Nissan Frontier Forum banner
1 - 20 of 866 Posts

· Registered
2020 Pro 4x 4x4 with way too many features
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have reached a point where many members have had time to experience the new Frontier. I was wondering what/if any, was your most irritating issue with the new roll out.
I know what many have said they wish it had, I am wondering what you think of what they do have in the Gen 3 design and function???

· Registered
2022,White Frontier CC Pro 4X
63 Posts
Small gripe, the switch for the backseat lighting is in between contacts , sometimes it comes on when you open the doors sometimes it doesn’t. You have to play around with it. 45 K All switches should work

· Registered
1,328 Posts
Only had a short test drive but I definitely feel they cheaped out on the seats a bit on the loaded Pro X I drove. My loaded 19 has a nice tilt adjustment whereas the new seat does not. I felt I was sitting closer to floor leaning down a bit. I definitely prefer the outgoing seat. Also the passenger side is no longer powered. Its manual. Was not impressed and feel they downgraded the seats.

· Registered
439 Posts
I had to fish my jack out of it's cradle behind the rear seat. That wasn't super easy. I managed to get it out ok though.

I love the seats that someone else complained about. Would be nice if the was height adjustment on the d side, the p side should be powered and I'm a bit disappointed that the d side doesn't position memory functions. But comfort-wise, I find these seats amazing.

The camera resolution isn't awesome but that's fine with me - I'm watching for objects, not trying to display a 4K movie.

Haven't had any issues with my rear door light switch. To be fair, I don't use it a ton.

I really wish the factory had put a remote tailgate lock in, that's really annoying always having to make sure the tailgate is locked but that's not really a gripe about the truck.

· Registered
33 Posts
1) back up camera in the SV is okay but there are much better ones out there
2) Cruise Control needs a setting to adjust it's "aggressiveness" to get up to set speed
3) Sticker in the headlight assembly (I'm really hoping I'm one in a million and that's a one-off problem)
4) Key fob buttons are not distinct enough to be able to lock or unlock the doors easily when key fob in your pocket. The unlock button has two little knobs on them to help, but they are so slight it's hard to tell. You would have to have the softest hands in the world to really feel those. Last I looked, I drive a truck, which means I do work with my hands, which means their callused, which means I can't really feel the buttons. The SV doesn't have the lock/un-lock buttons on the door handles, so I have to use the key fob every time. Which means it's only every time I get in or out of the truck that I need to use the buttons!
5) There isn't much room between the door panel and the seat so I feel like my watch is going to scratch up the door panel as I have to ram my arm down between the seat and up against the door panel to adjust the seat. I would hate to scratch the doors over the years I plan on having this truck because of seat adjustments.

· Registered
33 Posts
What I do love:
1) Love the looks
2) Love that it rides like a truck, but smoother than a truck
3) I like that it’s so damn quiet in the truck.
4) I like the 8" infotainment screen. It's a good size, good resolution and color. Works well with Apple Car Play.
5) I like the seats and seating position. The frontier has always been the right size for me.
6) I like the size of the truck. I have the crew cab, long bed. Lots of utility and interior space.
7) I like that the payload has increased over the previous generation. I have SV fully loaded (no leather or sunroof) with long bed and Payload is 1,100 lbs which is better than a lot of full size trucks.
8) I like that it has a tow/haul mode, standard sway control, and auxiliary gauges that will show transmission temperature, oil temp, oil pressure and of course coolant temp. This makes for a great options to tow with.
9) I like the Deep Blue Pearl
10) I like the cloth seats. They are two-tone grey/black and look really nice and feel high quality.
11) I like that the heated steering wheel heats up the whole way around the wheel
12) I like that it came standard with remote start
13) I like the looks and brightness of the headlights (the LED versions) and turn signal indicators
14) I like the look of the LED tail lights
15) I like that I upgraded to beefier Yokohama Geolandar a/t tires instead of the highway all seasons that come standard on SV trims.
16) I like the large and deep center arm-rest/console
17) I like the number of cubbies, door pockets, and under seat storage.
18) I like that the tow hooks and hitch come standard on the SV Sport trim in Canada
19) I like the deal I got when I bought it!
20) And finally, I like that it's the only one I've seen so far out on the road.

There's probably more that I will think of as soon as I hit "Post"!

· Registered
17 Posts
Over the weekend, I had the front collision avoidance activate twice and actually start to apply the brakes on the turnpike. Both times heading towards an overpass, but on a straight section of the road. It was a bright sunny day and the road under the overpass was in deep shade. Luckily, the system quickly realized its error and only briefly applied the brakes. May have to get this looked at/adjusted (if possible).

Other than that, I love the truck. The only complaints are the unpowered outside mirrors and the unpowered tailgate lock. Yeah, it's a basic truck (an S), but these omissions are pretty cheap on Nissan's part for a $35K vehicle. That, and I'm still waiting for the dealer installed hitch.

· Registered
5 Posts
Biggest gripe so far: Intelligent Cruise control will take you all the way down to a stop which is great. But then it will beep at you and disable itself. When it disables, it releases the brake and then the truck starts rolling forward. It should keep the brake on until you either press the brake, gas, or hit resume on the ICC. If for some reason you dont pay attention and it turns off the brake, you are going to slowly roll into the vehicle in front of you.

I wish it had auto 4x4. It can already detect slip and implement the electronic control by applying a break - it should also be able to apply 4x4.
I also wish it had lane keeping assist. I really miss setting the dynamic cruise and letting lane keep do most of the highway driving.

· Registered
37 Posts
I had to fish my jack out of it's cradle behind the rear seat. That wasn't super easy. I managed to get it out ok though.

I love the seats that someone else complained about. Would be nice if the was height adjustment on the d side, the p side should be powered and I'm a bit disappointed that the d side doesn't position memory functions. But comfort-wise, I find these seats amazing.

The camera resolution isn't awesome but that's fine with me - I'm watching for objects, not trying to display a 4K movie.

Haven't had any issues with my rear door light switch. To be fair, I don't use it a ton.

I really wish the factory had put a remote tailgate lock in, that's really annoying always having to make sure the tailgate is locked but that's not really a gripe about the truck.
I'm with you on the tailgate lock. it didn't even occur to me that this would be an option. Having it installed next week.

· Registered
33 Posts
Biggest gripe so far: Intelligent Cruise control will take you all the way down to a stop which is great. But then it will beep at you and disable itself. When it disables, it releases the brake and then the truck starts rolling forward. It should keep the brake on until you either press the brake, gas, or hit resume on the ICC. If for some reason you dont pay attention and it turns off the brake, you are going to slowly roll into the vehicle in front of you.

I wish it had auto 4x4. It can already detect slip and implement the electronic control by applying a break - it should also be able to apply 4x4.
I also wish it had lane keeping assist. I really miss setting the dynamic cruise and letting lane keep do most of the highway driving.
I'm pretty sure that's because it doesn't have an electronic parking brake. The cars that can hold the break actually apply the electronic parking brake. Which is the same when the car has "Brake Hold" where you can take your foot off the brake when you're sitting at a red light. Not in the Frontiers though, they have the old reliable cable pulley manual parking break.

When the radar cruise brakes, I believe it applies pressure to the master brake cylinder with a small motor. If it were to hold the brake for too long it would burn out the motor. So it warns the driver and then releases the brake. My Subaru Crosstrek did the same thing because it also didn't have electric parking brake.

· Registered
2017 Pro-4X w/Luxury Package
1,390 Posts

You don't want auto 4WD. If these were AWD vehicles then yes, but these are 4WD. Very different.

· Registered
41 Posts
For me the biggest advantage to the previous Gen was the low bed loading height w/ gate down. I haul lots of items and have for almost 50 years of truck ownership. I know the new Gen is higher, how much is still out for question. I've measured the Crew cab, 4WD and its at 33.0" which is .5" lower than my 2013 Silverado W/T. While that might not sound bad, my work truck has been lowered 1.5" at the rear already......:( I'm anxious to measure a new Gen 2WD King Cab to determine where I stand. BTW, the new FWD Maverick sits 30.5" w/ gate down, nirvana!

· Premium Member
8,504 Posts
Biggest gripe - people not posting threads like this in the 3rd Gen forum. So, I have to move every thread, every day.
At least they aren't flooding the forum with "First 3rd gen Frontier in [insert random city here]!" threads like it's some contest 🤷‍♂️

· Registered
65 Posts
I agree with all JP_yyc items in both his likes and dislikes and particularly want to stree how much I hate the aggressiveness of the cruise control.
Also want to second the lack of seat tilt and lumbar support and total lack of a passanger side electric seat.
Would have liked telescoping steering wheel as well.

But I want to also afirm its a great little truck, fun to drive and looks great as well. I absolutely love it.

1 - 20 of 866 Posts