus what if i need to haul like my quad or something.. then theres no way to remove the cage
tonneau/tonno....I think it depends on the company, I've seen both. I like mine because it rolls up and has built in straps to hold it in place. If you want to take it off, all you do is unlock the clamp/lock and store it rolled up. My quad fits with it just being rolled up, so I don't really see any reason to take it off.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bringing this back up, do you think i should do it?

im one click away from getting the softtopper one, help me hahha

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i don't think the soft cover looks bad, i prefer the safari look of the roll up "shell" style covers rather than a hard shell.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
i don't think the soft cover looks bad, i prefer the safari look of the roll up "shell" style covers rather than a hard shell.
Me too, it looks good, I say go for it.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
looks like ill be picking one up on friday :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts