Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2wd 06 frontier n i wanted to know wats mods i can make to it so that i can have as much fun with it as if i had a 4wd , i just hate getting stuck smtimes lol , i have installD an injen air intake, new front bilstein struts n a 2.5" rough country leveling kit.... thanks any suggestions will b appreciated

·
Premium Member
1,690 Posts
I would look into some type of all teraine tire or mudd tire and be smart on the line that you take with your truck when going offroad

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
More suspension travel to keep tires planted (Titan swap), mud terrains, and a rear locker. Oh, and learn to drive better. A good driver in a 2wd can out wheel a mediocre driver in a 4wd most any day.

·
Rogue Admin
2007 LE 4x4 Crew Cab Long Box
15,482 Posts
More suspension travel to keep tires planted (Titan swap), mud terrains, and a rear locker. Oh, and learn to drive better. A good driver in a 2wd can out wheel a mediocre driver in a 4wd most any day.
i would agree that a good driver will always get places a bad one can't, but as for 2wd performing beter, I dunno. Perhaps that's cuz I live in the PNW where everything is wet and slimy when wheeling. 2wd vehicles shuttle others to the wheeling spots, then hop in a 4x4.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Search for Titan swap and you'll get all the answers you need, but I"ll summarize it for you. The titan swap is when you swap the front control arms for arms off of a Titan. They bolt straight on, and it gives you more suspension travel. More travel= fewer tires off the ground in un-even terrain, which is what you need in a 2wd. I take mine everywhere my 4wd friends go; I just have to be more careful than they do, and plan ahead a little more.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
how would longer travel in the front of a 2wd and hence more "wheels on the ground" do anything for him? Yes, it will put the FRONT wheels on the ground more, but what is that going to do for him in a 2wd truck? If anything, he needs more travel/flex in the rear to keep the drive wheels on the ground.

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
just an edit to my post: I'm not saying a Titan swap on the front of a 2wd is useless, because it's not. The extra travel of a titan swap front is sweet for whoops and high speed/bumpy off road driving. But on a 2wd it does nothing for crawling, mud, or anything that doesn't take advantage of the long travel.

So...for you titan swap'd 2wd's, please don't take any offense to my post.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
... make to it so that i can have as much fun with it as if i had a 4wd , i just hate getting stuck smtimes lol..
^crawling etc... not gonna happen.
Everything else? go where they go.. but go faster!

Since I started running the Swampers in back I rarely even use the locker.

·
Premium Member
4,635 Posts
Having more travel in the front helps keep the rear tires planted. Where some stock width Frontiers will lift a wheel, a Titan- swapped Frontier can keep all 4 tires planted due to the extra flex. If the front can flex more, the back doesnt have to work as hard...

·
Registered
12,584 Posts
i have a 2wd 06 frontier n i wanted to know wats mods i can make to it so that i can have as much fun with it as if i had a 4wd , i just hate getting stuck smtimes lol , i have installD an injen air intake, new front bilstein struts n a 2.5" rough country leveling kit.... thanks any suggestions will b appreciated
depends on what you think is more fun, going fast or going where a truck shouldn't be able to. there are lots of 2wd guys on here that don't have 4wd and have a good time with their truck. it really comes down to how far you want to push it.

this guy knows what he is talking about;
Having more travel in the front helps keep the rear tires planted. Where some stock width Frontiers will lift a wheel, a Titan- swapped Frontier can keep all 4 tires planted due to the extra flex. If the front can flex more, the back doesnt have to work as hard...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Search for Titan swap and you'll get all the answers you need, but I"ll summarize it for you. The titan swap is when you swap the front control arms for arms off of a Titan. They bolt straight on, and it gives you more suspension travel. More travel= fewer tires off the ground in un-even terrain, which is what you need in a 2wd. I take mine everywhere my 4wd friends go; I just have to be more careful than they do, and plan ahead a little more.

thanks man, mmm i have two other questions for uu i just installed 2 new front struts and a 2.5'' in leveling kit on it nnn yesterday i did sm offroading n it help alot i didnt get stock or anything if i were to do the whole titan swap deal will i need to get rid of the leveling kit? can i use my new struts w it??? also u mention smthing about a the rear locker ? how do i do that aswell or what would i need? sry for all the Q's mm kindaaa of new in this whole modification stuff lol thanksss

·
Registered
1,880 Posts

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
thanks man, mmm i have two other questions for uu i just installed 2 new front struts and a 2.5'' in leveling kit on it nnn yesterday i did sm offroading n it help alot i didnt get stock or anything if i were to do the whole titan swap deal will i need to get rid of the leveling kit? can i use my new struts w it??? also u mention smthing about a the rear locker ? how do i do that aswell or what would i need? sry for all the Q's mm kindaaa of new in this whole modification stuff lol thanksss
a titan swap is just basically replacing the upper and lower control arms for ones off a titan...it bolts right in since its the same chassis...it will add 3 more inches per side...since its widening your front end, you will need a sway bar and sway bar end links from a titan for the new track width...as far as steering, you can either use a tie rod extension which is easier to install or swap your inner tie rod for one off a titan...extended brakelines would be next and that would complete a titan swap....its actually easy to install since its OEM and just bolts in better than an after market control arm...you can keep the lift you have and have a better stance that is very functional and more aggresive looking as well...

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
thanks bro that really clear things up do u know anything about the rear locker? or anything i can do to the rear of the truck to have even better performance ? thanks again

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
quoted for truth, i didn't think about that...

·
Premium Member
229 Posts
what about a 1st gen frontier? 2000 2wd cc.

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only thing about a locker is turning on the blacktop. You haft to turn wider or the tires will spin a little on one side. That's how it is on my buddies yota. Am I correct on that?

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.