1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
get Nissan Matic-S

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
M1 and Amsoil are the site favorites. Both are full syn so they are better then the OEM matic J and cheaper then the matic S (non susposed to be fully syn).

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
^x2 both mobile 1 and amsoil exceed the JASO 1A spec that our trannys are designed for and the same spec that matic j (which is actually castrol transmaxJ, nissan buys it from them and sells it under the name matic j) was designed based on. there is also pennzoil ATF-J (noticing a pattern with the Js lol). basically just look for a company you trust and see if they have a fluid that exceeds the JASO 1A standard thats also synthetic and your set.

·
Registered
272 Posts
AMSOiL all day long!!!

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
i dont think you will need the full 11.

full fill from drain is 11 3/4 but there will be a lot thats not going to come out. unless this is a new dry trans.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
^x2 you'll get like 5 ish qts from a drain job. a two bucket flush is a good diy way to get all the old fluid out and replaced with the new stuff other wise your really just diluting your new fluid with mostly old stuff in the tranny. if you are set on dropping the pan then i would drain, drop the pan, clean the magnets and the screen on the pick up (since we dont' have a filter), put it all back together and refill till level is good then do a two bucket to get the rest of the old out. when doing the two bucket i usually use about 15 qts (generated that number for our trucks but the idea is a few more qts than it holds) just to be sure i'm getting the most possible all new fluid left in the trans. you end up wasting a little i guess but in my head its worth it.

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
yeah thats how i did my last flush. pulled a line and let it drain while i added some.
dont forget to pull the park brake and go through all the gears.

that screen you really shouldnt have to pull. or at least look at it before you pull it off. it might not be needed.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
yeah i probably wouldn't even bother dropping the pan myself

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
^^X2, don't waste the time dropping the pan.

Clint

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
not always. i found a lot of debris in the pan that i pulled. and its nice piece of mind to know there isnt a lot of metal shavings in your trans.

·
Registered
717 Posts
I was going to order a case of Royal Purple MAX ATF, but instead opted to keep it OEM (Matic-J) not K..that's for a Titan. Nissan service tech told me to just do the drain and fill, a flush is unnecessary for my truck. The gears aren't sticking, it's not jolting, the fluid doesn't look bad and doesn't smell burnt. I would just strain it if I wanted to do it. Was told the metal shavings are off the retaining washer when you opt for a full flush. Plus I got a case for less then 50% of what *my* dealer quoted me at http://www.nissanpart4u.com/Scripts/default.asp and my truck is at just a hair under 67K.

·
Super Moderator
11,539 Posts
not always. i found a lot of debris in the pan that i pulled. and its nice piece of mind to know there isnt a lot of metal shavings in your trans.
How about if he removes the drain plug and it's free of shavings? If there are lots of shavings isn't the trans starting to fail already?

Clint

·
Registered
67 Posts
Royal Purple also meets the specs and is as good and yet cheaper that the others like Amsoil. Check out Amazon. Good prices and free shipping.

Larry:)

·
Premium Member
12,133 Posts
How about if he removes the drain plug and it's free of shavings? If there are lots of shavings isn't the trans starting to fail already?

Clint
the plug doesnt collect shavings like the rings do. and even if there are a lot doesnt mean the trans is failing. just means there are shavings. depending on what could either mean a big problem or not really a problem at all.

what i found

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
what i wiped up

end result

"filter" and gasket

pan pulled

piece of mind.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts