Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have a 09 frontier and just hit 3500 miles and have been wanting to change my own oil. im going to switch to synthetic. do you guys use 10w30 or 5w30 and what kind of brand? what kind of oil filter too? Note i live in Hawaii. Hows royal purple? What filter would be good with that?

·
Registered
155 Posts
I use Mobil 1 5W30 and either a Mobil 1, Bosch filter or a NAPA filter. In a pinch a Fram Tough Gaurd will do but only if I have to.

Here is a good article on oil filters and some of thier differences.
Oil Filters Revealed - MiniMopar Resources

I get the Mobil 1 @ Walmart (cheaper than anywhere else).

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
whats the part number for the mobil 1 oil filter? would that b e ok to use with royal purple 5w30 or 10w30

·
Registered
615 Posts
Where do you live? If you live in a warm climate, 10w30 is fine.If you live in a mostly cold climate, 5w30 is better. The w meaning winter. Use Mobile1 or the new Castrol Edge synthetic. Or if you want to fork out the dough, Amsoil.

·
Registered
5,589 Posts
mobil 1, napa filter every 5000 miles (while I had a warranty it was every 3750, overkill I know) actually, come to think of it, I put something else in this time..dont remember what though, one fo the other synthetics available at wally world...

·
Registered
2,326 Posts
5w30 mobil1 with Nissan filter. Filter costs like $5.00. I buy a bunch from courtesy when I order parts. I use maybe 2 filters a year.

·
Registered
770 Posts
napa full syn which is valvoline and napa gold filter which is wix, switch from regular to this combination and so far seems to work better-pluss your not rolling under the frontier as often having to change every 3000.

I just cant believe how small our oil filters are and how little oil our rigs take, but maybe the different generations of frontiers have different regulations???

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
5-30 pennzoil platinum full syn and had been using nissan filters. switched to purolator pure one filters cuz i can get them at discount with my oil at pepboys - they usually have specials going...

·
Registered
298 Posts
I use Mobil 1 synthetic 5w-30 and a Mobil 1 filter. I live in Pennsylvania now but I also used it when i lived in the California desert too. Supposedly you get better gas mileage with 5w-30 as opposed to 10w-30 but I have not personally done a comparison. Its my understanding that Honda specifically recommends 5w-20 in their vehicles for that exact reason.

The part number for the M1 filter is M1-110. If you have an Autozone around you they usually have deals every few months on the M1 and Royal Purple parts.

·
Banned
6,781 Posts
Mobile 1

1 - 20 of 21 Posts