Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all again I am here to ask what might be a dumb question to everyone but I would like to be on safe side since I just had a friend ( seriously a friend) lol that basically put in green coolant in his truck a Chevy and his waterpump went out and the dealer told him that it was because he was supposed to use blue coolant. So I dont know how true this is but maybe you all can give some insight... lol sorry for dumb question I personally think that they are just saying that so he will have to pay out of pocket......
any info would be greatly appreciated..
thanks, Niel,

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
That's something I have been wondering, too. I was going to search for it, but then I saw your post here.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you Speed i appreciate it I am gonna change fuilds this week end and want to kane sure that everything is right.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Thank you Speed i appreciate it I am gonna change fuilds this week end and want to kane sure that everything is right.
I'll be swapping my coolant soon as well. I've still got the original 2004 fluids in mine. Yikes.

·
Registered
704 Posts
it not the glycol,gm rads are sensitive to it and some others thats why they use dexcool thats orange,never looked into the cool blue,.
i am not saying it needs the glycol(it does not affect it negitively,like acid)
its cheaper than the other 2 anyhow and its not special,just good ole green anti freeze

Coolant and heat transfer agent
The major use of ethylene glycol is as a medium for convective heat transfer in, for example, automobiles and liquid cooled computers. Ethylene glycol is also commonly used in chilled water air conditioning systems that place either the chiller or air handlers outside, or systems that must cool below the freezing temperature of water. In geothermal heating/cooling systems, ethylene glycol is the fluid that transports heat through the use of a geothermal heat pump. The ethylene glycol either gains energy from the source (lake, ocean, water well) or dissipates heat to the source, depending if the system is being used for heating or cooling.

Due to its low freezing point and tendency to form glasses, ethylene glycol resists freezing. A mixture of 60% ethylene glycol and 40% water does not freeze until temperatures below -45 °C (-49°F).[3] Diethyleneglycol behaves similarly. It is used as a deicing fluid for windshields and aircraft. The antifreeze capabilities of ethylene glycol have made it an important component of vitrification (anti-crystallization) mixtures for low-temperature preservation of biological tissues and organs.

Ethylene glycol disrupts hydrogen bonding when dissolved in water. Pure ethylene glycol freezes at about -12 °C (10.4°F), but when intermixed with water molecules, neither can readily form a solid crystal structure, and therefore the freezing point of the mixture is depressed significantly. The minimum freezing point is observed when the ethylene glycol percent in water is about 70%, as shown below. This is the reason pure ethylene glycol is not used as an antifreeze--water is a necessary component as well.
:fantastic:

·
Registered
704 Posts
Ten years after General Motors began using Dex-Cool as an antifreeze in most of its cars and light trucks, GM car and truck owners continue to complain that the coolant corrodes and clogs radiators and radiator caps, erodes water pumps, rots radiator hoses, causes chronic overheating and engine damage while leading to leaky engine gaskets.

Read more: GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
08 or 09+ use red coolant. Nissan that is - not sure what it is tho

·
Super Moderator
11,530 Posts
Nissan has a blue 150,000 mile coolant but the dealer said he wouldn't ever let it go that long.

Clint

·
Registered
704 Posts
maybe that new biodegradeable stuff,we use something similar at work in the new macks supposed to enviromentaly friendly its purpul (its just dye)

·
Registered
1,351 Posts
my 2010 is blue

·
Registered
8,742 Posts
must be blue, not red. my bad. damn new fangled vehicles hahaha

·
Registered
373 Posts
Ten years after General Motors began using Dex-Cool as an antifreeze in most of its cars and light trucks, GM car and truck owners continue to complain that the coolant corrodes and clogs radiators and radiator caps, erodes water pumps, rots radiator hoses, causes chronic overheating and engine damage while leading to leaky engine gaskets.

Read more: GM Owners Still Steaming Over Dex-Cool
Had this happen to my wife's mini van. When contamination or AIR gets in the system it turns into to this greasy silty substance. Dealership gave me the - we have not heard of any issues:censor: Wont buy another GM as long as they continue to use Dexcool.

Back on topic - so good old fashion Green it is for Nissans?

·
Registered
704 Posts
mine is an 2006 it takes green i guess some newer ones have something different,check service book to be sure,someone could have worked on the truck prior and used something else?

·
Registered
755 Posts
the best coolant on the market is the regular green that's been around since forever. when you mix coolant types (dex cool and green, etc) they react and fill the system with goop. Toyota has used pink/red for awhile, Honda has used blue (that you can only get from Honda) for years, Ford uses a gold/yellow version of basically Dex Cool. Nissan has used green, but they are most likely converting to something like Honda Blue.

IMO for any vehicle, best thing to do is fully flush the system with water and cleaner, then flush with 50/50 green coolant and water, plus an additive like Water Wetter.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys I see we can use the green colant correct well yesterday I went to buy some Prestone 50/50 green and they said they only had yellow can this one be used? Because they sold me the Autozone green but its not 50/50 and I am not sure on to mix this. Please let me know thanks>..

·
Registered
8,529 Posts
Go to the store and buy 2 gallons of distilled water. Pour 1/2gal of coolant into the radiator followed by 1/2 gallon of D-water. Pour rest of D-water into coolant bottle to make your own 50/50. Then pour into radiator. If you need more, make your own 50/50 again with the empty coolant jug, full jug and the 1gal of D-water.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts