Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Our regular old spring type mattress is shot.
We purchased the mattress shortly after getting married around 18 years ago.
We've flipped it, rotated it etc and got all the use out of it we possibly could.
So we need to get a new mattress sooner rather than later.

I'm mainly interested to hear from people who have either the Tempur-Pedic type (foam) or the Sleep Number type (air) mattress.
We have a king size bed now and want to stay that size, if that even matters for this discussion.

Are either of those a better choice than a traditional spring type mattress?
They sure sell a bunch of both types from what I see so I suspect they have benefits that a traditional mattress does not.

What kind do you have?
What do like or not like about it?

EDIT: Probably should also ask if you sleep on your back, side or stomach?

Thanks in advance people!

·
Registered
358 Posts
Sleep number bed hands down. if you want a bit of both worlds, buy a 4 memeory foam (real memeory foam) topper....
we now have 3 in our house. a king 5000 for the wife and I, and 2 queen 3000's for the kids.
no matter what mood (or pain) you are in you can always adjust the bed firmer or softer....

·
Registered
397 Posts
The memory foam is nice, but it can be tough to roll over while sleeping since you kind of sink into it. I agree with the post above, buy the sleep number and if you still want the memory foam, get the toppers.

Dan

·
Registered
83 Posts
I have a king size Sleep Number bed, I have no complaints whatsoever. I like it, just initially it takes time time get it just right, I suggest going to a Select Comfort store near you, and they have a test bed to determine what your sleep number is. And you can try it for 30 days, and they will come out and even set it up for you. Very pleased after 3 1/2 years.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
If you go with tempur-pedic, don't get a "generic" one. We tried that first, worked great for about 4 years, and then it started to not "rebound". There were definite pockets in it. Now we got the real deal. If you or your wife is a tosser or turner, you will never be bothered again. My wife used to always wake up when I would slink in late from a night of drinking with the boys, now she asks me what time I came home when she wakes up in the morning, gives me a little chance to pad the numbers!

·
Premium Member
3,669 Posts
We got a tempur-pedic or however the hell it's spelled, about a year ago. I did a lot of high-speed stuff in the Marines. All this BS caused a lot of lower back pain, especially in the morning after waking up on our old spring mattress. Since we got the temp. I have not felt any lower back pain. I always wake up energized regardless of how much sleep I get (4 hours or 10 hours I wake up the same way). On the weekends when I'm home, the kids will bounce around on the bed and not wake me until they decide it's time to jump on me like I'm a f-ing trampolene. It also has a 20 year warranty, and you never have to flip it.

Now the negative note, I have only two:
When you first get it from the warehouse, it stinks. When I leave for a few weeks/months or so and come back home, I can still smell it in the house. You get used to it quickly and won't notice by the end of the day though. The second gripe is no other bed compares to it, so you'll sleep like $hit in any other bed (not really a gripe, but I travel all the time).

The price seemed high when we bought it ($4k), the first few nights it felt weird to sleep on (just a different style of mattress than you are used to) but now I would gladly pay double what I paid for the mattress, no question about it.

Hope you get what you want.

·
Registered
9,344 Posts
We got a tempur-pedic or however the hell it's spelled, about a year ago. I did a lot of high-speed stuff in the Marines. All this BS caused a lot of lower back pain, especially in the morning after waking up on our old spring mattress. Since we got the temp. I have not felt any lower back pain. I always wake up energized regardless of how much sleep I get (4 hours or 10 hours I wake up the same way). On the weekends when I'm home, the kids will bounce around on the bed and not wake me until they decide it's time to jump on me like I'm a f-ing trampolene. It also has a 20 year warranty, and you never have to flip it.

Now the negative note, I have only two:
When you first get it from the warehouse, it stinks. When I leave for a few weeks/months or so and come back home, I can still smell it in the house. You get used to it quickly and won't notice by the end of the day though. The second gripe is no other bed compares to it, so you'll sleep like $hit in any other bed (not really a gripe, but I travel all the time).

The price seemed high when we bought it ($4k), the first few nights it felt weird to sleep on (just a different style of mattress than you are used to) but now I would gladly pay double what I paid for the mattress, no question about it.

Hope you get what you want.
I'm sure if your bed in the Marines is like the one I have over here in Balad. I'm sure that didn't help your back I have yet to have a night I haven;t woken up with my back hurting..

But anyway I went forma cheap bed to a good bed and make a world of defrence. I did read an artical after i got my last bed that guys tend to buy hard mattrus then they need.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The wife and I bought a sleep number after hearing nothing but good things from my parents and my brother. It was a good investment although i've had to periodically check the setting as temp. and atmospheric pressure can affect it. Good Luck.

·
Registered
5,928 Posts
i just picked up a simmons beautyrest last week. its traditional spring-mattress with a memory foam pillow top. man is this thing awesome. granted, what your looking for is out of my league in terms of what i can afford (got it at a half-off sale, after all was said and done (queen size, box, frame, etc) i paid just under a G. and no payments/interest for 12 months sealed the deal.

anyway, ive never fallen asleep so fast in all my life, nor have i ever slept so soundly in any bed ive owned or had the pleasure of sleeping in. the memory foam is what does it, and im glad i went that route.

btw, im a side sleeper.

·
Registered
3,327 Posts
Started a mattress thread on the other forum, i got mine for around $400 off of ebay but you have to becareful who you buy it from. Some cheat you buy giving you seperated layers. I love my "Cheap" memory foam mattress, its almost like my dads 1,500 tempurpedic bed.

·
Super Moderator
12,702 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)

·
Registered
262 Posts
let me start off with we shopped for over 2 months and it paid off big time. We found that the simmons beautyrest nxg series it's the bomb. Sealy ( i can't remember the series, they were almost identical. The price varies so much from store to store because they all carry different models, witch are really all the same. We want the king size, but man it was like a little over 6,000 out the door. Thank god we took a different way home ans drove past a mattress wholesale store. Went in the next day and got the same matters delivered for a tad over 2,000 . FIND A WHOLESALE STORE....

1 - 20 of 21 Posts