Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

the decal on the inside of my door says 35 psi front and rear for my 09 pro-4x's BFGs.....I have about 2300 miles on the truck and the outer lugs on the front tires are starting to feather.

Rule of thumb is if the tires are wearing on the outside, the tires are " under inflated " / and of course the opposite if the middle is wearing faster, tires are " over inflated"

should I bump them up to 36 or 37 ?? I know it is natural for that area to wear in a certain way because i am turning, BUT if the 1st tire rotation is scheduled for 7500 miles, and i do it ahead of time @ 6000 ( every other oil change ) i'm worried they might be too far gone....

i do not want to have an on going issue with the tires for the next 40K miles....

any suggestions / experiences would be great !

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Im running 35Psi on my 285 Cooper Stt's.

If your tires are feathering already. I would take the truck immediately back to the dealership. So they can replace the tires. Because you shouldnt be experiencing anything of this sort already. I remember back in recent years that BFG was caught up in a scandal of reusing & re-saling bad batches of tires. You more than likely got a set of these.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
If your tires are feathering already. I would take the truck immediately back to the dealership. So they can replace the tires. Because you shouldnt be experiencing anything of this sort already. I remember back in recent years that BFG was caught up in a scandal of reusing & re-saling bad batches of tires. You more than likely got a set of these.
nothing he said indicates he got bad tires, or that his tires are feathering stan. and the dealer isn't going to replace tires. if anything, they are going to tell him he needs an alignment, but his alignment may not even be a problem, its a tire pressure question.

the answer to the question can be found here;
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/tire-pressure-49814/
simply look at your tires from time to time and watch the wear pattern. every other oil change (or an extra 1k miles) isn't going to hurt.

·
Registered
4,266 Posts
35-36 psi is what I try to run at.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
nothing he said indicates he got bad tires, or that his tires are feathering stan. and the dealer isn't going to replace tires. if anything, they are going to tell him he needs an alignment, but his alignment may not even be a problem, its a tire pressure question.

the answer to the question can be found here;
http://www.clubfrontier.org/forums/f15/tire-pressure-49814/
simply look at your tires from time to time and watch the wear pattern. every other oil change (or an extra 1k miles) isn't going to hurt.
Oh but he said...
the decal on the inside of my door says 35 psi front and rear for my 09 pro-4x's BFGs.....I have about 2300 miles on the truck and the outer lugs on the front tires are starting to feather.
Thats why i added the things i did. My bad lol

Your right though about the alignment more than likely being the culprit of this situation.

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
you know what, i missed where he said his tires were starting to feather, i see it now. its an alignment issue.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
its a brand new truck, wtf ??

well i guess i have seen this before, while working for a chrysler / jeep svc dept....

looks like i will have to check the inside edge, an contact the dealer from there.

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
I run 35 psi in my '05 LEKC in the summer and I usually bump it up to 36 or 37 in the winter to avoid the tpms from triggering since we have quite a variation in temperature here in central Oklahoma.

If the truck has an alignment issue this soon I would contact the dealer to see if they would give you a free alignment. It sounds like it was never aligned properly to start with unless you have been jumping curbs, etc.

OkieScot

·
Registered
354 Posts
Yeah, take it back to the dealer, show them the abnormal wear and ask for an alignment. If they want to keep you as a customer, they should align it for free.

As far as psi goes, I generally keep mine at 36 but I've run them at 38 psi for long road trips where I want to squeeze every last MPG out of it.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
all about curb jumping
^fixed
Thats why I'm still running 50psi. in my E-load "utility truck" tires :laugh:

btw. Dealer gives you free alignments till 12k mi.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
thanks guys !

i may try running 36-37 for the next 1000 miles and see how the tires fare....

1 - 17 of 17 Posts