Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope this group is too biased, but my 07SE CC 4x2 was totaled and I have narrowed my new car search down to 2 rides:

2007 Nismo Frontier CC 4x4.

2006 Hummer H3 Luxury.

They have nearly identical miles (28000) and are going for the same money. Basically my decision has come down to the Hummer's full-time AWD and the Nismo's cargo carrying abilities.

Basically, does anyone have a good reason why I should pass on the H3? My off-roading would be light and occasional, but my snow driving around town and on highways to the ski lifts would be everyday or every weekend.

Thanks everyone, in advance.
-Al

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
Get the nismo personally the H3s are over glorified trailblazers the AWD is nice but sucks gas. A friend of mine had an H3 alpha and constantly had it at the dealer for issues. the interiors are the same Crap GM has been putting out for year.

·
Premium Member
12,114 Posts
hummer will have the better drivetrain hands down.
but you will look like a **** driving it.

frontiers are nice, reliable, 4x4 works good. but there isnt much better than an ls based motor in an off road vehicle.

Get the nismo personally the H3s are over glorified trailblazers the AWD is nice but sucks gas. A friend of mine had an H3 alpha and constantly had it at the dealer for issues. the interiors are the same Crap GM has been putting out for year.
not true on the trailblazer. hummers have a lot more off road capabilities.
the trailblazers, can either be awd, or 4wd. and they have an i6 motor. not an ls based 5.3.
unless you get an ss, which would be an ls2, but even then the off road capabilities are horrible. there is no good lift kits, no good travel, and the suspension set up are bogus.

hummers are good all around. you wont do much better than 12 city, and 15 highway. but a hummer is a good move. good off road use, and a very good back round.
the motor is a selling point for me, the ls based motor is one of the best motors ive ever seen. gorgeous power curves, and they run forever. tons of aftermarket for it to.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It would be the I5 engine, not the V8, in the H3. I have never had a 4x4 or AWD vehicle before and my SE was totaled because it spun out in light snow.

How much would I be able to make use of the Nismo's 4hi in city and highway driving to help to this end? Thanks for the responses so far.

-Al

PS, I know what you mean about looking like an *** driving a Hummer, but I don't care how I look in it. I think both have the right "truck look."

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
The I5 engine is supposed to actually get better MPG than the 5.3 V8. Not much of a mileage penalty over the Nismo and I used to get much worse in my GTO (with a LS V8, nonetheless) so that's not a major concern.

"Luxury" just means it has leather, power seats, garage opener, monsoon stereo with sub and 6disc changer. Basically fully loaded.

-Al

Are the H3s not considered particularly reliable?

·
Registered
16,551 Posts
the I5 is the worst motor to come out of GM in a long time.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Hummer Pros:
AWD
Same gas mileage as the frontier (well, 15/20 if you get a manual and 15/19 with the automatic)
Bigger and more SUV than truck really
Better powertrain warranty

Cons:
Everyone will think you're an ***.
Weaker engine (242 hp vs 265 hp and 242 tq vs 300 tq)
Heavier! (4700 lbs vs 4160ish for a frontier)
Having ridden in one, the interior is cheaper feeling even with the leather loadout.
Slower 0-60 in 8.9s vs 7.6ish in a frontier(or faster)

No bias there except for my feelings on the interior. The statistics side with the Frontier in my opinion with the exception of the warranty for the hummer.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Is it the same inline 5 thats in the Colorado and the Canyon? If so I have read that they have head issues.

If it were me I wouldnt even consider a Hummer unless it was the real deal H1, all the others are just, well I wont go there...

Why not look at 1st gen Taco's or 3rd gen 4runners with the E-lockers. Thats probably what I would get.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the opinions and points of view!

I've come to terms with the interiors, fuel consumption, etc. The thing I'm least informed on and my main question is this:

Is the Nismo 4x4 going to be any better for driving in snow than my SE 4x2 was?

If not, I would want to get an AWD vehicle (which would exclude ANY pickup from my considerations, not just the Frontier). If the Nismo would solve my snow driving woes then I know I am getting an otherwise strong competent truck, as I loved mine until it took me into oncoming traffic.

-Al

·
Registered
88 Posts
Do you want a SUV or a truck? The 2 vehicles you are comparing are not in the same class. Pathfinder v H3 is a closer comparison. Tacoma v Frontier is a closer comparison. If you compare apples to apples you will have an easier decision. A Frontier and a H3 are not related in any appreciable way. I will say I didn't even consider a Colorado because of that I5 engine. Colorado v8's were priced out close to full size CC trucks (same silliness with newer Sport Tracs) so my decision was pretty easy.

Also, the 2006 H3 is built off the Colorado if this helps your decision. I really would steer clear of that I5. Ask yourself this..if the h3 had regular appointments (not loaded), would you still be considering it? Don't get burned by the sizzle on the steak.

If you want SUV, start looking at SUVs to compare to the H3....Pathy's, Exploders, 4runner. etc.

I've come to terms with the interiors, fuel consumption, etc. The thing I'm least informed on and my main question is this:

If not, I would want to get an AWD vehicle (which would exclude ANY pickup from my considerations, not just the Frontier). If the Nismo would solve my snow driving woes then I know I am getting an otherwise strong competent truck, as I loved mine until it took me into oncoming traffic.

-Al
A 4x4 will do much better than a 4x2 in snow be it a Chevy, Ford, Nissan, anything. When I say much better I mean MUCH BETTER. 4x4s should be used only as needed....it is not AWD just so you know. 4x4 > AWD in traction and pulling situations.

·
Registered
5,939 Posts
the I5 is the worst motor to come out of GM in a long time.
good thing GM didnt make it then. the I5 is an isuzu motor NOT GM.

-Al
you have to remember that part time 4wd and full time 4wd are NOT the same thing and are NOT interchangeable. unless the roads are completely covered with snow you run the risk of toasting a rear or worse the transfer case in an part time 4wd system. with the full time 4wd the transfer case is designed to allow slip so the roads can be covered with little or even no snow and the system works just fine. if the full time 4wd system comes with a selector that you can go from auto to 4w high and 4w low then its the best of both worlds because you have the slip needed so you dont detonate your transfer case but you have the option to lock the transfer case and provide actual 4wd.

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Hummer division has been sold to a Chinese company. Doesn't GM own or at least own a controling interest in Isuzu? Some more info to help base your decision.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thank you for the very valid points. I know I am comparing vehicles from different "genres" if you will and I can come to terms with the compromises that I would have to make moving from a pickup to an SUV. I guess my main concern is regarding the AWD vs. 4x4 issue, in everyday use.

The Nismo's 4x4 is on demand and not for use on streets or at highway speeds, whereas the Hummer's AWD is always on, and can be locked into 4x4 for off-roading. I don't know what alternatives there are in the midsize SUV segment that offers an AWD system like the H3's at a similar price.

How about this question: Would driving the Nismo in the snow around town and on highways in 2wd be any different from driving my 2wd SE was?

If AWD is what I really need for driving in snow, then perhaps I need to leave the pickup segment altogether.

-Al

·
Registered
96 Posts
Thank you for the very valid points. I know I am comparing vehicles from different "genres" if you will and I can come to terms with the compromises that I would have to make moving from a pickup to an SUV. I guess my main concern is regarding the AWD vs. 4x4 issue, in everyday use.

The Nismo's 4x4 is on demand and not for use on streets or at highway speeds, whereas the Hummer's AWD is always on, and can be locked into 4x4 for off-roading. I don't know what alternatives there are in the midsize SUV segment that offers an AWD system like the H3's at a similar price.

How about this question: Would driving the Nismo in the snow around town and on highways in 2wd be any different from driving my 2wd SE was?

If AWD is what I really need for driving in snow, then perhaps I need to leave the pickup segment altogether.

-Al
I'll try to answer your question here. Short answer, you would want 4wd if you get a serious amount of snow.

AWD systems usually do not have a transfer case which basically means that you cannot lock the 4wd system. In almost every case AWD will always have a bias and will not give you 50/50 traction. A more advanced AWD system does use electronic actuators to vary the slip depending on driving conditions (wheel slippage detected) but again, it is not usually a equal transfer of power to all wheels.

However, a true 4WD is usually a single gear transfer case which locks the front and rear wheels in a drive mode. So, yes you would have to manually switch back and forth etc BUT a true 4WD system is almost ALWAYS better than an AWD system. Yes, 4WD systems are heavier but they are also stronger in most cases.

Also, on many of these SUV type vehicles such as the Murano, Rav4 etc the AWD turns OFF automatically at 25 mph anyways (I am not sure about the hummer h3's though I'd suspect it is the case).

Think of AWD as 4x4 light, and 4WD as the real deal.

Finally, the real difference between vehicles in the snow is weight and tires. Same tires on a hummer vs a frontier and I suspect the Frontier would probably handle better on the snow. I drove many chicago winters and through rural IL in a 2wd vehicle with snow tires or very good all seasons. Ground clearance, momentum and a bag of kitty litter can get you through almost anything. Also, I have a 2wd Frontier so someone correct me here if I am wrong but I believe the 4WD is an on the fly system and the 4High goes to 60 mph and 4LO to 30 mph?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
The Nismo will handle the snow much better than your 4x2 with the 4 wheel drive engaged. That said, you can't leave the 4x4 on in dry road conditions, or you will tear it up. I had a full size GMC conversion van with all wheel drive before I bought the Frontier. It did fine in the snow w/AWD because it weighed as much as a Sherman tank. That said, the AWD system took it's toll on my front suspension components because you can't turn it on or off.
Also my neighbor has an H3 and a Yukon (short not XL). If their family of 4 goes on a trip, they take the Yukon because the H3 has no room in the back. His opinion, not mine.
I'd buy the Frontier, but that's my biased opinion because I will not go back to GM, EVER.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Again, thank you for all the great responses, I knew I would get real world answers from people who are car/truck/off-road enthusiasts and not just biased Nissan owners.

I think I will go with the Nismo, or that's at least my choice of the moment. Here's my logic:

1. I know the Frontier. I had zero complaints about my truck and zero problems with it (until it committed suicide).

2. If I am driving on hardpack or actually snowy highways or streets I will engage 4hi and forge ahead. I never had any problems with simply wet or dry roads before with only rear wheel drive.

3. The Hummer's abilities just don't seem enough to sway me from the proven, generally highly regarded, and familiar experiences I had with my frontier first hand.

4. Finally, something I hadn't taken into consideration before: my insurance would go up with the Hummer.

Thank you to everyone, this is one of the best forums I have ever been a part of, and I've been on some really good ones.

-Al

·
Registered
2020 Toyota 4runner TRDOR
4,593 Posts
the closest I have been to an H3 is the Chevy Colorado.
1. bad gas mileage.
2. lack of power.
3. bad ride.
4. cheap interior.
the H3 may have some refinements over the colorado, but I wouldn't expect much.
The other thing about the H3 to consider, your windows are 1/2 the height of a Frontier.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts