Nissan Frontier Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry if it has already been brought up but I did a search and could not find what this was for. The service dept at the dealership didn't even know. I have one on each side in the front of the bed cab. It is a 2017. Does anyone know what these are or what they are used for, if anything? I could not find anything in the owner's manual either.

Attachments

·
Registered
183 Posts
Never really though what it was for but I used it to pass my battery wires through for my house battery. Word of caution wrap it on something cause it's a sharp edge. I ended up round it out with a file a little.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Admin
3,280 Posts
Removable and replaceable access hole covers. I drilled through mine. Often also used for drain holes for tonneau covers that have drain tubes.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you Brian. I was thinking I could somehow rig my lock for the bed extender into that hole but I doubt it will work. Oh well, hopefully this will deter someone or make it harder for them to steal. I read a thread on here that the bed extender could easily be lifted up and taken, but that cannot happen unless the brackets are slid out all the way. And it the tailgate is locked, they should not be able to steal it correct?

Attachments

·
Admin
3,280 Posts
^ I'm not sure personally because I don't have a bed extender, I do recall a thread on here recently taking about that, but I can't seem to find it. There was a debate whether orienting the extender in a certain way and locking the tailgate was secure or not, but I don't remember the outcome of that discussion.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, thanks. Yeah I believe as long as the bed extender is all the way to the tailgate, and the tailgate is locked, it cannot be stolen easily. Maybe someone else will chime in later.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well, I think I made it harder and hopefully it will deter a would be thief, but if they want it bad enough and steal it all the more power to them. I wish I knew this before I got it but oh well. The brackets do not come off except for the back so as long as the tailgate is locked, they can only move the brackets back and fourth because they will only slide off in the rear, as there is not enough room for the brackets to slide forward and be removed.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
@17Pro4x thanks for posting this! I've been wanting to get one of these (motorcycle version) but was hesitant due to I heard you just tilt it up and comes off... but if you cant with the tail gate locked im definitely buying one.....

*In CA(and really all over the US) if someone wants to steal your ****, they will. No matter what you do to as a safety precaution. Just hope for the best, expect the worst

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
as long as the bed extender is all the way to the tailgate, and the tailgate is locked, it cannot be stolen easily.
That's pretty much it really. If someone wants to steal it all they really need to do is rotate the bracket knobs, slide it forward, and they have the extender (replacement brackets can be purchased afterward easily from OEM). Even with a cable lock, in reality all it takes is a screwdriver to undo the part where you put the cable; the extender comes apart easily. But again, they really, really want it if they go this far.

When I have mine in the bed (with the tonneau open) having it against the locked tailgate is enough where someone can't just conveniently rotate it and remove it without added effort. Adding a bike lock adds to that inconvenience, so unless you always park in a high "crime of opportunity" area, having the extender up against the locked tailgate should be just fine.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I am wondering if there's some logical reason for that hole to line up with the utilitrack rail. Like maybe if you needed to slide the cleat all the way forward, you could pop out the cover and the end of the cleat would go thru.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,875 Posts
I am wondering if there's some logical reason for that hole to line up with the utilitrack rail. Like maybe if you needed to slide the cleat all the way forward, you could pop out the cover and the end of the cleat would go thru.
I think you're overthinking it ::smile::

·
Registered
141 Posts
No one will steal the bed extenders, you can't give those things away. :)

Lol hey if they'll just give me one I'll take it. All I'd really want it for is a place to rest the end of my rifle when my buddies and I go shoot. It would be nice to be able to lay in the bed and have something to prop up the barrel on.

·
Premium Member
174 Posts
Lol hey if they'll just give me one I'll take it. All I'd really want it for is a place to rest the end of my rifle when my buddies and I go shoot. It would be nice to be able to lay in the bed and have something to prop up the barrel on.
If you're ever in Southern California, I have one that I don't have any use for...

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
You shot prone. I have used both the hood and the bed rails as a rest. Would have never thought to add a bed extender for just that purpose.

·
Registered
141 Posts
You shot prone. I have used both the hood and the bed rails as a rest. Would have never thought to add a bed extender for just that purpose.

Well the place we've gone to in the mountains is nice but... isn't the most comfortable to lay on the ground and use a fallen tree as a rest. I thought the bed of the truck would be a little nicer and having the extender to rest on would be handy. It's not the only thing I'd use it for but probably what I'd use it for more often.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
If anything, it is valuable to give you more space in the bed and acts as a wall so nothing can slip out. I also put propane and gas tanks in the corners of the bed and the extender helps prevent them from moving around.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts