Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just filled my new truck for the first time ( came with a full tank), and calculated my mileage- not very happy- I'm getting 13 MPG and that sucks- Nissan advertises 16/21 and that's bad enough. I hope it gets better as the engine breaks in. What do you get ??

·
Registered
86 Posts
I have a CC 2005 manual and get around 16-18 city/highway and around 22 or more depending all highway. I have 160K miles on it now though. It was 11 years ago, but from what I remember the gas mileage was pretty much the same when new. I fill up at around 300 miles per tank, sometimes it can stretch to 320 miles. These newer other brand trucks do better in that department.

I don't have a lot of complaints on the Frontier, but they should be able to do much better on gas mileage. It not any better, or sometimes worse, than many full size trucks

·
Registered
17 Posts
I filled up this morning, I had 279 miles on this tank. It took 12.6 gallons to fill up. That averages 21.5 MPG. These were pretty much ALL highway miles at 75 mph. My truck is a 2016 SV V-6, automatic. I use the cruise control whenever I can, and try to drive smoothly. The truck has about 6300 miles on it.

My 2007 SE-V-6 wasn't nearly as good, about like yours, when it was new. It got better after break-in, but not a lot better. The older truck seemed to be peppier, too, but that MIGHT be imagination. Hard to say. Changing tires to Wrangler RT/S lowered mileage a bit, but improved traction over the OEM BFG Long Trails, which were crap.

A LOT will depend on your tires and inflation, how you drive, and whether or not you have to use RFG (reformulated) gas. All of these things can mess up your mileage pretty badly. I don't have to use RFG in this new truck and it's not sold here like it was at my previous home town. That helps, as does using, if at all possible, non-ethanol gas.

Give it some time, and keep your foot out of the gas, and it should improve. The quality of the gas is another story, it will depend on where you live and buy gas.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I just filled my new truck for the first time ( came with a full tank), and calculated my mileage- not very happy- I'm getting 13 MPG and that sucks- Nissan advertises 16/21 and that's bad enough. I hope it gets better as the engine breaks in. What do you get ??
Tom you are "looking" at MPG like a person trying to see "a black steer's tookus on a moonless prairie night" by lighting a match, and here's why.

First, I will assume you were not present when the dealer filled the fuel tank. The dealer could get the gauge to read full when the handle on the pump clicks off and deliver the truck to you. This might be with say 18 gallons in the tank (on say a 20 gallon fuel tank). Let's say you then drive it 200 miles and use 12 gallons. That would give you 17 mpg ::smile::. But when you filled it, you pumped the tank full, topped it off. That means you pumped the 12 gallons you used PLUS the two gallons that the tank was short when you picked the truck up. You calculate you MPG as 200/14 gallons and get 14 MPG :frown:.

Second, there is a general rule in stats that the more measurements you take, the more accurate (closeness to the truth) in your statistic. So, statistically you need to take numerous readings (30 or so) before you can say with any accuracy (truth) what the average MPG of your truck is (or any truck). Let's say your next fill-up you drive 55 mph highway and get 24 MPG. Now can you say, "my truck gets 24 MPG"? Well I guess you could, but it wouldn't be representative of the actual fuel mileage, would it? A more accurate reading would be the average of the 13 MPG you had last tank and the 24 MPG of the this tank, which would be 37/2 fill-ups = 18.5 MPG. Closer to the truth, huh? So, as you take these measurements (particularly above 30 samples) you will slowly hone in on the truth, that is, what your truck ACTUALLY gets for average fuel mileage.

Hope this helps, in some way, to alleviate your unhappiness.

·
Registered
257 Posts
I get 14 all city when i drive it like a hot rod. 19.9 to 20.6 on my average commute, which is about 33 miles one way, id say 25 of those miles are at 55-60. the rest 25-45 with lights throughout periodically. 21-23 on hwy only trips at 70-80 mph depending on terrain and traffic.

2012 SV Kingcab 4x4 with the 4.0L and auto w/ 44k miles on the odometer, Stock size at tires, cant remember exact model off the top of my head. Also tuned and have a tonneau cover

·
Premium Member
9,739 Posts
Signup with Fuelly - Track and Compare your MPG to track your mileage.
Your mileage will improve.
With 1000miles on my truck I drove to Florida and back and averaged 20mpg. That's with air on and four people in it. Average speed was 70.

Clint

·
Registered
132 Posts
If your truck is new, give it some time to break in. I found that my 2015 improved after about 6 months.

Typical MPG: About 18-20 mixed, 16-18 if I have a lead foot.
Highway MPG: 22-23 if I stay around the speed limit, 19-21 if I'm above 80.
Towing MPG: About 8-12 depending on the trailer and cargo.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Haven't had mine long, it's a SV CC V-6 2WD and I've been getting just a tick over 20 based on the fill-ups I've done so far.

·
Premium Member
9,739 Posts
Whats your point?
If you do a search there be many things to read and get ideas from.
I'm doing about 18 mpg mixed and not babying it.
Keep up on your tire pressure too.

Clint

·
Registered
394 Posts
I've only really tracked my milage for the past 4 years but over those 4 years I have averaged 17mpg. That's over approx 68000 miles of mixed driving. My truck is an '05 with 266,000 on it.
When gas was $4+ I would really baby the truck and did manage to get 24mpg and over 400 miles to a tank for about 3 months.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If your truck is new, give it some time to break in. I found that my 2015 improved after about 6 months.

Me too.

·
Registered
359 Posts
When I bought my 2005 LE 11 years ago I always got 16-17 mpg around town and I was happy with that. What I didnt realize was that my speedo had been off from the start. It read 3 mph over @70mph. When I bought my first set of tires I switched to all terrain tires and went from 65 profile to 70. This made my speedo accurate for the first time ever. But it was also a reality check and since that time I've averaged around 14.5 mpg ever since. Which really sucks because that's less than many 1/2 tons out there. I get about 18mpg on the interstate.

I really have no clue how people can get 17 mpg city out of this truck. Unless they live in Kansas and practice hyper miling.
Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
819 Posts
Whats your point?
*What's

My point is that you should check if this question has already been asked before starting a new thread.

·
Registered
298 Posts
I have lost about 1.5mpg over the last 5 years. Since 2005, I have averaged 16.8mpg. Now, most times when I fill up it's around 15.8. However I have one HUGE antenna and three small ones in the air, a front grill with driving and fog lamps too. I have 188thousand miles on it now. Mostly highway.

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Me Three :)

·
Registered
132 Posts
I really have no clue how people can get 17 mpg city out of this truck. Unless they live in Kansas and practice hyper miling.
My drive is mostly rural, but I have about 10-12 lights on my 20mile drive, and I often hit speeds North of 90MPH on the open sections. I don't hypermill my truck at all, but 18MPG is easy, maybe there have been some small updates over the last 10 years. 23MPG highway is achievable, but that's if I pin it to 70, empty bed, and keep the cruise control on.

I have lost about 1.5mpg over the last 5 years. Since 2005, I have averaged 16.8mpg. Now, most times when I fill up it's around 15.8. However I have one HUGE antenna and three small ones in the air, a front grill with driving and fog lamps too. I have 188thousand miles on it now. Mostly highway.
A simple tune up could possibly help, air filter, fuel filter, plugs and possibly some fuel injector cleaner.

The loss in MPG is probably mostly due to the increase in ethanol added to gasoline in the last 10 years. E-10 can't produce the same MPG numbers as Ethanol-free. But you'd have to calculate out the payoff.

·
Registered
466 Posts
People are always happy to talk mpg's good or bad it seems. I'm pretty OK with 21 MPG highway Avg on my 2WD CC. That is my max average for highway driving (with one exception a long time ago). The upside is my truck gets 21 mpg with pretty much any load up to about 700 pounds as long as I don't drive like an idiot (much), after that it starts to peter off. I've towed trailers and motorcycles (in the bed and on trailers) and kept that 21 mpg going pretty solid. Tested on 1 trip from Dallas to Los Angeles and on two trips from Dallas to White Plains, NY. Doesn't matter if I have a bed cover on it or not. In fact, the best mileage I ever got was coming back from LA on one tank, with a 400 pound motorcycle and about 100 pounds of tools and spare parts. Instead of coming back on I 10 I elected to take the Northern route and stop by the Grand Canyon and Meteor Crater 3 summers ago and the Fronty must have loved that mountain air because going up all the hills out of Cali it got about 23 mpg. I was pretty surprised to say the least. I was expecting very low double digits.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts
About this Discussion
81 Replies
50 Participants
YEGFrontier
Nissan Frontier Forum
Welcome to our Nissan Frontier Forum! A premier community to share your mods and builds. Chat with like-minded Frontier owners.
Full Forum Listing